Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:58 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Bob, Nissan isn't exporting to Asia from the U.S.
I recall reading Nissan Tn has exported at times to the Asian markets..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 11:00 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,073,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Link please.

And what kind of plants? Will those plants make products for China?

BTW...Should the Japanese, Koreans and Germans remove their U.S. plants?

The only problem i'd have is if they close a U.S. plant and reopen it in China.

Oh, and BTW...HELL YEA i'm glad that we bailed them out. Absolutely.
It is utter delusion to asserte that anybody bailed GM out. We bailed out the UAW. GM would have survived intact. It "may" have had to reorganize under the protection of Bankruptcy, but that is what BK is for.

The bailout was just a payofff to UAW.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:01 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
I don't by GM or American made cars. Your Buick is made in Mexico and my Subaru is made in Ill, and I have a lot less trouble with it.
Maybe it's the COMPANY rather than the location of the plant. BMW and Mercedes are having quite a bit of success with American made vehicles.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:02 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Bascially most objected to the special terms forced on bonholders i their bankrupsy.They should have gone thru normal n bankrupsy .

Old 04-22-2013, 11:04 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,245,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
....in China. Are we glad that we bailed them out?
Years ago, GM, Ford and Chrysler built plants in Canada and Mexico too. Were you angry about that too?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:08 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Look at the Progs defending outsourcing when it is done under the Obama admin. The truth is, THIS IS WHAT PROGS WANT! That entire social justice thing was a lie, atleast here at home it is. When the administration speaks of social justice, they mean in the WORLD! They WANT to send out money to other countries in an attempt to "level the playing field" and Obama supporters are all for it, even if it makes us a poorer nation, then they complain about it and blame the R's.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:10 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,232,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Link please.

And what kind of plants? Will those plants make products for China?

BTW...Should the Japanese, Koreans and Germans remove their U.S. plants?

The only problem i'd have is if they close a U.S. plant and reopen it in China.

Oh, and BTW...HELL YEA i'm glad that we bailed them out. Absolutely.

Does this mean GM will finally pay us back the balance of the 50 billion the got with the bailout? Just curious...

Old 04-22-2013, 11:12 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Government should NEVER bail out a business. NEVER!!!!!
Generally, i'd agree.

However, Japan won't let Toyota fail. They'd never let Honda fail. Hell, they'd never let any of their huge manufacturers fail.

Ditto Germany or France...or S. Korea. You think they'd let Hyundai fail? Hell no.

So long as our competitors will save their auto manufacturers, we should save ours. Hell, we're already paying for the defense of those nations as it is. No wonder they can afford to subsidize their corporations.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:18 AM

73,042 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Strings should have been placed on the American taxpayer bailout, namely to keep the jobs here. Oabam has run his mouth about doing something about the outsourcing, but so far it's just talk (nothing new).

The government forced the Japanese automakers to build cars here, so why not domestic companies?

The reason is that the American CEOs would not be able to pay themselves the outrageous sums they do if they couldn't justify it, and what better way than outsource labor costs to 3rd world countries?

Ratio of CEO Pay to Average Worker by Country

Average pay of Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) to average worker:
I look at this as a catch 22. If we had not bailed the automobile companies out, unemployment rates would have gone up into the 30% range. The bailout kept the unemployment rates from skyrocketing to record levels. I will give that a little credit. However, when we did bail the companies out, they aren't producing many jobs for Americans, if at all.

And the chart showing the worker/CEO pay gap tells me this: there is so much greed in this nation. So many people talk about how it's expensive to create jobs in this nation, but few people ever consider that CEO's get paid over 400 times more than the average work.

The fact is, the only thing many people care about is money, period. The bailout didn't solve that problem. There should have been conditions on the bailout. That being said, I doubt many companies would have taken the bailout under those conditions. We are in an era where companies are looking for a cheap workforce, at least many companies are. As far as alot of companies consider it, it isn't about the worker, it's about the bottom line. It is about the money.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:23 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Strings should have been placed on the American taxpayer bailout, namely to keep the jobs here. Obama has run his mouth about doing something about the outsourcing, but so far it's just talk (nothing new).

The government forced the Japanese automakers to build cars here, so why not domestic companies?

The reason is that the American CEOs would not be able to pay themselves the outrageous sums they do if they couldn't justify it, and what better way than outsource labor costs to 3rd world countries?

Ratio of CEO Pay to Average Worker by Country

Average pay of Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) to average worker:
The ratio in 1980 was about 30:1 .... Say, what started happening to the US Middle Class in the 1980s?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies