Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,368,235 times

Advertisements

Hi there...another resident CD liberal here. Hope my presence doesn't make you froth at the mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Voting for Dems certainly doesn't help my best interests. Taxing my paycheck and redistributing to the so called "poor", giving them a life of luxury including free food, housing, medical etc. Plus I'm supporting a bunch of bastard children their mothers produced with "bad boy" primitives. I would rather the rich get a huge tax break than give money to the welfare class and run up our budget in the process.
This is one of the most ignorant posts I've seen in a while. No, make that pretty much ever. People on welfare living the life of luxury?? Surely, you jest. But then, you add that line about "bastard children" and "primitives", and it confirms to me that you're just another one of "them". I haven't been around enough to know how moderated this forum is, so I can't go really saying what I mean. Suffice to say, I'll file your post in the same place I dump my lunch.

Not all people on welfare are the welfare queens you so despise (as do many liberals, believe it or not). Many of them are hard working people just trying to get through another day. But, since we seem to support companies like Wal-Mart raking in tens of billions every year while paying wages that very few can get by on, that's what we're left with: subsidizing corporations through welfare. You might think this is perfection. I think it stinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
I detest welfare mooches as much as the next guy, but calling it the life of luxury is a pretty huge stretch. If living off welfare is so great, you would be doing it, as would everyone else. You're not working because of some "morals" you have. You just know that your life is much better by earning a paycheck than getting government aid.
Exactly. How many people would really go to work if they could actually live a solid life through handouts? The reality is that they can't, so they work instead. Few are out there working solely because they feel they have a moral duty to do so. If all I wanted in life could be supplied through welfare, I'd go that route and live an entirely meager existence. But since I would rather eat nicer meals, live in a nicer house, drive a nicer car, and be able to travel...I work. And so do you. And everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I also like the "idea" of labor unions, I've just never seen one work the way it should or help in the way that they should.
I'm glad you at least said you like the idea of unions. That's more than I have seen many others admit to.

Quote:
If you don't like my opinions I suggest you find another thread to object in, I'm entitled to my opinions based on my personal experiences and if you don't like them deal with it. Until I see labor unions actually benefit the country and not just labor union bosses while unnecessarily increasing the cost of all products in this country I'll change my mind. Until then, it isn't happening.
Quote:
I guess I could be more specific.

I support right to work legislation and support anything that lessens the control of labor unions. I detest the corruption that is always found at the core of any labor union. I firmly believe that labor unions are for people who want inflated pay in return for a lack of skill or value.

I've been told by a few liberals that this specifically means that I'm "voting against my own best interests."
Quote:
I love working people, I'm a working guy myself and I support anyone who works to support their family without taking gov. money when they shouldn't need it. I don't support corrupt labor unions, I feel that they're outdated and are a dying relic of an older time when they were needed.
I wish unions weren't needed any more. But let's be serious: a lot of employers aren't exactly lining up to figure out how to treat their employees better or to give them better wages or benefits. In fact, they are mostly trying every angle possible to cut all of those to the bone.

Are there some corrupt unions around? Of course! Just as there are numerous examples of corrupt corporations and rich people. Don't try to make it sound like all non-union working people, business owners, and corporations are free from corruption and are all unicorns and rainbows. If you believe that, your partisan blinders are so thick it would take a jackhammer to get them off.

I am a member of the Theatrical Stagehands union, IATSE. It indeed has its share of corrupt people. But look at my local: the business agent has to use his own personal computer at work, because the union itself can't afford to buy one. They have a donated photocopier, because there isn't enough money to buy one. The office is the size of a bedroom closet, and is dark and dirty. Not exactly living the high life and renting yachts.

Now, let's look at an example where I think unions DO help. This industry is largely made up of freelance employees who are called in masse to a job site. The industry has both union and non-union workers. The union people generally work directly through the union hall. The non-union workers generally work for a private company who sends them out to calls.

I don't have the exact numbers, but the private companies charge nearly as much for their labor as the union does (it's probably less, but not by much). However, there is one big difference: on the union jobs, nearly all of the money goes to the worker. And the worker then pays a small percentage back to the union. The worker is also given money into a health and welfare fund, an annuity, and has all of the overtime, turnaround, and holiday benefits, and is paid through W2 with taxes dealt with appropriately. The worker also knows that he cannot be pressured into working extra hours with no just compensation. The private company workers make little more than minimum wage, up to maybe $15 an hour for "high-skill" positions, receive absolutely no benefits, usually rarely see overtime or turnaround time benefits even if they work those hours, and they get 1099d. However, the company is billing overtime. All of the extra money goes into the company's pockets.

Now, of course comes up the "personal responsibility" and the "you need to negotiate your own deal". In this business, you rarely, if ever, deal directly with the client. So there is no negotiating with anyone. You are simply part of a labor provider.

It nearly made me cry when I asked one of the people working for me one day (provided by one of the private companies) if she would be back the next day. Her response? "Oh, no way! They have me doing a job for the next seven days where I'll make like $300!! I can't turn down that kind of money!!" That's really sad.

Can unions support the "equal pay for equal laze" type mentality? Sure. But don't try to convince me that that's rampant and the only end result of unions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Your delusions are well fed by Republican-Libertarian ideology. You further delude yourself into thinking that your enemy is the poor, and ignore the ones that are running the country. The moment you remove regulations, those with the most money can do the most manipulating. But that, too, goes unperceived by you, in lieu of fantasies fed you by the right wing. Carry on.
I'm not sure they are delusions. It might well be that that's the way he wants it. I know more than one person who wants all regulations removed, and they don't care who or what gets damaged in the process as long as there is money flowing. To them, regulations are nothing more than brick walls in the way of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Would the Hostess union not take drastic cuts in pay and benefits while the executives give themselves huge pay raises and bonuses be one of them?
Indeed. I read several articles stating that the unions at Hostess had twice before taken concessions in order to help with the issues Hostess was going through. The third time, they said no. And in the meantime, the executives give themselves huge raises. If this doesn't send up a big red flag, then we have no hope whatsoever.

Quote:
Of course it does, your ability to elect fellow liberals into office relies heavily on your ability to buy enough votes with gov. handouts and social programs while other people pay for them. Without the gimmiegrant lifestyle there would never been another liberal elected in this country.
You're kind of tying Jay F. above. Many people, including myself, vote "liberals" into office based on nothing related to handouts and gimmes. Except for unemployment some 15 years ago, I have never received a government check (and that was only because it's what we did while our company had us on layoff, contracted to bring us back a few months later). My wife was unemployed for over a year after she got pregnant and couldn't work any more. She never got a check. I'm sorry that you think that all liberals want handouts and free ****. If you believe that, will you then admit that all conservatives want nothing more than to crush anyone around them in their pursuit of the almighty dollar and to remove the rights of anyone who's not a white Christian male? I mean, that's what conservatives are all about, right? Right???

So, if you're so concerned about people getting handouts, especially when they don't need them, then this article should make your blood boil. However, somehow, I think it won't.

----

As for the original post, no...no one can tell you what your best interest are. However...if you are working as a general laborer for a large corporation, generally Republicans are not going to be looking out for your interests. If you're retired and living off benefits, generally, Republicans are not going to be looking out for your interests. It's the people who are on Medicare out protesting with signs saying "get rid of socialized healthcare!"...those people simply don't seem to know what their own best interests are. You...I have no idea. However, given your words here, I'm guessing you're higher up the food chain at a decently-sized company. For you, Republican might well be your best interest.

Last edited by samiwas1; 04-07-2013 at 09:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 08:20 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,741,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
he's full of ****. No one can pay for a full time university education while (in his words) working a crap job, while also paying rent in an apartment.
Just surviving is difficult on a crap job, since minimum wage is not a living wage. And if one fills one's life with multiple jobs to make up for the fact that one minimum wage job does not provide a living wage, one has no time to study, attend class, do research, write papers, etc. unless one does most of these "on the jobs." And of course, even then, all that leaves 0 time for sleeping, showering, doing the wash, preparing a meal, or even going to the bathroom.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:35 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,053,009 times
Quote:
Just surviving is difficult on a crap job, since minimum wage is not a living wage. And if one fills one's life with multiple jobs to make up for the fact that one minimum wage job does not provide a living wage, one has no time to study, attend class, do research, write papers, etc. unless one does most of these "on the jobs." And of course, even then, all that leaves 0 time for sleeping, showering, doing the wash, preparing a meal, or even going to the bathroom.
Just because some of you don't have the determination and ability to make it happen, don't blame those of us who do for your inadequacies. There are millions of people in this country who don't live as victims looking for help with every aspect of life, my wife also graduated with a 4 year college degree with no debt and very minimal help from anyone. It can be done, it's hard but it can be done.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:16 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,217,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
9 out of 10 highest income states are Blue
9 out 10 lowest income states are Red.

OP bragging how he doesn't listen to liberals.......LOL

List of U.S. states by income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What is your point? The majority of states with the highest personal debt are blue. Why does a high income matter if your net worth is abysmal?

Old 04-08-2013, 12:32 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,290,873 times
Quote:
... since minimum wage is not a living wage.
Minimum wage was NEVER, EVER intended to be a "living wage". Nor, should it ever be such.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Just because some of you don't have the determination and ability to make it happen, don't blame those of us who do for your inadequacies. There are millions of people in this country who don't live as victims looking for help with every aspect of life, my wife also graduated with a 4 year college degree with no debt and very minimal help from anyone. It can be done, it's hard but it can be done.
Oh yeah, of course.

You know, I could be one very, very wealthy woman if I got 1 penny for every right winger that's out there chest-banging about:

1. How he went from sharecropper to multi-millionaire, single-handedly, with no help from anyone, just through sheer hard work, working 4 jobs and never sleeping;
2. How he worked several jobs and put himself through med school, all at the same time;
3. How he is stronger than a locomotive, leaps tall buildings in a single bound, can multiply bread magically, and walk on water.

Hell, I'd need a piggy bank as tall as the Burj Khalifa!

Old 04-08-2013, 02:33 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,053,009 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, of course.

You know, I could be one very, very wealthy woman if I got 1 penny for every right winger that's out there chest-banging about:

1. How he went from sharecropper to multi-millionaire, single-handedly, with no help from anyone, just through sheer hard work, working 4 jobs and never sleeping;
2. How he worked several jobs and put himself through med school, all at the same time;
3. How he is stronger than a locomotive, leaps tall buildings in a single bound, can multiply bread magically, and walk on water.

And now we've hit the point where you go from just talking to making wild exaggerated statements because you have no possibly way of answering honestly without destroying your own agenda. It's pathetic, it's expected and frankly, it's getting really tiresome coming from you.

If you don't believe me that's fine but I didn't claim any of the crap in your statement so take your BS lies, your ignorance and your extreme bias somewhere else... we're not buying it here.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:16 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,015,472 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, of course.

So, are you claiming that nobody has ever worked their way through college?

That chest-banging is called pride.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
And now we've hit the point where you go from just talking to making wild exaggerated statements because you have no possibly way of answering honestly without destroying your own agenda. It's pathetic, it's expected and frankly, it's getting really tiresome coming from you.

If you don't believe me that's fine but I didn't claim any of the crap in your statement so take your BS lies, your ignorance and your extreme bias somewhere else... we're not buying it here.
I wish I were exaggerating or being funny, but the fact is that right wingers do nothing but boast about imaginary accomplishments no one believes. And you know what? It's not that the rest of us don't know the intention behind all that boasting about imaginary accomplishments. We know perfectly well it's all part of the right wing agenda, which is the same old, tired agenda Reagan had, then GW Bush, and in between all the Karl Roves and all those Bible banging preachers who were intricately interwoven with the right wing. At the bottom of it is the hatred of the poor, a scapegoating meant to deflect from who is actually doing the damage to this country, and it sure as hell isn't the poor.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:52 PM

7,522 posts, read 5,768,086 times
Quote:
I'm in my 30s
I'm pretty conservative with a libertarian streak
I generally vote R only because they're the better of 2 horrible options.
I have a college education
I'm white
I've been married for 10+ years
I'm an engineer
We have 2 children of our own and we've adopted children.
Well, according to the moonbat handbook we do know your a racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies