Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 01:12 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,275,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yeah, but who gets to decide this????

Who decides if my mother lives or dies....that should be up to her, not anyone else...period
Just wait until medicare fails, and it will. You will see this in your lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Hey, just because you live in a country with a reasonable, cost-effective and fair system for providing its citizens with health care, what gives you the impression you're qualified to comment on the ignorance of people who patently know nothing about such a system but think they do?

Eh?
Are you trying to say that European countries do not deny care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Lol! You're absolutely right. Just because I'm nurse, who lived and worked in both countries doesn't qualify me to say anything to those whose information comes from their plumber's neighbour's son-in law who once met someone from Canada.
Some nerve, eh?

Same question. Are you trying to say that European countries do not deny care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 01:24 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,340,289 times
Quote:
Same question. Are you trying to say that European countries do not deny care?
I'm not going to be presumptuous enough to opine on European health care. I don't have any first-hand knowledge. I never lived there and I never worked there.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:28 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,148,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Apart from the question being a contemptibly weak sort of rebuttal, it's none of his business what sort of insurance I have.
I was the one who asked the question..

#1. I'm a she... not a he.
#2. I was asking because as one who has a policy, I'm trying to figure out if I have a Cadillac policy or a plain ole beat up Chevy policy as it were.
#3. And trying to figure out how I'm "denying access to the most basic care to millions of others," to quote you, just because I simply can't afford anymore more out my pocket for others because I pay. I'm tapped out.

Your callousness speaks volume to me about your character when it comes to others feelings regarding family and their health, yet you are a proponent of the poor? I'm trying to figure out your motives... Do you really care? Or do you just care that YOUR paid-for by others?

Last edited by aus10; 03-21-2013 at 01:39 PM..

Old 03-21-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
And trying to figure out how I'm "denying access to the most basic care to millions of others," to quote you, just because I simply can't afford anymore more out my pocket for others because I pay. I'm tapped out.

.....and that's why I said the folks picking up the tab should determine whether any further care is reasonable or not. You can't pay for everything for everybody. We'd be tapped out. Even insurance companies don't pay for everthing for everybody.
There was a huge brouhaha here over whether or not to let an anencephalic preemie continue on life support, at the cost of millions of dollars. I say no.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:47 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,148,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
.....and that's why I said the folks picking up the tab should determine whether any further care is reasonable or not. You can't pay for everything for everybody. We'd be tapped out. Even insurance companies don't pay for everthing for everybody.
There was a huge brouhaha here over whether or not to let an anencephalic preemie continue on life support, at the cost of millions of dollars. I say no.
In this case.. I would most likely agree with you. Same with me... I have a health directive, saying when too much is too much... let me go. But, at the same time, when men in three piece business suits get the final say as to who gets coverage, how long someone lives, and how doctor's do their jobs, that's wrong too. Don't you agree?

If I felt that Obama care would do what it actually was supposed to... Make sure everyone had at least basic care, take costs down, and was cost effective, I think 99.9% of us would have jumped on board no matter which political party thought of it. We need medical reform. But to me... it seems like nothing more than insurance reform, or should that be insurance forced upon us, with no common sense or planning on how this is going to effect most of us.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
If I felt that Obama care would do what it actually was supposed to... Make sure everyone had at least basic care, take costs down, and was cost effective, I think 99.9% of us would have jumped on board no matter which political party thought of it. We need medical reform. But to me... it seems like nothing more than insurance reform
Agreed. You absolutely need insurance reform, and the way it stands now is Obama having thrown a bone to the insurance companies. Having said that, it wasn't the original intent. True socialized medicine, however, smacks too much of communism/facism/marxism and the right was literally seeing red. In any case, it's a start. Many politicians have been clamouring for some kind of health reform for at least 50 years.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:58 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,275,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post

If I felt that Obama care would do what it actually was supposed to... Make sure everyone had at least basic care, take costs down, and was cost effective, I think 99.9% of us would have jumped on board no matter which political party thought of it. We need medical reform. But to me... it seems like nothing more than insurance reform, or should that be insurance forced upon us, with no common sense or planning on how this is going to effect most of us.
Where would you get the idea that Obamacare would do any of that?

Old 03-21-2013, 03:30 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,230,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
How much would you want your husband and kids to destitute themselves to keep you around for another month?

My personal belief is this...I have a living will, I do not want to be resessitated, nor do I want to live my life out if I am unable to communicate, function, etc. No, I would not want to be kept around for another month...
However, some people do, and that should be their decission alone....
Of course...reasonable and sensible and I'm sure you meant to include that you wouldn't want your husband to liqudate everything, sell your home, etc etc to pay for such a thing.

Yet, if others want the rest of the population to pay so that they can be unreasonable and make illogical decisions, we should just shell out and cater to that useless bit of selfishness?

Old 03-22-2013, 07:40 AM

28,965 posts, read 30,316,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Of course...reasonable and sensible and I'm sure you meant to include that you wouldn't want your husband to liqudate everything, sell your home, etc etc to pay for such a thing.

Yet, if others want the rest of the population to pay so that they can be unreasonable and make illogical decisions, we should just shell out and cater to that useless bit of selfishness?
Please, pathetic is the only word I can find....

suit yourself....there is surely nothing that anyone else could ever say that would bring you back...even 1/4 of the way....you are to far gone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies