Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 11:10 AM

491 posts, read 373,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So what? They are minority languages. English is the language spoken by the majority of Americans and is our national de facto language.
May I presume that you have a problem with minorities?

Old 03-27-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Here is your clue. Your grandmother was an elderly person. This guy came here when he was 18 years old! Hate? So to want immigrants to assimilate into our society is hate? I couldn't care less about the money he won. The topic is about the fact that he lived here for 26 years and may not even speak English. What part of that aren't you getting?
He was rather busy during those 26 years, working at a bodega, buying lottery tickets, and drinking two beers at the end of a long workday.

It all finally paid off.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:15 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,046,764 times
Stop, you're going to make his head explode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensa130 View Post
He was rather busy during those 26 years, working at a bodega, buying lottery tickets, and drinking two beers at the end of a long workday.

It all finally paid off.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
That is the problem in our PC country nowadays. Unlike the early immigrants, immigrants today are encouraged to not assimilate into our society linguistically. They are encouraged to hang on to their native language out in mainstream. Mind you I don't care what language they speak at home. Immigrants are colonizing in their own neighborhoods rather than assimilating. It is like we have several little countries within our country. I am reminded of this wise statement by Theodore Roosevelt.

Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN
"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
FDR wasn't a "New Democrat".

Old 03-27-2013, 11:18 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,484,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Hey, sounds an awful lot like that guy who ran for president last year.
Minus the entitlement mentality...

Old 03-27-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Many people still think in their native language.
Many people scarcely think much at all.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I guess you haven't read the census then? What racial group makes up the majority in this country? I'll wait for you to tell me again that it is only in my mind after you have read it. Yes, he is guilty of rudeness and laziness, no wow about it.
What does race have to do with anything?

Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
I do think that there is a point:

In order to have a functioning country, you MUST have a common means of communication. If you cannot communicate with each other, you cannot properly exchange ideas, you stifle business transactions, you cannot interact with some of your employees or with your employer, you'll have a tough time buying a movie ticket or ordering food, you put your life in danger (What if your prescription says to take a pill once a day but you, who only speaks Spanish, take it eleven times a day?), and so forth.
Both the English and Spanish languages use the Arabic number system.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Why did you divert from my question? I asked you what race is the majority in this country. We are all aware that non-hispanic whites are but you said it was all in my mind.
What does being a non-Hispanic white person have to do with language?

Old 03-27-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Stimmt! Das ist alles überhaupt kein Problem. Diese einzelne Person ist sicherlich nicht so einflussreich, dass dadurch das gesamte Land zu Grunde geht. Dennoch denke ich, daß es potentiell riesige Probleme mit sich bringt, wenn eine Mehrheit der Bevölkerung eine Vielzahl an Sprachen spricht und dadurch keine gemeinsame Sprache mehr dominant ist.

Ich argumentiere allerdings nicht für eine offizielle Sprache, sondern möchte eher darstellen, welche Problematik durch solch eine liberale Einstellung entstehen kann.

What do you think?

I apologize to any native German speakers on this forum - my German isn't quite as good as it used to be and I know that it is far from perfect. Alas, obviously, there are absolutely no issues with me using a different language, right?
Heil...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies