Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:41 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Lol...no can do man. Especially if we are talking about crossing state lines. Buy, sell or trade, the transaction HAS to go through and FFL. With all required checks and paperwork. Got some antis here, that just don't get it. All this stuff they are yammering about is already in place. And it works, while maintaining our privacy. That is what they don't like. Tbey want an invasive, intrusive, system. Nothing less will do.
Yes, crossing state lines is a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Did I say there is such a site?

I could tell you right now that I am willing to sell you my personal Sig Sauer P220, and if you express interest in the offer, then we can arrange the deal, and I would not have to perform a background check for it. People selling their personal firearms are NOT required to do it. I posted the link from ATF stating that exact fact.

People who run a business selling guns DO HAVE TO have a licence and perform BGCs.
Sorry, but not so much. Federal law dictates that handguns may only be transferred in one's state of residence. Since you and I are not residents of the same state you would have to ship it to a FFL in my home state to make the transaction legal.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Wait a minute? Is this a law, that repeats the law that is already in place, so they can take credit for passing gun legislation, to please there herd of sheep?

Back ground checks are already a requirement for all gun dealers. Nothing would change.
It is not about FFLs. The whole point is about private sales. How many times does it have to be repeated?

Old 04-11-2013, 07:46 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Not true (again).

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | ATF
It must vary state to state then because it's against the law here. I thought it was Federal rather than state specific law.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Sorry, but not so much. Federal law dictates that handguns may only be transferred in one's state of residence.
Yes, you know this because I just quoted the law to you. Before that you said you cannot ship them anywhere. You are welcome. I am here to educate

Quote:
Since you and I are not residents of the same state you would have to ship it to a FFL in my home state to make the transaction legal.
Yes, if you cross state lines, that would be a requirement.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:53 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
It is not about FFLs. The whole point is about private sales. How many times does it have to be repeated?

There is no way what so ever to enforce that free market transaction. No way at all.
It would be like making sodomy illegal.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
It must vary state to state then because it's against the law here. I thought it was Federal rather than state specific law.
It is possible. Being in MA you still suffer from Mitt Romney's war against private gun ownership.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
What in these proposed laws would have stopped sandy hook?

Old 04-11-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There is no way what so ever to enforce that free market transaction. No way at all.
It would be like making sodomy illegal.
They can write a law. Whether or not people obey it is a different matter. People who obey laws are referred to as "law abiding citizens". Either you are such a person, or you are not.

Sodomy was illegal in US, and the penalty was death. Later the penalty was reduced to castration, and during Bush presidency enforcing sodomy laws aka "crimes against nature" were deemed illegal.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:03 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
It is not the states job to make criminals less lethal. It is the states job to make sure we are all free people. Free people protect themselves from the criminals.

As less people were gun owners, they told us we didn't need to be armed, infringing our access to weapons and ammo and now we have to lock our doors and windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies