Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:58 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times

Advertisements

As I wrote this isn't liberal politics. It is a situation that has been in effect for eons. Its neither liberal nor conservative. It just is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 10:00 PM

545 posts, read 400,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
As I wrote this isn't liberal politics. It is a situation that has been in effect for eons. Its neither liberal nor conservative. It just is.
It sure the hell wasn't right-wingers pushing Obamacare. And doesn't the article states :

"Confused professors shocked schools are cutting their hours to avoid Obamacare penalties"

I am sure Obamacare hasn't been in place for "eons"

Old 03-29-2013, 10:02 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
it sure the hell wasn't right-wingers pushing Obamacare. And doesn't the article states :

"Confused professors shocked schools are cutting their hours to avoid Obamacare penalties"
Propaganda from a neoconservative think tank. Try reading the Wall Street Journal article instead. You might actually learn something.

Quote:
I am sure Obamacare hasn't been in place for "eons"
Most adjuncts haven't had health insurance for eons. Hardly any, in fact. That's what you don't get, even though it's been explained to you over and over again.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:20 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Yup. And right wingers like me are going to be expected to work mega overtime so companies don't have to hire more workers, and cover obozocare expenses.

You libs really know to make bad situations even worse. Were things perfect before? Heck no. Is this lunatic of a president capable of making things any better? Well, apparently he has done the opposite. We all tried to warn you, but of course, lefties know everything. Hope you enjoy your 20 hour workweeks. I won't enjoy my long workweeks, but I certainly wouldn't trade places.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:24 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
What would you suggest to replace it? The old (pre-Obamacare) way was at the stage of collapse.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Propaganda from a neoconservative think tank. Try reading the Wall Street Journal article instead. You might actually learn something.

Most adjuncts haven't had health insurance for eons. Hardly any, in fact. That's what you don't get, even though it's been explained to you over and over again.
Ok I clicked on the WSJ link in your previous post and but couldn't read the article. They wanted me to subscribe.

And the "propaganda from a neoconservative think tank" was just quoting the WSJ article. Hell, the original WSJ article is headlined "Some Schools Cut Hours of Hard-Pressed Adjuncts to Avoid Rules on Insurance". Was that more "propaganda"? Or is propaganda any facts you don't like?

And this was more then just about insurance:

"Robert Balla, an adjunct professor of English at Stark State College, in North Canton, Ohio received a letter in which he was told that “in order to avoid penalties under the Affordable Care Act…employees with part-time or adjunct status will not be assigned more than an average of 29 hours per week.” He told the Journal that the move cut his $40,000 salary by about $2,000 and that he cannot afford health insurance."

Seeing as how the original topic was about professors getting their work hrs cut due to Obamacare, that still holds up. Diverting the issue to about them never having health insurance was a nice tactic but it isn't gonna fly. The next time you try to lecture someone on "learning something", you might wanna pay closer attention to what's going on before you try to feel all high and mighty. But given the nature of liberals, I won't hold my breath.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Ok I clicked on the WSJ link in your previous post and but couldn't read the article. They wanted me to subscribe.
Just do a google search for the title of the WSJ article: Health Law Pinches Colleges. You'll be able to read it that way.

Quote:
And the "propaganda from a neoconservative think tank" was just quoting the WSJ article. Hell, the original WSJ article is headlined "Some Schools Cut Hours of Hard-Pressed Adjuncts to Avoid Rules on Insurance". Was that more "propaganda"? Or is propaganda any facts you don't like?
Here is AEI headline that you quoted and that I responded to:

Quote:
If you don't see the difference between the WSJ headline and the headline from the AEI, I can't help you.

Quote:
And this was more then about insurance:

"Robert Balla, an adjunct professor of English at Stark State College, in North Canton, Ohio received a letter in which he was told that “in order to avoid penalties under the Affordable Care Act…employees with part-time or adjunct status will not be assigned more than an average of 29 hours per week.” He told the Journal that the move cut his $40,000 salary by about $2,000 and that he cannot afford health insurance."
You are more than welcome to send this man a contribution to help him defray that cost. But it isn't necessary. Adjuncts have absolutely no job security and never have. He will simply pick up another class at another college. It's the reason they are called highway-flyers. They are always traveling from one university to another to cobble enough classes to make a living wage.

Quote:
Seeing as how the original topic was about professors getting their work hrs cut due to Obamacare still holds up. Diverting the issue to about them never having health insurance was a nice tactic but it isn't gonna fly. The next time you try to lecture someone on "learning something", you might wanna pay closer attention to what's going on before you try to feel all high and mighty.
The majority of adjuncts aren't paid by work hours; they are paid per class. The fact that Robert Balla works at a place where there appears to be an exception to this rule doesn't mean that you extrapolate from the exception and apply it to the remaining whole. It's completely illogical.

And let me remind you of what the OP stated in the first post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
What goes around, comes around.

You can just imagine the outraged conversations in the faculty lounge now: “We’re professors. I thought stuff like this only happened to manual laborers at Wendy’s and Taco Bell!”
Adjuncts are the academic equivalent of manual laborers. Why they choose to do that work is beyond me, but they do. The very idea of them sitting around having such a conversation is beyond ludicrous.

Quote:
But given the nature of liberals, I won't hold my breath.
Whine all you want about liberals. The fact is is that you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to academia, and it shows.

Last edited by helenejen; 03-29-2013 at 11:01 PM..

Old 03-29-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Just do a google search for the title of the WSJ article: Health Law Pinches Colleges. You'll be able to read it that way.

Here is what you wrote and what I responded to:

"If you don't see the difference between the WSJ headline and the headline from the AEI, I can't help you."
The AEI headline: "Confused professors shocked schools are cutting their hours to avoid Obamacare penalties

The WSJ headline: "Some Schools Cut Hours of Hard-Pressed Adjuncts to Avoid Rules on Insurance"

Both stated hrs will be cut due to Obamacare. The wording is different and the AEI one has the reactions of professors but the main point is there. You can't help anyone if you couldn't see that.

Quote:
You are more than welcome to send this man a contribution to help him defray that cost. But it isn't necessary. Adjuncts have absolutely no job security and never have. He will simply pick up another class at another college. It's the reason they are called highway-flyers. They are always traveling from one university to another to cobble enough classes to make a living wage.
Yup, like a previous poster said, people like him are just expandable or insignificant and don't really matter to your agenda. If people like him had it that easy then why is he complaining?. You should contact Robert and tell him to stop whining and to just simply go pick up some classes instead of making comments to the WSJ and sorry his life couldn't fit into the liberal, collective state.

Quote:
The majority of adjuncts aren't paid by work hours; they are paid per class. The fact that Robert Balla works at a place where there appears to be an exception to this rule doesn't mean that you extrapolate from the exception and apply it to the remaining whole. It's completely illogical.
Yeah, screw Robert. He and people like him are sacrificial fodder for the liberal agenda. The fact that people like him will suffer now means little to you people on your rode to your utopia.

Quote:
Whine all you want about liberals. The fact is is that you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to academia, and it shows.
Ok, so these adjuncts that are the exceptions to the rule, that they can stay where they are at and make a living. Well guess what? These exceptions are gone now. People like Robert may never come along again, adjuncts might have had the opportunity to work more then 29 hrs, but that is history now, don't you get it? The choice and possibility was there, but no longer. But I guess the ends justify the means doesn't it?

You can keep saying this is a non issue. Tell that to Robert and those like him. And here, I thought the left was all about the "99 percent". Anything for the ideology.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Good Lord! The anti-education bias of some RWs is something to behold!

Old 03-29-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
The AEI headline: "Confused professors shocked schools are cutting their hours to avoid Obamacare penalties

The WSJ headline: "Some Schools Cut Hours of Hard-Pressed Adjuncts to Avoid Rules on Insurance"
Adjuncts would never be confused by having a course cut. They have no job security. Why are you not understanding this?

Quote:
Both stated hrs will be cut due to Obamacare. The wording is different and the AEI one has the reactions of professors but the main point is there. You can't help anyone if you couldn't see that.
From the WSJ article: "Mr. Balla, a 41-year-old father of two, had taught seven English composition classes last semester, split between Stark State and two other area schools. This semester, his course load at Stark State is down to one instead of two as a result of the school's new limit on hours, cutting his salary by about a total of $2,000."

Two classes does not come anywhere close to 29-hours. Cutting his course load from two classes to one has nothing to do with him coming anywhere close to 15 hours of work let alone 29, and therefore has ZERO to do with Obamacare.

Quote:
Yup, like a previous poster said, people like him are just expandable or insignificant and don't really matter to your agenda. If people like him had it that easy then why is he complaining?. You should contact Robert and tell him to stop whining and to just simply go pick up some classes instead of making comments to the WSJ.
It isn't liberals calling for the slashing of university budgets. Liberals would have adjuncts treated as real teachers who can making a living teaching at one school. You think that conservatives would ever allow that? No way. The rise of the adjunct goes hand-in-hand with the lack of support for higher education, as the WSJ article makes clear:

"For decades, colleges and universities have cut costs by hiring adjuncts instead of tenured or tenure-track faculty. In 1975, adjuncts made up 43% of the faculty at U.S. colleges. By 2009, that number had climbed to nearly 70%."

Quote:
Yeah, screw Robert. He and people like him are sacrificial fodder for the liberal agenda. The fact that people like him will suffer now means little to you people on your rode to your utopia.
Road to utopia? What the hell are you even talking about?

Quote:
Ok, so these adjuncts that are the exceptions to the rule, that they can stay where they are at and make a living. Well guess what? These exceptions are gone now. People like Robert may never come along again, adjuncts might have had the opportunity to work more then 29 hrs, but that is history now, don't you get it?, the choice and possibility was there, but no longer. But I guess the ends justify the means doesn't it?.
Robert never taught just at one school. He taught two classes at that college and now will be teaching one. He wasn't anywhere close to working 29 hours.

Quote:
You can keep saying this is a non issue. Tell that to Robert and those like him.
Being an adjunct is agreeing to exploitation at the hands of the university system. Robert shouldn't do it. But he is and he'll just pick up another class at another school, like he is use to doing. But the fact that he has to do that has nothing to do with Obamacare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies