Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:21 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Hint--the states with the highest taxes generally provide their people with the highest standard of living in this country, for example, Minnesota and the New England states.
EXACTLY!! AND WHO WANTS TO RAISE TAXES LIBERALS!!! WHY? SO THE GOVERNMENT CAN TAKE CARE OF THEM FROM CRADLE TO GRAVE!! I am finding once again that liberalism seems to frequently accompany delusiveness! Who is it that keeps whining about getting the government to pay for their healthcare? Not me, I dont think it is your job to pay for any of my responsibilitys, thats my job! LIBERALS believe everyone else should pay for their responsibilitys, to one degree or another! how can you expect to actually be taken serious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 06:04 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
EXACTLY!! AND WHO WANTS TO RAISE TAXES LIBERALS!!! WHY? SO THE GOVERNMENT CAN TAKE CARE OF THEM FROM CRADLE TO GRAVE!! I am finding once again that liberalism seems to frequently accompany delusiveness! Who is it that keeps whining about getting the government to pay for their healthcare? Not me, I dont think it is your job to pay for any of my responsibilitys, thats my job! LIBERALS believe everyone else should pay for their responsibilitys, to one degree or another! how can you expect to actually be taken serious?
So a lot of people in this country are going to the polls to vote more taxes upon themselves to finance building a new police station, jail, parks and on up to a huge new arena. What is so liberal about wanting a new police station to respond to a growing city? I have no problem with raising taxes to finance all this nice public stuff. If we're not worthy of it, we should vote NO.

If so many of us want universal health care, maybe we should vote on the question and how to raise taxes to finance it.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:35 PM

559 posts, read 1,324,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
I know that many of the bigger cities take a liberal slant (I think basically every city of 400,000 or more votes heavily democratic).

I know that Orange County has been cited as a conservative mecca, but it is really a collection of suburbs, isn't it? Most conservative areas seem to be in the suburbs.

That got me thinking... In cities you are essentially "forced" to interact with other people (on crowded sidewalks, on public transportation, etc) while in the suburbs you can stay in your SUV cocoon of individuality.

I think the political philosophies carry over as well. Liberals tend to be centered on the needs of a group while conservatives focus more on how it benefits them.

Therefore, I don't think it is possible for there to be a large conservative city in the US.
Just goes to show you that ultra-conservatives, while they often say they are religious and flaunt it, go against what Jesus preached.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:26 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
Just goes to show you that ultra-conservatives, while they often say they are religious and flaunt it, go against what Jesus preached.
Jesus preached about raising taxes??? Wow, I missed that in the Bible, could you direct me to where he says that?

What Jesus preached about was caring for people on a PERSONAL level. He didn't preach about wanting to toss some change to the government so they can take half of it to fund their beauracracies, buildings, and paid civil servants.

For me, it is WAY more efficient for me to spend 100% directly to a charity or person in need than to hand it off to the government for them to spend inefficiently. If we had more INDIVIDUALS willing to help INDIVIDUALS, the world would be a better place. Paying the government to care for you is passing the buck.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:31 AM

559 posts, read 1,324,019 times
well, when I drive through conservative neighborhoods with Mc Mansions, BMW's, SUVs, Boats, Campers etc..., all of that money sure isnt going to help the less fortunate.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:36 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
health and welfare of the society as a whole is EVERYONE"S responsibility.... and yes that means even YOU.. I would feel terrible if you or your husband/wife were diagnosed with cancer, and you lacked being able to afford treatment.... I would be more than willing to pay taxes to a system that ensures your family has those basic necessities to life.... whether you live in a big house or drive a new car is up to your own....
don't confuse the two...

Old 10-30-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Jesus preached about raising taxes??? Wow, I missed that in the Bible, could you direct me to where he says that?

What Jesus preached about was caring for people on a PERSONAL level. He didn't preach about wanting to toss some change to the government so they can take half of it to fund their beauracracies, buildings, and paid civil servants.

For me, it is WAY more efficient for me to spend 100% directly to a charity or person in need than to hand it off to the government for them to spend inefficiently. If we had more INDIVIDUALS willing to help INDIVIDUALS, the world would be a better place. Paying the government to care for you is passing the buck.
you don't know jesus... nor does anyone else.. I wish everyone would just quit speaking for the man....if he's great... let him be great and let his teaching exist to be there for example on however anyone wants to take it.. but don't sit here and tell others what its all about like you are all knowing of great unkown... because you're not... arguments can be made from both sides on what jesus would stand for...

Old 10-30-2007, 01:33 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
you don't know jesus... nor does anyone else.. I wish everyone would just quit speaking for the man....if he's great... let him be great and let his teaching exist to be there for example on however anyone wants to take it.. but don't sit here and tell others what its all about like you are all knowing of great unkown... because you're not... arguments can be made from both sides on what jesus would stand for...
I do know Jesus

As I said, point to me where in the Bible it says that Jesus supported raising taxes.

And are you really trying to contradict the idea that Jesus spoke for people to have compassion for each other?

Maybe you see it as him wanting us to have compassion by raising taxes. I see him as wanting us to be personally involved in compassion.

And could you please direct me to where I said I was the all knowing of the great unknown? Or will you simply say something along the lines of "well you didn't say that, but going by what you posted blah blah blah".

Old 10-30-2007, 01:42 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
back tot the topic Jacksonville & San Diego come to mind. Both cities are military towns and seem to always vote Republican.Jacksonville is an anomaly in Florida considering the major cities in Florida lean to the liberal side for the most part.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
I do know Jesus

As I said, point to me where in the Bible it says that Jesus supported raising taxes.

And are you really trying to contradict the idea that Jesus spoke for people to have compassion for each other?

Maybe you see it as him wanting us to have compassion by raising taxes. I see him as wanting us to be personally involved in compassion.

And could you please direct me to where I said I was the all knowing of the great unknown? Or will you simply say something along the lines of "well you didn't say that, but going by what you posted blah blah blah".
this whole post is speaking of all knowing.. YOU DON"T KNOW JESUS.. he died thousands of years ago.. so whatever you think you know.. is in your emotional database of knowlege.. it is NOT FACT...
I don't care what the bible says.. it is not written by jesus.. or anyone else that is divine.. it was written by MEN... its fiction as far as I'm concerned..
but don't sit here and tell me you know jesus well enough to speak for him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies