Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 04:57 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,390,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Most white Americans aren't Muslim extremists.
Neither were the two punks. Their actions do not need to be glorified by associating themselves with anything larger than their own sorry selves. Two bored, spoiled little punks is all.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:04 AM

26,667 posts, read 28,901,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I still dont know how I feel about the lockdown that took place and how happily everyone complied. I guess their response to having their doors kicked and people coming in is what bothers me the most. A couple of friends panicked and are still outraged.
Most people did it willingly, I know I would have. We all have to work together in times of crisis. That terrorist could have been hiding in anyone's house, waiting to kill more people. The fact that they captured him and no one else was hurt or killed is fantastic.

Lock down in the cities and towns gave the police room to chase this guy if he decided to run--and not be mowing down innocent people who might have been in the way. When it's for your own protection, you do it willingly and people are usually smart enough to know it's for their own protection. The last thing we need are people who will not cooperate and work together. If you are told to stay inside for your own protection, then stay inside.

Another thing--there was a danger of more bombs being found in the streets. One the day of the Marathon there were reports of bombs being found in the streets so it was a precautionary measure. The police did their job superbly and the cooperation of the good people of Massachusetts is to be commended. Don't worry, if someone were taking away our freedoms against our will, we'd be out there fighting for our rights. Massachusetts people are not like a bunch of sheep.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:04 AM

16,427 posts, read 22,271,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Neither were the two punks. Their actions do not need to be glorified by associating themselves with anything larger than their own sorry selves. Two bored, spoiled little punks is all.
How long will people remain in denial about Islamic jihadism? Does someone have to come right up to you personaly and shove a knife in your heart screaming "Alahu akhbar!" for you to realize there is a war going on?

Old 04-20-2013, 05:06 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,960,667 times
Quote:
disagree mr. yankee,

if you don't look for the big picture you can't prevent disaster.

their actions were already "glorified" by the media circus that surrounded the tragedy-you don't think hopeless losers like attention?

and whatever happened to due process in this country, anyway?

Old 04-20-2013, 05:07 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,390,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
How long will people remain in denial about Islamic jihadism? Does someone have to come right up to you personaly and shove a knife in your heart screaming "Alahu akhbar!" for you to realize there is a war going on?
It is not about denial.

There is such a thing as Islamic jihdaism, but that does not make every punk with expensive shoes and a desire to make the evening news a Jihadist just because they post Islamic videos on their Facebook site. Did you not see that the even the Taliban issued a statement disavowing these sorry little creeps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
disagree mr. yankee,

if you don't look for the big picture you can't prevent disaster.

their actions were already "glorified" by the media circus that surrounded the tragedy-you don't think hopeless losers like attention?

and whatever happened to due process in this country, anyway?
That's Ms Yankee.

And yes their actions were glorified by the media circus. I was reminded of the movie "Dog Day Afternoon" as a matter of fact. The punks thought they would have their fun terrorizing what had been their home for the past ten years and instead they got their a$$es handed to them.

As for due process, the minute you start throwing bombs and engaging private citizens in your little bid for fifteen minutes of fame, all bets are off IMO.

So since you are into the "big picture," what was behind the punk who gunned down all those six-year olds in Newtown? I mean, other than him being a sick punk?

Old 04-20-2013, 05:15 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,488,627 times
Quote:
The prelim evidence points to them being Muslim extremist, why is this threatening to people?

Old 04-20-2013, 05:17 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,960,667 times
Quote:
It is not about denial.

There is such a thing as Islamic jihdaism, but that does not make every punk with expensive shoes and a desire to make the evening news a Jihadist just because they post Islamic videos on their Facebook site. Did you not see that the even the Taliban issued a statement disavowing these sorry little creeps?

That's Ms Yankee.

And yes their actions were glorified by the media circus. I was reminded of the movie "Dog Day Afternoon" as a matter of fact. The punks thought they would have their fun terrorizing what had been their home for the past ten years and instead they got their a$$es handed to them.

As for due process, the minute you start throwing bombs and engaging private citizens in your little bid for fifteen minutes of fame, all bets are off IMO.

So since you are into the "big picture," what was behind the punk who gunned down all those six-year olds in Newtown?
sorry ms. yankee

we actually do need to have a dialogue about what is going on in America now, and maybe it is starting.

the point is that if the suspect had been identified as a possible terrorist, that should have been the end of his stay in America.

would you agree with that?

i guess your point on the punk in newtown is that not all terrorists are muslim extremists? i agree with that.

i still find it interesting that there was literally zero footage shown of either of them setting down bombs (just them walking in the crowd) and yet people assumed they were guilty. Did people assume the first 2 guys "fingered" were guilty also? it is a good thing they immediately identified themselves or they might have been the ones chased in a city on lockdown. it is more than likely that these 2 are the culprits (particularly with the eyewitness testimony of a victim) but that is what trials are for, and evidence.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:18 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,385,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I disagree. I was born and raised in Boston and I cried for hours. However, it should offend every American to read that over 9,000 armed officers along with SWAT teams, FBI agents and other special forces took over the streets to look for 2 people. Why should 2 people, one only a teenager, be able to have such power over a major city? Several cities were on lockdown.

I think people in Boston are great and I understand why they were cheering as the police drove by. However, isn't this only sending a message to terrorists around the world that they too can get their 15 minutes of fame? If 2 young men can terrorize us so much, what would an organized terrorist organization be capable of orchestrating? We already know that answer. 9/11. If the FBI can't stop 2 kids, it's sending out a red flag. If I were a "Muslim extremist" then I'd be laughing as I watched the police strip the rights of innocent bystanders. I'd be giggling as I listened to one false report after another.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, but I honestly think all of this could have been handled better.
I wonder how the public would have reacted had the lockdown lasted indefinately? Or worse progressed to martial law?

I'm on the fence somewhat. I am glad it's over. I'm glad we have public police protection. But the whole action was (to me) something to study and learn from - both the public (who need to be making themselves prepared) and the authorities (who will hopefully hone the process in handling situations in the future).

It's amazing to me that yet again, the authorities bungled this in the beginning (not the bombing, the process of Homeland Security) by ignoring the warning signs or flags on at least one of these guys long ago.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:24 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,488,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Isn't it crazy. It's sad people really buy this kumbaya crap that is being pedaled. Folks just because someone feigns a smile at you or is polite doesn't mean they like you. I have quite a few Indian friends and they are the ones who put me on to the wickedness of Islam. I was at furst disturbed because I grew up with African Muslims from Sierra Leone and they seemed ok. Also I had a friend from Uzbekistan who seemed nice. My Indian friends weren't having it though. The Muslims they conceded can be nice but at the first opportunity they will turn and attack non-Muslims. It's their religion it was explained. So I did some investigations and it seemed my Indian friends were right. Conflicts around the globe with diverse people involving Muslims.

I think people think if Muslims aren't foaming at the mouth with hateful rhetoric then they must be ok. Read the Koran visit some Jihadi sites. That reminds me haven't been on Jihadwatch for awhile let me check in.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:25 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,970,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
I wonder how the public would have reacted had the lockdown lasted indefinately? Or worse progressed to martial law?

I'm on the fence somewhat. I am glad it's over. I'm glad we have public police protection. But the whole action was (to me) something to study and learn from - both the public (who need to be making themselves prepared) and the authorities (who will hopefully hone the process in handling situations in the future).

It's amazing to me that yet again, the authorities bungled this in the beginning (not the bombing, the process of Homeland Security) by ignoring the warning signs or flags on at least one of these guys long ago.
Why would it last indefinately? He wasn't the invisible man. It lasted as long as it did. People cooperated with the lock down...Martial law is a different animal.

Ignoring the warning signs? What warning signs should HLS been aware of prior to the bombings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies