Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:42 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,042,679 times

Advertisements

Common Core Facts: Common Core: A Mental Health Professional & Parent's Perspective

Common Core Facts: Glenn Beck on Common Core 3-27-2013

Very disturbing. I'm telling you, journalism is dead, and they've failed to report on this.

Common core is being pushed across the country in the public school system.

Data mining of our children and privacy are major concerns. The more we learn about this, the scarier it is. And its not a Democrat or Republican thing, its Progressive. You do not want your children involved in this. And good luck getting answers from your school. One lady said the school told her she had no right to know what the school curriculum is. This is bad news.

If you are going to research this, please do more than go to Common Core's web site. You obviously will not get the whole truth from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 09:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
It's too late. States that got waivers from NCLB requirements have to move to RTT with Common Core.
It was a strong arm movement. NCLB requires 100% pass next year and no state in the nation is anywhere near that 100%.

And none of them want to lose their Fed money. Even Texas, as anti DC as they are, put in for a waiver.

Sadly there's no much to be done about this. The US went from #18 in Math (2000) to #31 in Math (2009) world wide. NCLB and new curriculum standards came into effect in 2000.

Once RTT is in place for a few years people we'll see that we're going from bad to worse.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:37 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,781,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Common Core Facts: Common Core: A Mental Health Professional & Parent's Perspective

Common Core Facts: Glenn Beck on Common Core 3-27-2013

Very disturbing. I'm telling you, journalism is dead, and they've failed to report on this.

Common core is being pushed across the country in the public school system.

Data mining of our children and privacy are major concerns. The more we learn about this, the scarier it is. And its not a Democrat or Republican thing, its Progressive. You do not want your children involved in this. And good luck getting answers from your school. One lady said the school told her she had no right to know what the school curriculum is. This is bad news.

If you are going to research this, please do more than go to Common Core's web site. You obviously will not get the whole truth from them.
That's not the case at our school. We have two parent's night per year and a portion of those nights are explaining the new common core curriculum standards.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:41 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,042,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
That's not the case at our school. We have two parent's night per year and a portion of those nights are explaining the new common core curriculum standards.
Well it would be in your best interest to do your own research rather that just go off the people enacting this and what they say

Old 03-29-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Well it would be in your best interest to do your own research rather that just go off the people enacting this and what they say
I have because our school is switching over to the new standards. It's basically a new way to have students critically think instead of just memorizing information.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Do not rely on the schools telling you that they know what's best.
They have no choice but to go along with RTT.

Do your own independent research into this.
If need be then augment education yourself at home.
This is your child's future.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Do not rely on the schools telling you that they know what's best.
They have no choice but to go along with RTT.

Do your own independent research into this.
If need be then augment education yourself at home.
This is your child's future.
I teach there, so I have first hand knowledge with common core. I have a toddler that I already teach because I think learning starts at home first.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I have because our school is switching over to the new standards. It's basically a new way to have students critically think instead of just memorizing information.
They have been doing critical thinking for 10 years now since the new standards from NCTM came out in 2000. Rote is rarely used in school anymore.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I teach there, so I have first hand knowledge with common core. I have a toddler that I already teach because I think learning starts at home first.
And you agree with them ?

Old 03-29-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And you agree with them ?
In a way. I don't see the new standards as much of a change. It's pretty much just focusing more on going in depth with material. Our old standards were a mile wide and inch deep, now it's less wide and more deep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies