Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 02:46 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,879,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Why do you worry so much about something that doesn't have any effect on your life, and harms no one?

These threads are getting tiresome. The country is moving towards "liberty and justice for ALL". Sorry that you don't like it.
Then ignore them if they are tiresome.
Me personally, I think he has a point and the breakdown of the nuclear family is one of the primary reasons our country is adrift and in debt with no sense of its identity or culture.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:14 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,960,872 times
What's the point of this thread, that it's somehow hypocritical to change positions from those of the 1960s? Hark, once it was common belief that women shouldn't have the right o vote. Once you form an opinion you must keep it for the rest of your life, even in the face of a changing world?

Old 03-29-2013, 05:22 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,574,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Then ignore them if they are tiresome.
Me personally, I think he has a point and the breakdown of the nuclear family is one of the primary reasons our country is adrift and in debt with no sense of its identity or culture.
Then campaign against divorce. It is a far greater threat to the nuclear family than gay marriage.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:27 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,437,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Supposedly pedophiles cannot control themselves just like the gays. At least that's what we're told.
Believe everything you're told do ya?

Old 03-29-2013, 05:30 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,437,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny jew View Post
it does have an effect on relgious people.

People have lost their livelihood because of gay terrorists. gays terrorists want to destroy freedom of religion and force religion out of this country. That is the only goal of gay "marriage" the rest is hogwash for the gullible masses.

Gay terrorists are the biggest threat to this country.

how?

Old 03-29-2013, 05:33 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,247,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Okay, so some Democrats opposed homosexual marriage in the past. And? Last I checked, people are perfectly capable of changing their viewpoints.
Exactly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/16/us...iage.html?_r=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
my religion says I can't help a gay "wedding" and neither can other jews (This is infinitely more important then your life). Now comes along a gay terrorist and says close shop or leave the country. and I'm not supposed to compare him to a NAZI?
Oh boy....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LGBT_Jews

Last edited by NoJiveMan; 03-29-2013 at 05:46 AM..

Old 03-29-2013, 05:57 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,264,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Flashback: Remember when Democrats swore they opposed same-sex marriage? « Hot Air

Video at link.

And get this quote from non other than Hillary Clinton:

" I take umbrage at anyone who might suggest that those of us who worry about amending the Constitution are less committed to the sanctity of marriage, or the fundamental bedrock principle that it exists between a man and a woman going back into the mists of history, as one of the founding foundational institutions of history and humanity and civilization, and that its primary, principle role during those millennia has been the raising and socializing of children for the society in which they are to become adults.”

So much from principles. Those that can change fundamental beliefs so easily for political reasons are frauds and the worst kind of people to have in DC. You either have principles and beliefs that you stand by and don't change for political benefit or you don't.
Sometimes, open minded people are able to change their minds, and evolve once they hear ALL arguments presented.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:18 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,431,930 times
Quote:
The point is what happened to actually having principle and believing in something? This isnt about hate or bigotry. This isnt even about fairness. If the crowd that wants marriage definition to change only want "equality" and "fairness", something like civil unions without bastardizing a term that has had one meaning forever, wouldve given fairness and equality.

But this wasnt about fairness, never about equality. And Democrats and others who just say ah well I changed my mind, are nothing but frauds or people who are the last type of people who should be in Washington. This isnt slavery, this isnt the civil rights era. This is gay couples who want to redefine something to make themselves feel better and to make themselves feel like they are the same as a man and a woman together.

I am a sensible person. Many of us so called "bigots" are sensible. We would have gladly been okay with civil unions, granting gay couples the same "rights" and "benefits" married get. But of course, without destroying marriage as its always been known, some of you werent ever going to be happy.

This is like me saying I want the definition of minority to change so I can get the same benefits minorities get. Just include me too even if Im actually a part of the majority. That would be absurd. And so is forcing everyone else to view a gay union as the same as a married man and woman.
I wonder what they'll do if the polls shift back to the other direction?

Old 03-29-2013, 06:25 AM

37,195 posts, read 19,238,037 times
Quote:
Flashback: Remember when Democrats swore they opposed same-sex marriage? « Hot Air

Video at link.

And get this quote from non other than Hillary Clinton:

" I take umbrage at anyone who might suggest that those of us who worry about amending the Constitution are less committed to the sanctity of marriage, or the fundamental bedrock principle that it exists between a man and a woman going back into the mists of history, as one of the founding foundational institutions of history and humanity and civilization, and that its primary, principle role during those millennia has been the raising and socializing of children for the society in which they are to become adults.”

So much from principles. Those that can change fundamental beliefs so easily for political reasons are frauds and the worst kind of people to have in DC. You either have principles and beliefs that you stand by and don't change for political benefit or you don't.
Intelligent people are able to change their viewpoints when new data becomes available. That is why the GOP is rapidly becoming a party of dinosaurs.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:21 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,960,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Intelligent people are able to change their viewpoints when new data becomes available. That is why the GOP is rapidly becoming a party of dinosaurs.
The best post in this thread so far.

A majority, in 1967, believed that blacks and whites should not marry. That year, the Supreme Court ruled that laws denying marriage to mixed race couples was unconstitutional.

Now, mixed race marriages aren't even on the nation's radar.

The problem with conservatives is that they are, by their nature, proponents of the status quo. That's why they were on the wrong side in woman's suffrage; civil rights; segregation; voting rights; the environment and Medicare and Social Security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies