Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:30 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,207,411 times

Advertisements

I wonder when humans will figure out that their war are useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

138 posts, read 155,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Why would it be lost? You can raise children with a multicultural heritage, celebrating ALL aspects of their backgrounds. Ask any American of their heritage, and you'll almost always get an answer like "I'm Irish, Italian, French, with both Jewish and Catholic beliefs on either side" - or something along those lines. Are those individual identities lost, simply because they are shared with others? I don't think so.

My niece & nephew have a Slavic-Jewish mother, and an Irish/English-"Christian" father... they know what they are, celebrate a variety of holidays and traditions, and visually look like a little of each. They don't seem to have a problem with that, and certainly haven't lost either of their cultural sides.
You seem to be very open minded. That is good Gizmo.

15,088 posts, read 13,476,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose532 View Post
In my country, ethnic background is very important, because traditions and family lineage is valued.
In my country, personal freedom is very important, because everyone should have basic rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That includes who you choose to love.

Maintaining tradition and culture is fine, but we think it should not be a static thing. The whole story of the human race is an evolution of culture and traditions. Trying to keep things stagnant results in a lot of intolerance and subjugation of many people by a zealous few. A perfect example of this is what you see in many countries of the Middle East, where many people live under religious dictatorship and women especially are heavily subjugated by men.

I would rather live free than be threatened for the basic choices I choose to make as an adult, which hurt no one else.

1,755 posts, read 3,002,369 times
I think you're trying to ignite something that need not be ignited. If it's not something you want, don't do it. No need to be bitter about it.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,281,003 times
It's because we are moving towards a Type 1 society in which we have one planetary system and one culture for the human race. Once we reach that, cultural differences will no longer matter as everybody will be a little bit of everything. Some futurists think we'll be there by 2100. I think it will take a bit longer than that, but it will happen as long as humanity doesn't plunge itself into another dark age.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:33 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,928,643 times
Quote:
Am I off base, I have heard some Americans on forums say they prefer to remain pure. I have heard this from Whites, Blacks and Asians.
I am actually just as white as I was before marrying a person of color.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:33 PM

38,111 posts, read 22,253,980 times
Quote:
Is it not better to just marry people that are from your race and background? I don't understand.
Who cares? People are people.

You just cannot control who you fall in love with, unless you go out of your way to exclude personal contact with people you think are not of your race. Even then you can not tell that some people are mixed race. Or are we just talking about obvious skin color differences?

Old 04-30-2013, 07:35 PM

1,755 posts, read 3,002,369 times
But it's viewed as "progress" because there was a time (that based on your states still exist) where people didn't mix for the same reasons you described. So to see people mixing it up is seen as people moving forward to interacting with one another and coming to the realization that we are the same people, that bleed the same color blood underneath it all.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:36 PM

138 posts, read 155,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
I think you're trying to ignite something that need not be ignited. If it's not something you want, don't do it. No need to be bitter about it.
I am sorry I was just trying to learn more about this. I hear people speak positively about racial mixing in the U.S. and I am confused because everyone in my country wants to maintain culture and tradition. You can not do this by marrying another ethnicity, culture and religion. These are just my views, I mean no harm.

I was confused because the girl is from a traditional family. I assume she is Muslim Sudanese, although she could be Christian, because she is dressed like a Western woman. I just can't see her family condoning intermarriage and definitely not marriage to a non Muslim man.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:38 PM

5,637 posts, read 6,529,410 times
Quote:
Am I off base, I have heard some Americans on forums say they prefer to remain pure. I have heard this from Whites, Blacks and Asians.
I'm Asian and so if my wife, but we're not the same flavor. I'm Japanese and my wife is Chinese/Filipino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies