Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 01:40 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,178,863 times

Advertisements

NBC/WSJ poll: 53 percent support gay marriage - First Read

Quote:
...By party, 73 percent of Democrats and 54 percent of independents back gay marriage, while 66 percent of Republicans oppose it.
The article also says opposition has increased 2% over the year, too. So perhaps some of the undecided are breaking against the issue.

The politics makes sense given the GOP is the home to the cultural conservatives, a key part of the GOP coalition. Also note the overall pro- results are within the polls' margin of error, so the country is still pretty much divided over this issue. The USSC decisions will be key. I think if the court rules against gay marriage (the California case) you will see the pro- numbers drop a bit.

The question is, in the unlikely event of a positive (for the gays) ruling, what the GOP political response will be? Another try at a Constitutional amendement banning same-sex marriage? I think this is maybe more plausible than it sounds IF it can get out of Congress and to the states....

...the interesting pardox is a conservative loss on the issue in the courts would be a bonus to the GOP as a way of keeping their base engaged & mobilized, around a constitutional amendment campaign..

Key takeway, though, is that the polling isnt overwhelmingly pro- same-sex marriage. Opinion is still divided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 02:01 PM

26,500 posts, read 15,084,039 times
I think it is important to remember that it was only 11 months ago that Obama was publicly opposed to gay marriage due to "fundamental Christian values".

It will take sometime for people to come around.

I would argue the opposite of you -- that a Supreme Court ruling in favor of Gay Marriage would help the Republicans. This is a losing issue for their party and if the Supreme Court takes away the issue they can focus on more winnable positions and gain back some independents. Why do you think Obama made the 2012 election primarily about social issues?

Old 04-12-2013, 02:04 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
The NBC/WSJ poll was conducted of 1,000 adults (including 300 cell phone-only respondents) from April 5-8, and it has an overall margin of error of plus-minus 3.1 percentage points.
This is why i usually don't take these surveys seriously.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:15 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
That's a very small sample.

The only way they'll get an accurate count is if the GOP puts Gay Marriage on the questionnaire for next year's core issues mailer.

I don't recall that being on the last one. Illegal Immigration was, but not gay marriage.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:27 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Why do you think Obama made the 2012 election primarily about social issues?
Because everytime he opens his mouth about the economy he proves he is incompetent.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:28 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
66% of GOP oppose Gay Marriage (NBC/WSJ Poll)

So? What's the point? And what possible difference could it make to you?

Old 04-12-2013, 03:05 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,918 times
It's pretty amazing there are that many irrational people that think this is an important issue, particularly when at the moment we could be on the verge of giving amnesty to 20+ million people who are here illegally. Consider the affects this will have on an economy already in recession, already with high unemployment, the affects on a straining health care system, education in our school systems which continue to decline due to the number of children who don't speak English, pollution, dwindling water supplies in many parts of the country, and most of all perhaps the end of the GOP since many of these people will vote democrat. Nobody seems to be paying attention. The GOP could gain some ground if they would stop pandering to the Marco Rubio crowd, and grow a pair, and stand up for what's right, explaining the detrimental affects this could have on our country.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:05 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post

The article also says opposition has increased 2% over the year, too. So perhaps some of the undecided are breaking against the issue.

The politics makes sense given the GOP is the home to the cultural conservatives, a key part of the GOP coalition. Also note the overall pro- results are within the polls' margin of error, so the country is still pretty much divided over this issue. The USSC decisions will be key. I think if the court rules against gay marriage (the California case) you will see the pro- numbers drop a bit.

The question is, in the unlikely event of a positive (for the gays) ruling, what the GOP political response will be? Another try at a Constitutional amendement banning same-sex marriage? I think this is maybe more plausible than it sounds IF it can get out of Congress and to the states....

...the interesting pardox is a conservative loss on the issue in the courts would be a bonus to the GOP as a way of keeping their base engaged & mobilized, around a constitutional amendment campaign..

Key takeway, though, is that the polling isnt overwhelmingly pro- same-sex marriage. Opinion is still divided.
I wasn't polled so make it 67%

Old 04-12-2013, 05:31 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,778 times
Determination of what rights people have is not by public polls or opinion.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:43 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I think it is important to remember that it was only 11 months ago that Obama was publicly opposed to gay marriage due to "fundamental Christian values".

It will take sometime for people to come around.

I would argue the opposite of you -- that a Supreme Court ruling in favor of Gay Marriage would help the Republicans. This is a losing issue for their party and if the Supreme Court takes away the issue they can focus on more winnable positions and gain back some independents. Why do you think Obama made the 2012 election primarily about social issues?
"Come around?" Why should anybody "come around?"

Marriage means one thing: The union of a man and a woman. Period.

Why is it that homosexuals living together find it so important to be referred to as "married?" They can have civil unions; but, marriage means only one thing: The union of a male and female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies