Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:52 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,661,253 times

Advertisements

Her "personal and dear" friend ( her words not mine) Pinochet and her can now take turns to congratulate each other on their politics in Hell.

I admired her grit and ambition. Otherwise she was one small step removed from evil in my book. The most destructive Politician in British society for a very long time. There seems to be a lot of people cheering in the UK right now.

Sad for her family. Not so sad for this country.

I can't really celebrate her death despite my visceral loathing of her. I do wish she had reaped what she had sowed though.

Her legacy sadly still lives on and she and people like her seemed to have built the foundations of our current financial crisis with their so called market led policies and demands for financial deregulation and "free market" to be all consuming, all powerful. Her "descendants" followed a very Thatcherite model. Greed and selfishness combined to make a perfect storm.

Celebrating her death is tasteless perhaps but her policies were far, far worse and more destructive .

Maybe instead of Champagne a quiet moment of satisfied reflection that this political nightmare is no more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 07:55 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,583,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Brits are great at spinning Myths, Legends, and Lore.
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but it's an interesting question. Much of American political culture is built around myth, beginning with Washington and his little axe. I think most historians would agree that, in terms of historical memory, the two greatest British figures of the Twentieth Century, Churchill and Thatcher, are far more mythologized in the United States than in their own land. Both remain controversial in the U.K., their good and bad points equally noted, but are much more likely to be presented in a single dimension here.

76,971 posts, read 47,765,506 times
People in UK can call her conservative, but in US she would have been a democrat. Big spender, and although she lowered some taxes, she raised other taxes, and did nothing to privetize health care.

6,933 posts, read 8,512,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I admired her grit and ambition. Otherwise she was one small step removed from evil in my book. The most destructive Politician in British society for a very long time. There seems to be a lot of people cheering in the UK right now.
You express sentiments similar to my own. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 AM

7,874 posts, read 10,318,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The ANC did resort to bombings and violence. One mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist.
unfortunatley you cannot shame viscious bullys - bigots into changing their policys with high minded rhetoric , luckily everyone understands a bloody nose

thatcher was an idealogue , she did good when dealing with intransigent unions who had held the economy to ransom for too long , she was utterly wrongheaded in some other areas

a remarkable and iconic politican who wont be forgotten , thats for sure

Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 AM

13,186 posts, read 15,005,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Her "personal and dear" friend ( her words not mine) Pinochet and her can now take turns to congratulate each other on their politics in Hell.

Sad for her family. Not so sad for this country.

I can't really celebrate her death despite my visceral loathing of her. I do wish she had reaped what she had sowed though.
UK lost 30% of it's manufacturing output under her leadership. They've never recovered. They have one the highest income disparities in Europe.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:58 AM

73,139 posts, read 62,835,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
My initial thought was: She is dead, the wicked witch is dead!

My second thought was: Not really. Her legacy of devastating the remote parts of Britain for the City of London financiers and her support of apartheid by the upper crust still live on to the detriment of much of the British.
I heard of her death this morning. I didn't feel anything for her. Considering her legacy, supporting apartheid, being "the milk snatcher", and some of the other things you mentioned, I can't say I have much respect for her.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,166,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Well she drove the Left mad that means she is alright in my book.

RIP
She had more balls than some of these men politicians.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:04 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,459,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
This has turned into a hate-fest by liberals.

Who coulda predicted that?

Just yesterday I posted that Liberals will come out and show their true colors when people they don't agree with dies. Today I am proven correct.
Nothing drives liberals more crazy than successful right wing politicians. It makes them more unhinged.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:06 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,459,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
People in UK can call her conservative, but in US she would have been a democrat. Big spender, and although she lowered some taxes, she raised other taxes, and did nothing to privetize health care.
The UK shifted Left structurally about 100 years ago when the working classes and women got the vote. One has to work within the political realities of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies