Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 02:54 PM

382 posts, read 588,536 times

Advertisements

How do you say that gay marriage is a slippery slope to polygamy. In your bible King David was a polygamist. I know many will say that, but that was the OT. Well then rip it out of your bible and throw it away. Don't quote from it at all. This is one big problem with Christians, they pick what they want throw out what they do not.

If you want to use one you have to use the other, quit throwing out the OT when it does not suit you and quoting it when it does. Your going to lose this one big time. Its a wast of time fighting it.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:20 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
I'm for polygamy. It's unfair to redefine marriage for one alternative lifestyle but not another. Historically speaking polygamy is far more common than same sex marriage.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:47 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
I never said polygamy. What I say will happen next, after the radical homosexuals have jammed their lifestyle down the rest of our throats in every way possible (no pun intended) is that there will be a cry to lower the age of consent. Let's make it 10 for instance. After all young people are more mature now and have a right to make their own sexual choices, right. Groups like NAMBLA would love to see this and once they see the homosexuals get full accredited they'll be pushing for their own agenda even more so. Even if this doesn't happen though, it is NOT going to make the radical homosexual agenda more palatable to me.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:48 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Marriage equality means equality. If gender is immaterial in the definition of marriage then numbers or prior relationships are too. To say otherwise is not supporting marriage equality, it is supporting marriage for just one select group.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:08 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
You aren't arguing that allowing polygamy would be bad are you? If not, why even care?

Old 04-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutnfancy View Post
How do you say that gay marriage is a slippery slope to polygamy. In your bible King David was a polygamist. I know many will say that, but that was the OT. Well then rip it out of your bible and throw it away. Don't quote from it at all. This is one big problem with Christians, they pick what they want throw out what they do not.

If you want to use one you have to use the other, quit throwing out the OT when it does not suit you and quoting it when it does. Your going to lose this one big time. Its a wast of time fighting it.
So you're cool with polygamy?

Old 04-29-2013, 04:12 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
I never said polygamy. What I say will happen next, after the radical homosexuals have jammed their lifestyle down the rest of our throats in every way possible (no pun intended) is that there will be a cry to lower the age of consent. Let's make it 10 for instance. After all young people are more mature now and have a right to make their own sexual choices, right. Groups like NAMBLA would love to see this and once they see the homosexuals get full accredited they'll be pushing for their own agenda even more so. Even if this doesn't happen though, it is NOT going to make the radical homosexual agenda more palatable to me.
Here we have it ladies and gentlemen...another person worried about Homosexuals shoving their lifestyles down his throat...

Old 04-29-2013, 04:12 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Marriage is a legal contract that establishes joint ownership of property (depending on state) and survivor benefits. If you want to make a religious deal out of it, have a huge ceremony at a church. Or not. Your choice.

The concept of a marriage being a sacred institution has long been destroyed by no-fault divorces, 24-hour Las Vegas wedding chapels, and celebrity marriages lasting only a matter of weeks.

Who cares if that contract is between a man and a woman, a man and a man, a woman and a woman, a man and many women (polygyny), or a woman and many men (polyandry)? For what it's worth, other than Social Security and retirement survivor benefits, any two people or even a group of people can already hire a lawyer and fill out all the paperwork required to accomplish everything a marriage would accomplish, they just can't call it a marriage.

As for 10-year-old children getting married, that's just moronic. Ten-year-olds cannot enter into legal contracts, but thanks for contributing to the conversation. And before someone lowers the group intelligence by arguing, "What's to stop someone from marrying a horse, or a cucumber?", neither horses nor cucumbers can sign legal contracts either.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:16 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I'm for polygamy. It's unfair to redefine marriage for one alternative lifestyle but not another. Historically speaking polygamy is far more common than same sex marriage.
Historical polygamy was embedded in social function, and such function is lacking in our society; nevertheless, I don't really care if anybody is polygamous, polyandrous, or whatever. Honestly, who cares?

Old 04-29-2013, 04:16 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
If you don't see the difference between SSM and Child Rape, then you should be on a list somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies