Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 AM

8,646 posts, read 9,163,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
My Walmart has 8 self checkout registers. I guess liberals can't figure out how to swipe the things on their own. Oh well.
What is a liberal, an alien, a family member, a fellow American? Where do you draw the line? Where is it when everyone around you is this or that but then suddenly there's "that liberal"? So you label a fellow American "that liberal" as though you have a beeline into that person's heart, or lived in that person's shoes. I bet if you sat down with "that ---those ----them liberals" you'd have more in common than not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,842,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Wal Mart will do just fine. The company pays above market rate, above what its competitors pay, here in the Chicago area for comparable jobs. If the company has expanded too quickly or has to offer higher wages in some parts of the country where hiring is lagging, it will adjust. The free market works these things out. I'm not a Wal Mart shopper, but I think the company does a good job.
I am another who believes Walmart will be OK. Having said this, both Walmart and Target over expanded in the NW suburban area and something will give, sooner or later.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:28 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,160,330 times
I only read through the first few pages, but something that the anti-Wal*Mart people constantly do is just crazy annoying, so I'm going to set them straight.

WAL*MART AND COSTCO ARE NOT COMPETITORS!

Comparing one to the other just makes you look STUPID.

Most obviously, Wal*Mart is a discount retail chain, while Costco is a membership store. If you can't grasp that glaring and simple fundamental difference, then Lord help you, because you probably also can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Second, you're comparing the largest retailer in the world, with 8,500 stores, to a company with 622 stores. Costco has less than 8% the number of stores that Wal*Mart has. There is no comparison! It's laughable that you'd even try!

I know that you guys (and gals) just LOVE to say, "Costco pays their employees more, so that means Wal*Mart sucks!", but you really are comparing apples with oranges. They're two completely different retail models. It's like comparing the wages for a landscaper working in a low income area with the head greenskeeper at a country club. It just doesn't make sense. Stop being stupid, k?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:30 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,283,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am another who believes Walmart will be OK. Having said this, both Walmart and Target over expanded in the NW suburban area and something will give, sooner or later.
That's how it is where my parents live too. There are 10-12 WMT/Sam's club's within a 15 minute drive, sometimes they are right next to each other. I think there are 5-6 Target's in that same general area.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:31 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,413,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Just the way the market is supposed to work and if Wal-Mart wants to correct the problem they will have to attract and retain talent. To do that will require higher wages. You see how that works liberals and no govt mandate is needed.
+1. Well said...

Old 03-27-2013, 08:33 AM

21,495 posts, read 10,617,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I only read through the first few pages, but something that the anti-Wal*Mart people constantly do is just crazy annoying, so I'm going to set them straight.

Most obviously, Wal*Mart is a discount retail chain, while Costco is a membership store. If you can't grasp that glaring and simple fundamental difference, then Lord help you, because you probably also can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Second, you're comparing the largest retailer in the world, with 8,500 stores, to a company with 622 stores. Costco has less than 8% the number of stores that Wal*Mart has. There is no comparison! It's laughable that you'd even try!

I know that you guys (and gals) just LOVE to say, "Costco pays their employees more, so that means Wal*Mart sucks!", but you really are comparing apples with oranges. They're two completely different retail models. It's like comparing the wages for a landscaper working in a low income area with the head greenskeeper at a country club. It just doesn't make sense. Stop being stupid, k?
Someone with sense on here!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:33 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,283,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

You're right people shouldn't compare WMT to Costco. Sam's Club and Costco can be compared though.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:35 AM

20,495 posts, read 12,421,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not just Walmart. I had to scour HD and Lowe's for fence staples and cleaned them out of all they had but they didn't have much. Even went back the next week and the shelves were still empty.

Go google "empty shelves" and you'll see it's starting to become quite common.
JIT has also been modified somewhat to go one more day and it's turning into NOT Just In Time.
That's happening in supermarkets. "The truck didn't come today" is the response I get and I have had to go to a different HEB to get what I couldn't' get for 2 weeks at the HEB I normally shop in.
Went to Kroger yesterday evening about 830. there were 2 packs of chicken thighs and 2 packs of wings in the meat case. that was it. couldnt believe my eyes.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:38 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,842,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

Only because they were bailed out by the taxpayers, which was the point that went over your head.
Government lent them money which has been repaid. No different than the TARP beneficiaries.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 AM

29,626 posts, read 16,614,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's far more accurate that what you state is happening in your town.
How is it more accurate ? The site itself clearly states that its number come from those who simply choose to report their hourly pay/salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies