Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 04:17 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Keep in mind Dr. Carson is head of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins. These graduating doctors probably all know him and have been taught by him. To initially invite him shows they all have great respect for him as a surgeon (that fact he's retiring might also be a reason for him being asked to speak this year). For them to uninvite him tells me they really, really must be offended by what he's been saying in public.
And it worries me about the mental faculties of the people they are graduating there. I thought you were supposed to have to be smart to get in there but apparently you don't judging by this petititon. I mean if they are unable to correctly parse an English sentence then how are they going to competently practice medicine?

Old 03-31-2013, 04:23 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Boozing this hard this early on a Sunday? Dude, you have a PROBLEM!!!
I'm on my way out and don't drink and drive...why not make a couple of interesting thoughts ....then maybe we can have a look and see if a root canal in required

Old 03-31-2013, 04:26 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
I'm on my way out and don't drink and drive...why not make a couple of interesting thoughts ....then maybe we can have a look and see if a root canal in required
How can people comment on your posts? In general, they're rambling nonsense.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
How can people comment on your posts? In general, they're rambling nonsense.
Is that it...nothing more ? I gotta go out soon.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:07 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
What if they dont agree with Muslim views?

If the commencement speech was going to be about religion, then yes it is inappropriate.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:54 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
If the shoe was on the other foot the people in society who have standards ( basic morals-culture) would tell the students to shut up and not to be so disrespectful to a faculty leader and authoritative figure....lets see how this plays out,

A science teacher is a gay guy who's trying to understand economic and social issues from a position of respectable sincerity and writes a very good book which is very objective and winds up with a suggestion that says something honorable in the idea of gay people.

The students catch wind of the book or public statement in this alternate profession which would also be a means of income.

Who says the students are allowed to militate against the operations of the school if they don't like his economics or what could be an interesting social perspective ?

Only a freaky school and freaky community would tolerate such disorder and interference in the learning facility. I still believe who ever is in charge of the school should be fired and sued for back pay in the absence of reaching what would be promised career objectives. Plus...fail all militating students for being so stupid, who wants a Dr who is dumber then a 12 yr old ? I find this most confusing.
Goodness sakes. Have you ever graduated from college? I find your post most confusing.

Time and time and time again - the commencement speaker is protested and challenged because students do not agree with their views on . . . whatever the controversy du jour.

This has only happened about ten thousand times before.

WHY is it such an issue now? Because it is a conservative speaker? Remember when Notre Dame didn't want Obama due to his pro-choice views? Where was your outrage?

Old 03-31-2013, 06:15 PM

408 posts, read 607,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I fail to see what is controversial about Dr. Carson. I've seen him a few times on television. He was saying that as a kid he read lot of books which opened up a new world to him (he also mentioned why slaves were forbidden from reading and that people that decide not to learn to read are enslaving themselves). Let's see, he is also a neurosurgeon that save babies lives at one of the best universities in the world. He says if peoole get their education and put some effort into their work they can be successful.

I guess because he doesn't say it okay to drop out of school and have 4 kids before your 18, the government will take of you, then he is "controversial". Lols.

Only in Liberal la-la land could this guy be remotely controversial.
Only in the Republican bubble are tea party branded beliefs not considered controversial, especially those based upon religious convictions. Believe it or not, the western world does consider it dangerous mixing theocracy and democracy a danger. You should be appreciative of this fact.

Dr. Carson doesn't come off as an unreasonable person and I don't really view him as the inflammatory type. But his words are simply means to an end; his desire to enforce antiquated views of marriage.

Lest we forget, a majority of Americans do not object to gay marriage, while younger generations are overwhelmingly in favor allowing it. Carson's objective in itself can be perceived as provocative from their standpoint.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 PM

62,951 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
They can tune into Fox News.
Or the 100 leftist doctors can tune into MSNBC, CNN, etc.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:03 PM

62,951 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Apparently, a petition is in order. I guess that's how this whole thing came about, so one would think that's how it could be undone.

This is a commencement speech at a private university. Free speech is a right, but it's not compulsory. Just because a person thinks something, doesn't mean that they are obligated to verbalize it. When a person elects to verbalize some things, they may run afoul of people who don't agree, and those people may not respond favorably toward that person, and may even exercise their own right to free speech in response. That's the extent of any "litmus test", and it more or less applies any time anyone opens their mouth.

The real issue here is that wing nuts are upset because Dr. Carson's Christian conservative viewpoint isn't enjoying privileged status.
Wing nuts? Wow, real civil there.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Goodness sakes. Have you ever graduated from college? I find your post most confusing.

Time and time and time again - the commencement speaker is protested and challenged because students do not agree with their views on . . . whatever the controversy du jour.

This has only happened about ten thousand times before.

WHY is it such an issue now? Because it is a conservative speaker? Remember when Notre Dame didn't want Obama due to his pro-choice views? Where was your outrage?
Hey....his comment was dumb because it was inflammatory, everybody knows that, and it was not in any way connected with responsibilities at the institution.

Last edited by stargazzer; 04-01-2013 at 01:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies