Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:50 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times

Advertisements

I can't be the only person in LGBT community on this forum who feels the same way, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 10:51 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,719,722 times
Could you please explain your reasoning for your opposition?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:52 AM

387 posts, read 678,011 times
In that you don't think you'll want to get married? Or that you think same-sex marriages should be criminalized or just not recognized? Can you be more specific and explain why?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:54 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,433,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I can't be the only person in LGBT community on this forum who feels the same way, right?

Are you a Log Cabin Republican too?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:55 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,342,175 times
As a hetero I wish hetero marriage was banned it would save lots of headaches and arguments.

However I do support gay marriage as everyone should have same problems . I hope that if you are ever in a position of power you ban hetero marriage.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:56 AM

479 posts, read 1,443,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
As a hetero I wish hetero marriage was banned it would save lots of headaches and arguments.

However I do support gay marriage and hope that if you are ever in a position of power you ban hetero marriage.
I am a hetero as well and I approve of this message!

Old 12-01-2008, 10:56 AM

I would much rather have civil unions and/or domestic partnerships that have the same rights, privileges, etc as marriage.
Allfamilies, relationships, and households struggling for stability and economic security will be helped by separating basic forms of legal and economic recognition from the requirement of marital and conjugal relationship.

BeyondMarriage.org

^They do a much better job of explaining it all. I know it's quite lengthy but some parts are worth reading.

Quote:
U.S. Census findings tell us that a majority of people, whatever their sexual and gender identities, do not live in traditional nuclear families. Recognizing the diverse households that already are the norm in this country is simply a matter of expanding upon the various forms of legal recognition that already are available. The LGBT movement has played an instrumental role in creating and advocating for domestic partnerships, second parent adoptions, reciprocal beneficiary arrangements, joint tenancy/home-ownership contracts, health care proxies, powers of attorney, and other mechanisms that help provide stability and security for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and heterosexual individuals and families. During the height of the AIDS epidemic, our communities formed support systems and constructed new kinds of families and partnerships in the face of devastating crisis and heartbreak. Both our communities and our HIV organizations recognized, respected, and fought for the rights of non-traditionally constructed families and non-conventional partnerships. Moreover, the transgender and bisexual movements, so often historically left behind or left out by the larger lesbian and gay movement, have powerfully challenged legal constructions of relationship and fought for social, legal, and economic recognition of partnerships, households, and families, which include members who shatter the narrow confines of gender conformity.
To have our government define as “legitimate families” only those households with couples in conjugal relationships does a tremendous disservice to the many other ways in which people actually construct their families, kinship networks, households, and relationships. For example, who among us seriously will argue that the following kinds of households are less socially, economically, and spiritually worthy?
· Senior citizens living together, serving as each other’s caregivers, partners, and/or constructed families
· Adult children living with and caring for their parents
· Grandparents and other family members raising their children’s (and/or a relative’s) children
· Committed, loving households in which there is more than one conjugal partner
· Blended families
· Single parent households
· Extended families (especially in particular immigrant populations) living under one roof, whose members care for one another
· ***** couples who decide to jointly create and raise a child with another ***** person or couple, in two households
· Close friends and siblings who live together in long-term, committed, non-conjugal relationships, serving as each other’s primary support and caregivers
· Care-giving and partnership relationships that have been developed to provide support systems to those living with HIV/AIDS
Marriage is not the only worthy form of family or relationship, and it should not be legally and economically privileged above all others. While we honor those for whom marriage is the most meaningful personal ­– for some, also a deeply spiritual – choice, we believe that many other kinds of kinship relationship, households, and families must also be accorded recognition.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Are you a Log Cabin Republican too?
I am insulted!!
JK,JK

But no, I guess I am a Lavender Green Party member...
I am all over the political map.
I'm socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
I am a hetero as well and I approve of this message!

I have noticed that coworkers and just overall most married 10 yrs plus regret it be it men/women .

If no kids they part if kids they endure it but when the kids move on they are miserable.

Granted not all but majority .
I never understood why anyone would want to get married and having marriage on the table is a big headache and causes arguments , break ups for me and many others in both genders.

What is good for the Goose is good for the Gander so do support same exact rights for gays .

Old 12-01-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I would much rather have civil unions and/or domestic partnerships that have the same rights, privileges, etc as marriage.
Allfamilies, relationships, and households struggling for stability and economic security will be helped by separating basic forms of legal and economic recognition from the requirement of marital and conjugal relationship.

BeyondMarriage.org

^They do a much better job of explaining it all. I know it's quite lengthy but some parts are worth reading.

I havent read the link but will now but I want you to be as miserable as most of my coworkers and possibly me one day lol thus I have voted yes for gay marriage and will continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies