Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 10:25 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I have more than a few points to address. Either actually go through my post and reply with substance or leave the discussion to the adults. Point in fact, here is a portion of my previous post:

Can you actually address it and refute the specifics on which you disagree?

Can you please link to your surveys as well? (knowing that surveys are statistically the worst way to collect data...)

EDIT: Another point you didn't address. I challenged you to give me any job in any city and let me attempt to try and find the true wage. Let's stop theorizing and actually see if we can do this. Are you up for it, or do you not want to see if I can actually succeed at this?
I'll give you one to find the true wage. and while we are at it define "true wage"
Medical technologist[Laboratory}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I have more than a few points to address. Either actually go through my post and reply with substance or leave the discussion to the adults. Point in fact, here is a portion of my previous post:

Can you actually address it and refute the specifics on which you disagree?

Can you please link to your surveys as well? (knowing that surveys are statistically the worst way to collect data...)

EDIT: Another point you didn't address. I challenged you to give me any job in any city and let me attempt to try and find the true wage. Let's stop theorizing and actually see if we can do this. Are you up for it, or do you not want to see if I can actually succeed at this?
I'll give you one to find the true wage. and while we are at it define "true wage"
Medical technologist[Laboratory} Springfield,missouri

Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's unworkable in the big picture. Once it's known that employee A got a 5k raise, employee B,C and D demand the same thing.

Employee A then demands more because he already felt he was worth more.

It's seems to be an odd concept to some that a business can't pay whatever it is the person thinks they are worth.
then the owner tells employee B,C and D WHY he gave A a pay raise,and tells them he expects the same from them and THEY will get a raise also.sounds like a win win to me.........everyone knows where they stand and what is expected of them.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
In many cases they would need to put their homes and life savings on the line too in order to equal the risk.
What do you think they are doing if they are employed by someone in a certain place they have to buy a house and move to where their job is........... to most,that is their life savings.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:38 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
then the owner tells employee B,C and D WHY he gave A a pay raise,and tells them he expects the same from them and THEY will get a raise also.sounds like a win win to me.........everyone knows where they stand and what is expected of them.
Employee's B,C, and D are still unhappy which resolves nothing and there is absolutely nothing stopping an employer from giving a good employee a raise now.

You have to find a scenario that isn't done today to argue that something needs changed.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:41 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
LOL, I love it! Like all of you talking about lazy loser employee's who dick around & go on the internet all day are such prime examples of the perfect employee. Please.
No.
I am the perfect example of the owner.
I signed the loan that would ruin me if it didn't work out.
I go early and stay late and if someone doesn't show up, I suck it up.
I spend my days off at meetings. I work holidays and weekends.
If the profit falls/there is a loss, I take the hit and pay my employees no matter what, including their bonus.
I don't have time to eat, drink, or pee, but everyone else gets a mandated 30 minute break.
Few people would be willing to do what I have done to get where I am.
And until you're out there surveying the hiring pool, you won't be able to wrap your head around the fact that the 'work ethic' is dying everywhere.

Majority of American Workers Not Engaged in Their Jobs

Old 04-02-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately for you, economic decisions are never made based on raw emotion and personal opinion.

Yes, why the hell wouldn't you do the math to figure out how to get more money? Are YOU serious? Do you honestly mean there are people out there who blindly show up to work, don't figure out how much they can contribute to their company's financial future and still expect raises?

In what fantasy land are they living?

You can get a very, very good idea. Give me a company, any company and I will get their rough financial to you in an hour. Let me put my money where my mouth is.

Everyone deserves a wage they can get by on, and everyone already has that. Not everyone deserves a wage where they can own their own home, go out on weekends and only work 40 hours/week just because they have a pulse and can wash a dish. Get a few roommates, live with another family, don't own a car, cook your own meals and minimum wage is very livable.

Can you also explain why it "just isn't in the cards" for many people? Why can't the dishwasher see that they are understaffed in cooks for a few hours/night, volunteer to help cook instead of hiring someone else and then ask for a raise as a result?

So you pick a single CEO of one of the highest grossing companies to prove your point? Talk about utilizing outiers instead of honest data!

Can you actually address my points instead of deflecting as you did? Give me a job, any job in any city and i guarantee I can find the true average wage. Talk to people, network, research. You know, but in effort to research what you are worth instead of passively wanting someone else to do the heavy lifting for you.

...there are a lot of laws dictating that the financial reports are truthful. Hell, dodd-frank still adds several dozen pages of regulation every week. And anyone with an ounce of education can pick up a financial report and look for the areas that look shady. It just takes a little personal effort.

Everyone thinks they are an above average worker and obviously not everyone is. Releasing all salaries would be disastrous! Have you ever managed anyone? Obviously not...older workers are typically paid more than younger workers who have the same skillset because a company needs to provide an incentive for younger people to stay. If a younger person feels they can work up to something in a company, they are statistically more likely to show loyalty. If they think they can jump ship at the drop of a hat for more cash, they will show absolutely no loyalty, and productivity in turn suffers. Suppose that younger person who is a rising star now suddenly sees that the 50 year old guy in the office next to him makes 70% more than him while doing less work. Suppose he factually knows that. He will approach his boss and demand a raise to that level of pay or he will quit.

This idea would do nothing but further separate the top producers into companies of their own while leaving those with less ability or drive behind. Talk about a terrible idea.

No CEO ever expects the same increase as he saves on a yearly basis. What are you talking about?

Actually it is closer to 37x the average worker. The study that claimed 400x was based on S&P data, a service which not only looks at the 350 highest grossing salaries in the country, but also changed its reporting methodology in the 1990's. Prior to the '90s it only looked at salary whereas today it looks at salary plus non-monetary benefits (options, health care, etc.)

Imagine...actually looking at the methodology behind a statistic instead of blindly believing any news report that supports what you want to believe.

Concerning your reply to my statements on everyone being aware of what the others make in wages.
You seem to believe you have a handle on what makes employees dedicate themselves to an employer and how that employer needs to "handle" its work force.
I worked for 37 years for one of the largest railroads in the world.They are now called BNSF.Would you explain to me why it is one of the most profitable businesses in transportation while still being one of the most unionized employers in the country.Recently it was purchased by one of the most sucessful investors in recent times,Warren Buffet.
If unions are so detrimental to a company,and knowing what everyone else makes is a disaster to a company...... why are they so sucessful,and attract one of the most discerning investors in the world????
lets see if YOU are able to answer some direct questions???

Old 04-02-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No.
I am the perfect example of the owner.
I signed the loan that would ruin me if it didn't work out.
I go early and stay late and if someone doesn't show up, I suck it up.
I spend my days off at meetings. I work holidays and weekends.
If the profit falls/there is a loss, I take the hit and pay my employees no matter what, including their bonus.
I don't have time to eat, drink, or pee, but everyone else gets a mandated 30 minute break.
Few people would be willing to do what I have done to get where I am.
And until you're out there surveying the hiring pool, you won't be able to wrap your head around the fact that the 'work ethic' is dying everywhere.

Majority of American Workers Not Engaged in Their Jobs
then why do you do it? Power trip?

Old 04-02-2013, 10:56 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
any employee working for a business is taking the same risk as the owner.they stand to lose their livlihood if it fails just the same as the owner.
That's a joke, right? Right?!!

It has to be.

Either that, or you're so remarkably clueless as to how much most business owners have invested in their companies.

Let me break it down for you with a relatively simple example, because if you weren't joking, you need some seriously idiot-proof knowledge.

Joe works for Mom & Pop's Italian Restaurant as head chef. He makes reasonable money - enough to pay the mortgage, feed his kids and put a little away for retirement. He gets paid twice per month, like clockwork.

Mom & Pop own the business. They've poured every penny they had into getting it off the ground, including taking out a 2nd mortgage on their house, and they've also taken out a small business loan to finance the more expensive equipment and construction. The business makes money, but it's going to be many years before the loans are all paid off and they're completely out of debt.

Along comes September, 2008, or some other economic downturn. The economy tanks, and with it, Mom & Pop's receipts. They have to make cuts. They cut their advertising budget. They cut back hours. They cut whatever and wherever they can, but it's not enough. Soon, Mom & Pop start going without a paycheck themselves, so they can make sure to meet the payroll every other week.

Eventually, the business is forced to close its doors.

Now, let's look at Joe's situation vs. Mom & Pop's.

Joe goes and gets another job at another restaurant. Maybe it takes him a month or two, but he's a good chef, and he's soon earning what he was being paid by Mom & Pop. He's lost nothing, except for a month or two of pay.

Mom & Pop lose everything. They can't repay the loans. They lose their house. They lose their business. They lose the equipment. They're effectively unemployable, because as former business owners, nobody wants to hire them (it may be news to you, but most employers don't like hiring people that are used to calling all the shots). On top of it all, they're being sued by the various vendors and suppliers that serviced the restaurant. They're hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, and they have no prospects for finding their way out of that hole.

That's a fictitious example, of course, but I have no doubt whatsoever that you could find hundreds or even thousands of examples of pretty much exactly that scenario if you went looking for them.

Yeah, sure they're taking the same risk.

Are you f'ing kidding me?!?!

Old 04-02-2013, 11:07 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
any employee working for a business is taking the same risk as the owner.they stand to lose their livlihood if it fails just the same as the owner.
Yup, no clue as to how business works. So the worker loses their job. Other than their time, which they have been paid for, what else have they contributed to the company? What risk have they taken? Did they infuse capital? Work hours they were not paid for to make the company a success?

Those are things a business owner does. The business owner not only loses their pay, but also whatever money they've put into the business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies