Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How should U.S. citizens be taxed?
Flat percentage rate 20 27.78%
Income based percentage brackets 20 27.78%
Spending based 18 25.00%
A combination of these methods 8 11.11%
Other 6 8.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:20 PM

788 posts, read 2,110,408 times

Advertisements

I was just listening to a forum put on by the BBC World Radio on NPR, which included panel members from Arizona, where I live. Some of the questions asked were:

1. Should there be a flat tax rate?
2. Are we helping the poor too much?
3. Should taxation be related to spending? (spend more=pay more taxes)

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 12:31 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,582,560 times
I'm for spending based - The Fair Tax.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:34 PM

788 posts, read 2,110,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I'm for spending based - The Fair Tax.
I agree. That makes the most sense to me too. If people want to pay fewer taxes, they would buy less, use fewer services. But then, would there have to be taxes on public works, like freeways in the form of tolls?

Old 10-31-2007, 12:49 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,050,843 times
I'm not sure a spending tax would suffice to pay the country's bills unless the tax was jacked so high that it really hurt the poor.

Here's my thinking, a rich person, say Bill Gates has most of his money in business and I would imagine a big chunk in savings. Currently, he pays taxes on the things he's creating (business') and he also pays taxes on a percentage of what he makes in savings.

Spending tax starts. He no longer pays taxes on the money he has in savings. But he's still paying on the business aspect. So his first choice is to pull money out of the business' and put it into savings. He will save "Millions". The same Millions that the country can't use to pay it's bills.

And. the working poor are going to be paying more then what they are now. Making the situation much worse then what it is.

I think, the tax structure we have right now isn't too bad. We can make it work if we smooth out the ruffles a little.

And by the way. We are not helping the poor too much. We are, however, helping the deadbeats too much.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:07 PM

With a spending tax, it's really only on consumer goods, not necessities. The poor do not spend that much on consumer goods and would therefore not be taxed very much if at all. They could also decide if they wanted to spend and incur the tax instead of having it imposed on them. Gates would pay on things that he buys which would be a significant amount. This would include homes, boats, cars etc. These items are now used to deduct from what he pays. Tourists, illegal aliens etc. would all pay.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:09 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,945 times
No income tax.

Ron paul way.

The constitutional way.

The only way.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
With a spending tax, it's really only on consumer goods, not necessities. The poor do not spend that much on consumer goods and would therefore not be taxed very much if at all. They could also decide if they wanted to spend and incur the tax instead of having it imposed on them. Gates would pay on things that he buys which would be a significant amount. This would include homes, boats, cars etc. These items are now used to deduct from what he pays. Tourists, illegal aliens etc. would all pay.
The only thing that isn't taxed around here is grocery's. But in some places, you pay sales tax on that also.

But your probably right. I don't know any poor people that have TV's, VCR's, Cars, kids toys, clothes, washer's and dryers, furniture, bedding, dishes, garden tools, bikes, shoes, school supplies, curtains, silverware, plates, etc...

Old 10-31-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
The only thing that isn't taxed around here is grocery's. But in some places, you pay sales tax on that also.

But your probably right. I don't know any poor people that have TV's, VCR's, Cars, kids toys, clothes, washer's and dryers, furniture, bedding, dishes, garden tools, bikes, shoes, school supplies, curtains, silverware, plates, etc...
The Fair Tax accounts for items that are necessary and gives a rebate on those. If poor people decide to buy tv's and vcr's then they make the decision to pay the tax on it.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:29 PM

Well, I almost agree, however. haha

What I'm saying is that poor people can currently, squeak by and have some luxury's. TV, VCR or DVD player. Garden tools, shoes and such, are not a luxury.

But right now, they can get some. With a consumer tax, we're even going to take that away from them. Or, at least make it harder yet for them.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:32 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
I was just listening to a forum put on by the BBC World Radio on NPR, which included panel members from Arizona, where I live. Some of the questions asked were:

1. Should there be a flat tax rate?
2. Are we helping the poor too much?
3. Should taxation be related to spending? (spend more=pay more taxes)

What do you think?
FairTax.org!!!

Eliminate income taxes as much as possible, specially for people making under $500,000/year. That wouldn't cripple the economy and would free up some real cash.

I don't make that much (legal staff worker) and I feel OVERWHELMED by taxes. Ihatetaxes.com --> not a real website, but I should make one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies