Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 11:40 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
lol

Love your vivid imagination!

Granted, I won't buy hamburger meat at Wal-Mart, or really much of any meat, but the produce is garden fresh. Turnover of product ensures it will be fresh. And Libbey's Green Beans? Well, I've never gotten a dirty can of beans (or anything else).

If all the employees at your local WM look depressed, well.......sour customers will do that!
Do people realize that walmart has the same suppliers of food that any of your other stores have? Meat included. If your walmart has a butchers shop they are grinding and wrapping it every morning and putting it out on the shelf fresh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 11:43 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Do people realize that walmart has the same suppliers of food that any of your other stores have? Meat included. If your walmart has a butchers shop they are grinding and wrapping it every morning and putting it out on the shelf fresh.
The meat supplier is the same but the quality isn't identical. Frozen shellfish is the same, but the pricing isn't.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:46 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
How?

ETA: Who in their right mind would spend $1500 on an American washer instead of a $300 Chinese washer? This is partly what people mean when they say America cannot compete. Nobody is willing to pay American prices for American goods.
I agree with your sentiment but the price difference isn't nearly as big as you assume simply because labor costs are pretty much the smallest cost component in a large manufactured item like a washing machine. Most of the cost is raw materials, with transportation & advertising taking up the next largest share and labor inputs are actually the lowest. So, yeah, labor costs would go up but also transport costs would go down, they'd no longer have to worry about currency exchange rates changing, and they could deliver the goods to the customers faster and on shorter notice.

We're probably talking about $300 vs $350 and, yes, many industries (especially the larger and more expensive the item they're selling) opt to localize production because it makes economic sense.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:49 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,176,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Target, gag me! Their CEO contributed to Michelle Bachmann's campaign and an anti-gay marriage candidate for MN gov.
Target's tea bag-loving CEO lands company in hot water - Minneapolis - News - The Blotter

Then there was this at Thanksgiving:
Target's decision to open Thanksgiving evening sparks renewed "save Thanksgiving" petitions - Minneapolis - News - The Blotter

You mean the CEO as an individual made a political contribution?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:12 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Walmart is still my store of choice for automotive oil and similar products. By far the cheapest price for leading brands of oil in 5 qt. bottles. Cheaper than Sams Club, Costco, or any auto parts store. Here in Austin the Walmart stores are bright, clean, and lines are usually not long at checkout. I also like that every Walmart will take old oil for recycling.
It costs me a whopping 2 dollars more to have WM do my oil change than to do it myself.That's 3.5 gallons of oil. Plus, if I count gas to get the oil to the recyclers it would have cost more. On top of that they cleaned the inside of my truck too and armor- alled it.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:40 PM

9,141 posts, read 5,807,618 times
Both Wal Marts in my vicinity are clean, well lit
and well stocked, with the exception of ammunition.
I buy food and brand name products there (for less).

Old 03-27-2013, 12:43 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I agree with your sentiment but the price difference isn't nearly as big as you assume simply because labor costs are pretty much the smallest cost component in a large manufactured item like a washing machine. Most of the cost is raw materials, with transportation & advertising taking up the next largest share and labor inputs are actually the lowest. So, yeah, labor costs would go up but also transport costs would go down, they'd no longer have to worry about currency exchange rates changing, and they could deliver the goods to the customers faster and on shorter notice.

We're probably talking about $300 vs $350 and, yes, many industries (especially the larger and more expensive the item they're selling) opt to localize production because it makes economic sense.
The price difference I quoted is the actual price of buying American vs Chinese made washing machine. Most of the cost is going to be in the regulations though. I personally try to buy American and I buy New Balance shoes bc they are made in America and sell for the same price (or cheaper) as Chinese made shoes. Unfortunately, their shoes are made in China now too. At least they are starting to anyway.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:43 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,953,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I buy food and brand name products there (for less).
That can't be! They only sell Chinese-made crap!

Old 03-27-2013, 12:53 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The bottom line for corporations is all that is is about.
I have a newsflash for ya - ALL businesses exist to make money, not just corporations.

You, sir, have been successfully brainwashed.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:56 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I do not shop there because the shelves are always disorganized or bare, and there is no one to help me if I have a question. The carts are all banged up and no emphasis is placed on caring for the customer. There are never enough cashiers. Things are no cheaper than at many other stores nearby.
There is something else that bothers me about Walmart. They have a brand of clothing called "Faded Glory" with a flag logo. This seems like a slam against America to me, especially in light of how many of their products are made in China.
I heard they are starting a new effort to hire former military, so perhaps this is a recognition on Walmarts part that shoppers with any self esteem do not respond well to poor customer service. If they get employees who are used to organization and performance standards, the stores would benefit, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies