Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 12:27 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,618 times

Advertisements

He gave the Republicans some good ammo here! He let the cat out of the bag about the tax loving DemocRATS ,I'd say!

The Wall Street Journal -- OpionionJournal
October 26, 2007

[SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=5]Truth in Advertising (for a Change)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Charles Rangel has opene
d a new front in the 2008 campaign. It's called class warfare.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Yesterday, the Harlem Democrat presented sweeping plans for a new comprehensive tax bill. He called it the "mother of all reforms." Republicans quickly tagged it "the trillion dollar baby," a tax increase that would sock higher-income families and some businesses with higher rates to "pay for" scaling back the dreaded Alternative Minimum Tax and corporate tax rates. But plenty of extra revenue would be left over for pet Democratic programs.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Republicans immediately declared the move to their advantage. "Very seldom in politics do your opponents give you this kind of gift,'' said House Minority Whip Roy Blunt of Missouri . "Very seldom in politics do your opponents say, `If we could just elect a president and if we can hold onto the House and Senate, here's what we're going to do: We're going to raise taxes.'"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Significantly, almost no Democratic presidential candidate would comment on the plan. Hillary Clinton, who hails from Mr. Rangel's state, would only have her spokesman note that the Ways and Means Chairman and she had long shared interest "in the broad goal of progressive tax reform."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Eric Cantor, a Republican from Virginia , said the silence was meaningful. "Democrats won in 2006 by not saying what they would do," he told me. "Now they are starting to give people a hint of what it would mean to have Democrats run both Congress and the White House. It's the return of class warfare, and that's a battle I welcome."[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 12:30 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,618 times
Default Thank you Charlie Rangel!

Looks like he let the cat out of the bag on the issue of tax loving DemocRATS!

The Wall Street Journal -- OpionionJournal
October 26, 2007
Truth in Advertising (for a Change)
House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Charles Rangel has opened a new front in the 2008 campaign. It's called class warfare.
Yesterday, the Harlem Democrat presented sweeping plans for a new comprehensive tax bill. He called it the "mother of all reforms." Republicans quickly tagged it "the trillion dollar baby," a tax increase that would sock higher-income families and some businesses with higher rates to "pay for" scaling back the dreaded Alternative Minimum Tax and corporate tax rates. But plenty of extra revenue would be left over for pet Democratic programs.
Republicans immediately declared the move to their advantage. "Very seldom in politics do your opponents give you this kind of gift,'' said House Minority Whip Roy Blunt of Missouri . "Very seldom in politics do your opponents say, `If we could just elect a president and if we can hold onto the House and Senate, here's what we're going to do: We're going to raise taxes.'"
Significantly, almost no Democratic presidential candidate would comment on the plan. Hillary Clinton, who hails from Mr. Rangel's state, would only have her spokesman note that the Ways and Means Chairman and she had long shared interest "in the broad goal of progressive tax reform."
Eric Cantor, a Republican from Virginia , said the silence was meaningful. "Democrats won in 2006 by not saying what they would do," he told me. "Now they are starting to give people a hint of what it would mean to have Democrats run both Congress and the White House. It's the return of class warfare, and that's a battle I welcome."

Old 10-27-2007, 12:40 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Charlie is a popular guy amoung his peeps and has never made it a secret what he would do if given the power. He is honest in this regard. I respect him for the veteran he is wounded in battle while fighting in Korea. Let no one defame his character. He has more than earned his right to his opinions.
This said He is a tax and spend kind of liberal and he admits this. No great surprise. I respect him for being very open about his position. He also voted against going to IRAQ....
I would never want him as a prez and worry about him if we get an all democrat control in DC. We all will learn a new meaning of being taxed.
Charlie thank you for your great service to our nation but please please keep the taxes to yourself.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:45 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,520 times
I thought the tax reform was revenue-neutral? Oh well, there's always all kinds of information coming from all different sides. But if you make under like $200,000 a year you'd get a tax break under the plan. It also shifts to taxing some forms of capital gains at the same rate as income, which seems fair. Charles Rangel's voice is cool, he's like some old-ass taxi driver who'd probably have 1,000,000 crazy stories to tell about Vietnam and the Black Panthers or something.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:51 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,545,794 times
Good.

You would figure that rich right wanger folks that profess to love America (or leave it, right?) would not mind paying the taxes that keep it going.

I am glad they are being given the opportunity to serve in some capacity as so many seem to miss the military service experience.

So why do Republicans hate America?

Old 10-27-2007, 12:52 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
What's so bad about increasing the tax rate of rich people so that people of lower income can have tax cuts? Do I need to get it straight that the truth is that rich people also have awful, nightmarish trouble making ends meet and are hurting badly, too, right along with the poor and moderate income people?

Old 10-27-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I thought the tax reform was revenue-neutral? Oh well, there's always all kinds of information coming from all different sides. But if you make under like $200,000 a year you'd get a tax break under the plan. It also shifts to taxing some forms of capital gains at the same rate as income, which seems fair. Charles Rangel's voice is cool, he's like some old-ass taxi driver who'd probably have 1,000,000 crazy stories to tell about Vietnam and the Black Panthers or something.
Fish you nailed it. I am as you know a conserv. But damn Charlie is an easy guy to like. I would buy the man a beer and say lets talk buddy. Whoa forget that I would invite him to my house and we could just talk like two old war horses and hopefully never disguss politics at all.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:56 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
The only issue I have with the article is that Class Warfare is not a new tactic. It's been used by fiscal liberals for a long time to make the achievers in our economy seem evil. As evidenced by many comments on this forum, it's worked.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
What's so bad about increasing the tax rate of rich people so that people of lower income can have tax cuts? Do I need to get it straight that the truth is that rich people also have awful, nightmarish trouble making ends meet and are hurting badly, too, right along with the poor and moderate income people?
Because you have something does not mean you should be forced to forfiet it. Everyone should pay a fair share not the select few. Just as the elite should not be allowed to pay less than a fair share.
If you truely want fair than a flat tax is the only way. Everyone pays an equal %. The guy who makes a million will pay alot more in dollars than the guy who makes 20 grand. It works at state and local levels there is no reason it wouldnt at the federal level. But guess why we will never see it?
Because those in both parties know that will mean no loopholes for them either.
Charlie is just about the only guy that probibly wouldnt even blink about paying his due.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Good.

You would figure that rich right wanger folks that profess to love America (or leave it, right?) would not mind paying the taxes that keep it going.

I am glad they are being given the opportunity to serve in some capacity as so many seem to miss the military service experience.

So why do Republicans hate America?
I am a love it or leave it kind of guy and I do pay taxes. I am however against punishing people for their success and rewarding under achievers.
best policy is a flat tax everyone pays the same percentage.
2 grand to someone making 20 grand hurts as bad as 5 grand to someone making 50 just as 100 grand hurts the guy making 1 million.
Savings would be huge. IRS would shrink to a fraction of its current mass.
But then the need for accountants would also shrink.
hmmm seems like a win win deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies