Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:59 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Costco and Target doesnt look like Costco and Wal Mart to me.

So, in a thread about Wal*Mart, when people make comparisons with Target and Costco, who do you think they're those companies comparing to?

Quote:
and the link (that you left out of the quote) clearly says
I didn't indicate anything about what someone linked to. My references and comments were about THE PEOPLE POSTING IN THIS THREAD.

(Quick, spit out your gum).

And you referenced a single post to try and prove that I'm wrong, when I quoted several - and those were just from the first five pages.

Give it up. You know damn well that people were directly comparing Wal*Mart and Costco. Don't be so childish as to stick your fingers in your ears and pretend that they weren't.

WTF has this forum come to???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Costco and Target doesnt look like Costco and Wal Mart to me.

and the link (that you left out of the quote) clearly says

The High Cost of Low Wages - Harvard Business Review

they may have been saying "Wal Mart" in the post, but the data they were debating from was from that link which is talking about WalMart's SAM's club.

im going to go ahead and quote the whole post so that you dont have to look for it or claim that i cant back up what i say

There is also the fact that you obviously dont know what the phrase industry wide means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Costco is more tolerable than Walmart, but I barely get anything there. Books are expensive, I don't need 100 croissants, 20 lettuces, 20 lbs of cheese, and 5000 plastic cups. I do go with my sister once in a blue moon Saturday mornings (she shops there), mostly to talk with my sister and sample the foods. Never been to Sam's Club. Walmart has already left me with a negative attitude about anything related to Walmart.
Hey Sarita - You should tell the person that posted directly above you, and to whom you replied, that people DO in fact compare Wal*Mart with Costco, because he/she thinks that they don't.

I never, ever, in a million years thought I'd be saying this to you, but thank you for posting.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Walmart did a very smart thing - it destroys small businesses until there's nowhere else to go to but that stinking, dark, depressing, giant piece of crap, Walmart.
That doesn't make any sense. Wal*Mart is traditionally positioned as an anchor store in a larger shopping center. At the center with a Wal*Mart nearest to my house, there's not a single empty space. That's saying quite a lot for this town, which is riddled with available commercial and retail space.

I counter with this -
http://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/f.../2/v31n1-1.pdf

Old 03-27-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Costco and Sam's Club (Walmart's club store) are most certainly competitors. Which is where all the comparisons are being drawn.
Wrong. See two posts up.

Besides, they're separate corporations. In a comparison between Sam's Club and Costco, the name "Wal*Mart" shouldn't enter into the discussion. Also, the thread is about Wal*Mart losing sales - not Sam's Club.

You can try to spin/lie however you want, but the bottom line is that people make the same apples to oranges comparison between Wal*Mart and Costco in every single one of the anti-Wal*Mart threads. This isn't new. I'm just sick of people demonstrating their stupidity so proudly.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:31 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
It's just a company with really bad management. Things are further complicated that the management keeps wanting to make artificial sales quotas provided by Wall St even if doing so harms the long term interests of the company. For example, not hiring enough staff to do basic things like stalk store shelves. It is the classic American business ethic of stressing short term performance at the expense of long term performance.
That is not the "classic American Business ethic". Remember, Walmart became a success using Classic American Business ethics (Remember Sam Walmart and all his principals for a healthy and functional store?). After he died, his store was turned into what you describe.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Eh. I tend to only stay on here during work hours. In my line of work, I need good laughs every few hours.
Wish I had a job where I could play on the computer at work!

Old 03-27-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Why on earth would I want to go through the drudgery of "price-matching" at a place that is ugly, depressing, with depressed employees, where the food does not look clean, where the food does not look fresh, where the meat is so scary-looking it makes my hair stand on end, and on top of it, where the business practices suck so much it's enough to make one cringe? Hmmmmmm? Now why would I put myself through that sh_t unless I were a f masochist?
I bet some of the employees have red hair too, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Target is hardly better than Wal-Mart. I shop at Target much more frequently than Wal-Mart, but that has as much to do with the Target's much more convenient location than anything else. My local Target has as much trouble keeping their shelves stocked as the Wal-Mart does, plus Target keeps jacking up prices on everything. Not that their prices were all that low to begin with!

Indeed. Wal-Mart has gotten bad for this, but Target and Sam's (yes, I know it's Wal-Mart) aren't much better.
Agreed, esp. with the bold. It's the same out my way.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychase63@yahoo.com View Post
One thing that's certain is that money spent at a Mom and Pop business tends to stay in the community, while money spent at Wally World goes right back to Bentonville. I'd rather use my money to help keep local businesses afloat.
Not necessarily. The local Mom and Pops buy their merchandise from China, too. I'll shop where I can get the best deal.

Quote:
Costco and Sam's Club (Walmart's club store) are most certainly competitors. Which is where all the comparisons are being drawn.
The article in the OP did not refer to Sam's Club!

Old 03-27-2013, 02:45 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,476,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
US-Tech Online. -> How G.E. Started Onshoring Production

"The focus is not simply on labor cost. In fact, the most significant metric is speed to market. According to Campbell, the cycle time for introducing a new refrigerator or water heater to the market is significantly reduced when design and manufacturing are both done in the United States."

"In addition to measuring quality, the company quantified all of the costs of outsourcing, making sure that they were comprehensive and thorough in their approach. Many of its metrics coincide with those that writer Brendan Koerner identifies in his brilliant, recent article in Wired, which examines why companies have started to "buck the offshoring trend." The people on Campbell's team projected wage increases in China and also the likely appreciation of the Chinese currency in upcoming years. They looked at rising shipping costs and accounted for the inevitable transportation costs associated with fixing a product with defects. They considered the savings on raw materials that would result from an integrated environment of design and sourcing."

Nope, manufacturing jobs are NEVER going to return. Just ignore the fact that they have started to do so, and this is only one (albeit prominent,) example.
The Cubs are never going to win the world series again. EVER.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:12 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,736,448 times
I want nothing from Walmart. The last thing I bought at Walmart was a watch battery, and that's because the little jewelry shop I get my batteries at was closed and I needed my watch for the next day.

Depressed employees (because they are treated like crap), will not function properly at work, CANNOT function properly at work, and will not do as good a job as employees that are treated well. I can walk around any Walmart and find all the things wrong with the food section.

Publix's stock is owned by its employees, and its employees are always joyful, and take tremendous pride in their work. Around food I'm going to digest, produce, meat, whatever, I want employees that are happy and satisfied.

As for clothing, I buy most of my clothing at either a second-hand shop (to avoid giving a profit to companies manufacturing in China), or at Macy's when they have their last sales - 75-80% off. If I were to lose my mind and get clothes at Walmart, I'd be financing the a-hs that outsource, I'd end up with some butt-ugly clothing, and I'd be unhappy.

I love to be able to put together awesome outfits for casual and work environments without giving much money to companies that engage in outsourcing. Buying second hand is great, because companies that outsource are not pouring money into the pockets of Americans, so why should I give one penny if I can avoid it?

As for furniture - beds, for example, I have little choice in. Gotta buy those new. As for almost everything else, I use craigslist, go to moving sales, etc. and see if I can find it there. I hate to have to do that. If things were manufactured here, I'd spend my money freely, but the a-hole corporations prefer to manufacture abroad so they can pocket their money. Well, by golly, I think I'll keep MY money from their hands then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies