Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:43 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Kansas, one of the few places on the planet that thinks being recognized as the home of religious extremism, misogyny and ignorance is a feature instead of a bug.

1. Theocratic, crony capitalist state government owned by Koch Industries - check
2. Creationism in the public schools - check
3. A systematic stripping of civil rights from women and homosexuals - check
4. Laws and fundamentalist religious beliefs that would feel at home to a Saudi mullah or the Taliban - check
5. A population of "Real Americans" and rubes that gleefully celebrate their state's authoritarian excesses as examples of enhanced freedom and smaller government - priceless

So long as they keep it in their state...cool....rock on. Does that mean that I agree with it, or condone it? No. I'd rather them not. BUT...at least if it's on the state level or local level, in which I'd rather see, it makes it easier for the constituents to hold their politicians more accountable for their actions. Of course, that obviously takes a bit of work, like getting off of your a** on election day and voting (not you as in "you" per-se). Finally, I don't live in Kansas, and would not choose to live there (other than maybe in the Spring to chase tornadoes, as I am a bit of a weather freak), and the beauty of this country is that you are free to live where ever, and don't have to live there either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 11:44 AM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
... says the purveyor of groundless accusations of racism.
I apologize for hitting a nerve.

I guess that the OP's commentary about "lily white" folks in the first post were acceptable to you.

We will have to agree to disagree, but I find any racial pidgeonholing to be in poor taste.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:47 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
So long as they keep it in their state...cool....rock on. Does that mean that I agree with it, or condone it? No. I'd rather them not. BUT...at least if it's on the state level or local level, in which I'd rather see, it makes it easier for the constituents to hold their politicians more accountable for their actions. Of course, that obviously takes a bit of work, like getting off of your a** on election day and voting (not you as in "you" per-se). Finally, I don't live in Kansas, and would not choose to live there (other than maybe in the Spring to chase tornadoes, as I am a bit of a weather freak), and the beauty of this country is that you are free to live where ever, and don't have to live there either.
Your Brownies are coming to KC this year. While it's about a half hour drive from the border to the stadium if they hit the bars the night before they should thank the Kansas legislature for looking out for em.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:48 AM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That may well be true, but we also know that authorities have abused their power in the past, and that opening the door without any oversight invites abuse of power in the future. THAT's what has people concerned.
Oh, I absolutely agree. That's why these laws are nearly impossible to withstand constitutionality challenges.

They have to be air-tight as to when and how they would be applied. You cannot have any sort of loosey-goosey selection of whom to use it on and so forth.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:52 AM

LIberals aren't at all worried about our FBI director saying the government has the right to kill US citizens without trial but get upset when a firefighter who is bled on wants to find out if the bleeder is HIV positive. Makes no sense.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:54 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's very unlikely that any law that allows a persons blood to be taken without their consent will survive the courts and it shouldn't but this is indeed a thorny issue.
Then you might want to read....

The United States does not derive any of its substantive powers from the Preamble of the Constitution. It cannot exert any power to secure the declared objects of the Constitution unless, apart from the Preamble, such power be found in, or can properly be implied from, some express delegation in the instrument.

While the spirit of the Constitution is to be respected not less than its letter, the spirit is to be collected chiefly from its words.

The police power of a State embraces such reasonable regulations relating to matters completely within its territory, and not affecting the people of other States, established directly by legislative enactment, as will protect the public health and safety.

While a local regulation, even if based on the acknowledged police power of a State, must always yield in case of conflict with the exercise by the General Government of any power it possesses under the Constitution, the mode or manner of exercising its police power is wholly within the discretion of the State so long as the Constitution of the United States is not contravened, or any right granted or secured thereby is not infringed, or not exercised in such an arbitrary and oppressive manner as to justify the interference of the courts to prevent wrong and oppression.

The liberty secured by the Constitution of the United States does not import an absolute right in each person to be at all times, and in all circumstances, wholly freed from restraint, nor is it an element in such liberty that one person, or a minority of persons residing in any community and enjoying the benefits of its local government, should have power to dominate the majority when supported in their action by the authority of the State.

It is within the police power of a State to enact a compulsory vaccination law, and it is for the legislature, and not for the courts, to determine in the first instance whether vaccination is or is not the best mode for the prevention of smallpox and the protection of the public health.

See Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905)

[Emphasis mine]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
We are talking about Ks and HIV. Go styart your own thread about TB.
His comments were as applicable as the US Supreme Court case I cited above.

Quote:
I like playing politics.
No doubt, especially when people's lives are at stake. I guess it's a good thing you weren't in Vietnam.....you'd have gotten "fragged."

This is a Political forum. Your personal attack is childish.[/quote]

Quote:
Plenty of room for abuse with this.
Yes, we know.....100s of Millions of Americans have been abused and terrorized by an handful of people claiming their right to engage in abnormal sexual acts, illegal drug use, prostitution and infidelity trumps the health and safety of Millions and Millions of People.

Quote:
What a bunch there is in Kansas.
What an intelligent bunch there is in Kansas.

I fixed your sentence for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Well, they are only 33 years late.
^^^This^^^

Quote:
During the 32-year history of the AIDS epidemic,...
You admit it's an "epidemic."

The proper course of action for any "epidemic" is quarantine.

Quote:
Based on the information in the OP, it could well be used by unscrupulous LEOs as a pretext to conduct witch hunts against people with HIV. And how exactly would that serve the public interest?
Let me see if I got this straight....

1] A minority of the population engages in illegal, unethical or immoral actions such as abnormal sexual acts, prostitution, drug use and vagrancy.

2] The results of their illegal, unethical or immoral acts causes the spread of a deadly and debilitating disease for which there is no real cure, and which costs an extraordinarily enormous amount of money to treat medically, including an extremely large amount of tax-payer funds.

3] The actions of this small minority are compounded due to the fact that prostitutes, drug users and vagrants (who often perform homosexual acts for money) sell their blood for money, resulting in contamination of the blood bank system in the United States.

4] The illegal, unethical or immoral actions of this small minority are compounded further by the illegal, unethical and immoral actions of the American Red Cross, who refuse to test blood that may be contaminated, "because it costs too much."

5] The end result of this series of illegal, unethical and immoral acts has caused innocent persons to be subjected to a deadly disease for which there is no cure and which is extraordinarily costly to treat, against their will.

6] Congress then enacts laws to protect the American Red Cross --- an quasi-federal non-profit corporation tasked with maintaining and operating America's blood bank system --- from liability and culpability, allowing the Red Cross to dump its HIV-tainted blood on 2nd World States in Eastern Europe and 3rd World States in Africa and Southeast Asia, resulting in Millions and Millions of people being infected against their will.

7] Then during the last 32 years, the American tax-payer has been soaked and stuck throwing away money on needle exchange programs, condom give-away programs, "HIV/AIDs Education" and numerous other HIV/AIDs indoctrination programs, plus government bureaucracies to enforce "anti-discrimination laws."

8] $Billions more in public and private medical research money has been siphoned away from research on cancer, birth defects, mental illness and other medical issues because a vocal minority who voluntarily exposed themselves to HIV/AIDs through their owns illegal, unethical or immoral acts has parades and marches and pompously strut about wearing HIV/AIDs like it was some kind of Combat Infantry Badge.

9] This same vocal minority has held America hostage terrorizing Americans (and the World) for 33 years now.

10] Finally, we have the highly disingenuous argument that HIV/AIDs is an "epidemic" but only when it suits a particular agenda, and in particular it suits them when they are demanding money, but when it is suggested that the proper and just course of action that benefits that vast majority of Americans is to apply quarantine regimens to stop the "epidemic" it isn't an "epidemic" or people are buried under the mantra of "protecting individual rights."

Did I miss anything? I think not.

If quarantine procedures had been enacted decades ago, $Billions in tax-payer dollars would have been saved, and Millions of lives would not have been destroyed by a small minority who insist it is their right to engage in illegal, unethical or immoral acts at the expense of others.

Sagaciously...

Mircea

Old 03-27-2013, 11:55 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I guess that the OP's commentary about "lily white" folks in the first post were acceptable to you.
What makes you think that?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:05 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,963,905 times
Just two questions.

1. If Magic Johnson visits Kansas, does he get locked up in quarantine for the rest of his life?

2. In the most heavily incarcerated society in the history of the planet, are we ready to create a whole new type of prison where diseased people will be incarcerated for life, prevented from working or mixing with the general population, paid for by the idiot taxpayers who voted for it? If so, the prison industrial complex must be dancing for joy.

I would say this is the most monumentally stupid idea ever, except that stupidity, like greed, has no limit.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:22 PM

Exactly what is so stupid about this idea? Aids is an epidemic in case you haven't heard.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:30 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,963,905 times
If you can answer my two questions I'll be glad to answer yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Exactly what is so stupid about this idea? Aids is an epidemic in case you haven't heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies