Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:29 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,289,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
FOR THE LAST TIME, WHY ARE THERE NONE OF THESE PEOPLE IN SOMALIA RUNNING AROUND FAT DESPITE THE LACK OF FOOD!? I mean, if all you have to do is see a picture of food and get fat (breaking the laws of physics, btw) then why aren't certain people in North Kora saving pictures of food and fat no matter what? And where were these people 50 years ago?

No, obese people are getting government money for not being able to put down the bon bons and take long walks:
Social Security Disability and Morbid Obesity | Disability Secrets
You're confusing starvation and malnutrition, that's why. There are many many malnourished obese and overweight people around the world, but by the time you get to the point that you are starving, you get extremely skinny. And then you die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,737,287 times
Quote:
FOR THE LAST TIME, WHY ARE THERE NONE OF THESE PEOPLE IN SOMALIA RUNNING AROUND FAT DESPITE THE LACK OF FOOD!? I mean, if all you have to do is see a picture of food and get fat (breaking the laws of physics, btw) then why aren't certain people in North Kora saving pictures of food and fat no matter what? And where were these people 50 years ago? ecrets
This makes no sense whatsoever. It comes across as ignorance. You can take a thyroid patient, a diabetic patient, any patient with any DNA-based or other disease which tends to put on weight, and starve him/her too. It would be starvation, not health. People who have illnesses can all be starved (as you are suggesting). Starvation can be caused on anyone, and does not lead to health, nor does it CURE any of the illnesses. Please try to make some sense next time.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:36 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,982,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
This makes no sense whatsoever. It comes across as ignorance. You can take a thyroid patient, a diabetic patient, any patient with any DNA-based or other disease which tends to put on weight, and starve him/her too. It would be starvation, not health. People who have illnesses can all be starved (as you are suggesting). Starvation can be caused on anyone, and does not lead to health, nor does it CURE any of the illnesses. Please try to make some sense next time.

If there was really a genetic reason for being huge, then Canada would have similar obesity rates as the US. But it does not. Also, our DNA did not change over the past 50 years but the amount of fast food restaurants did. The whole "it's just their genes" argument makes no sense. No one is genetically predisposed to going to McDonalds every day. No one is genetically predisposed to refuse going for a jog. If this was 100 years ago, 99% of the obese people around today would be skinny.

There is no way someone can eat a 2,000 calorie diet and jog for forty minutes a day and still be obese. A little overweight due to thyroid issues? Perhaps, but not 200% overweight like someone on disability would be. You can use the "it's their genes" argument for being a little overweight, but morbid obesity has no excuse.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,737,287 times
Quote:
If there was really a genetic reason for being huge, then Canada would have similar obesity rates as the US. But it does not. Also, our DNA did not change over the past 50 years but the amount of fast food restaurants did. The whole "it's just their genes" argument makes no sense. No one is genetically predisposed to going to McDonalds every day. No one is genetically predisposed to refuse going for a jog. If this was 100 years ago, 99% of the obese people around today would be skinny.

There is no way someone can eat a 2,000 calorie diet and jog for forty minutes a day and still be obese. A little overweight due to thyroid issues? Perhaps, but not 200% overweight like someone on disability would be. You can use the "it's their genes" argument for being a little overweight, but morbid obesity has no excuse.
It is true that people in this country are slightly overweight, but aren't we discussing massive obesity? Massive obesity indicates illness. You're denying that, which leads me to think that you're not very well read and rather ignorant about the causes of morbid obesity. If you bothered to do a little inquiry, you would not be making the nonsense statements that you are about morbid obesity. For example, that the morbidly obese should be starved. Insane suggestion.

Now, if you're going to discuss the slight overweight of Americans, by all means let's do that. I wasn't born here, and I've lived in various countries, and had the opportunity to see the differences in lifestyles. The American lifestyle is conducive to bad health, bad eating habits, little if any exercise, tremendous amounts of stress, every one of which lead to overweight. Canada doesn't suffer from the same bad lifestyle problems the U.S. does. This country has horrifically bad lifestyle. In order to maintain health here, one must make gargantuan efforts - drive to a gym (with almost no time to spare), eat low calories (which isn't good to begin with), be able to afford better food (which isn't feasible for too many people in your country), etc. You're clearly in denial about the low quality of life in your country, and from what you keep posting, it's clear that for you it's a voluntary denial of reality.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:36 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
In order to maintain health here, one must make gargantuan efforts - drive to a gym (with almost no time to spare), eat low calories (which isn't good to begin with), be able to afford better food (which isn't feasible for too many people in your country), etc. You're clearly in denial about the low quality of life in your country, and from what you keep posting, it's clear that for you it's a voluntary denial of reality.
No it doesn't. Americans have it too easy. It's not that it's difficult to be healthy, it's just that it's so easy to be fat here. Whenever I walk into a fat person's home, one startling commonality is that it's messy. The two go together.

In Chechnya, a family (sometimes as many as 10-20 people) can live on 100-200 a month. When winter comes, they don't have money to heat so they tear wood to heat. They don't get any fruits or vegetables during the winter instead eating dried (highly salty) meats, jams, and bread. Health care? If your kid has a fever, is throwing up and can't hold down his food you better know a doctor (family or close friend). If you're old, you better know a doctor. Almost no one has a car. There it's hard to be healthy. But people manage better than Americans.

Again, it's not hard to be healthy in America. It's just easy to be fat and the people sort them who they are.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:38 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,386,781 times
There is food use, and food abuse.

Like anything else.

Use it or abuse it.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:05 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,571,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Actually, I DON'T think that's whats been said. When you look at populations where there is a pervasive problem, you have to determine if the problem is an individual issue, or broader than that. Many here are pretty quick to yammer on about how people who are over weight are eating six hamburgers and sitting on the couch. While that certainly may be true with some individuals, when a third of the population is obese (not just overweight) you also have to look to see if there are other factors at play, and that's what others here have been trying to get at. My guess is the truth lies in the gray areas--it's a combination of environmental and genetic factors, changing life styles in this country, as well as personal choices. It's complicated.

My personal opinion, based on the evidence, is that processed foods play a big role, not only because of their higher calorie content, but because chemicals in those foods may be interfering with how our bodies metabolize and process nutrients, and/or triggering genetic factors that contribute to illness and obesity, including changes in brain chemistry. Eating better quality foods isn't "taking a pill." It requires active choices. It also requires education. The first people to scream here about how food labeling, and public education on health and exercise are some kind of big government plot are the same people whining about obesity on this thread. That's what makes me insane. I'm not saying at all that you did that, but that it's the pervasive attitude with some.
Processed foods and diet foods. Try to find a cottage cheese that's not labelled low fat or no fat. I am thin and hate all the diet stuff out there, that is basically artificial food.
Quote:

A shocking demonstration of the illusion that the typical American has about their diet occurred earlier this year when nine out of 10 Americans told Consumer Reports they were eating a "somewhat," "very," or "extremely" healthy diet.
But if the vast majority of Americans were truly eating healthy, we would not have two-thirds of the population overweight, nor would we be facing epidemics of diet-related chronic diseases like cancer, heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
So what is going on?
Many Americans are seriously confused about what is truly a health food, and this is partly the result of clever and deceptive marketing that makes junk foods and synthetic substances, like artificial sweeteners, appear healthy. Two of the seven fattening "health foods" listed by MSNBC were those that contain artificial sweeteners, such as diet soda. And perhaps no other class of foods deserves the gold medal for "healthy foods" that can make you fat than diet foods themselves.
7 Healthy Foods That Are Making You Fat

and stay away from fried foods, you don't need em.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:23 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,386,781 times
You are what you eat, and you live in a fake food society.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:47 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,454,615 times
Quote:

Sorry not buying what your stating.

My sister and i came from the same background, ate the same damn foods.

I am 5"5 she is 5"3 my measurements to this damn day, no lie are 40 26 36 and yes i am damn proud of that fact.

i have always been shapley, fit and slender, she eating the same exact foods as i, was always heavy, no matter what she ate, or how much she exercised. Same genes here, i was thin and slender and built to the damn hilt still to this day, and she is still very heavey. Please do enlighten me, on why this is.

We ate no differently at all, had the same lifestyle, so why is it that she was heavy, and i was always thin, i felt bad, because i was always told what a great shape i had, and truthfully, that is not what a heavy person needs to here.

Know another family where there are 3 sisters, who all eat the same exact foods, no differently, 2 sisters are thin as a rail, the third, very heavy, why is that, please enlighten me, i really would like the answer to this question!

Since you seem to have the answers, please do tell.

Dr. Oz will even tell you it is in the genes, think i will listen to what he has to say. And if it is not in the genes, why then, are there some people in a family all heavy or tall and slender. There definitely are traits that family members inherit.

Such as i know a family where the wife is around 5"10 the husband around 6"4 and the sons, are too damn tall, too even mention.

I know a family of hispanics, where each family member is very short, why is this, i really want the answers now.

And i do have friends who eat so very little, and walk and exercise, and sorry charlie, but they can't lose for winning, please tell me why, they eat right, drink water, and exercise, but cannot lose a freaking pound.

Last edited by california-jewel; 03-27-2013 at 12:55 AM..

Old 03-27-2013, 10:20 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,982,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Sorry not buying what your stating.

My sister and i came from the same background, ate the same damn foods.

I am 5"5 she is 5"3 my measurements to this damn day, no lie are 40 26 36 and yes i am damn proud of that fact.

i have always been shapley, fit and slender, she eating the same exact foods as i, was always heavy, no matter what she ate, or how much she exercised. Same genes here, i was thin and slender and built to the damn hilt still to this day, and she is still very heavey. Please do enlighten me, on why this is.
I am not buying it. The laws of physics just don't support it. If someone eats right and exercises, they will not be fat. How can a body add mass when you are taking on less mass than you are burning up from exercise? That is impossible.

Quote:
Dr. Oz will even tell you it is in the genes, think i will listen to what he has to say. And if it is not in the genes, why then, are there some people in a family all heavy or tall and slender. There definitely are traits that family members inherit.
And a big chunk of Dr. Oz's viewing audience is house makers who are overweight. Of course he is going to tell his target audience what they want to hear.

Here is some real science that says otherwise: Study burns fat gene myth - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Quote:
Such as i know a family where the wife is around 5"10 the husband around 6"4 and the sons, are too damn tall, too even mention.

I know a family of hispanics, where each family member is very short, why is this, i really want the answers now.

I'm 5'3. Short is genetic. Ever hear of an exercise to get taller? A diet to add a few inches?

And I think it's funny that the same women who yell at a man for finding fat women disgusting would openly say short men are horrible looking. Why doesn't Dr. Oz go on and tell women short men are just genetically born that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies