Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

If you live in Lincoln park the gun murder rate (not total death rate) is just 1 in 100,000
If you live in Austin about 4 miles away the rate is 1 in 2500.
The distance between the Zoo and say the former Austin High school ( Lotus and Pine) is about 14 miles. Nonetheless, the differences between these two neighborhoods is enormous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 11:44 AM

57,291 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Sure thing princess. I'm glad you see the weird correlation from Texas traffic death numbers to Afghanistan deaths or Chicago deaths...it's about as correlated as the OP's post. But since you want to spin, here's numbers from roughly the same time as that 2012 article from the original link.

Traffic deaths on the rise in 2012 - Chicago Tribune

599 deaths. So driving in traffic in Chicago is also more dangerous on just face numbers than in Afghanistan...but it's really not. Have fun exploding over that one.
Good! you now see that the discussion is the mortality rate of Chicago relative to Afghanistan, we are making real progress, now do you also understand that the discussion is on death rate by muder/killing, not traffic fatalities.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:57 AM

252 posts, read 264,097 times
Also, US troops are not the only people dying in Afghanistan. Practically all those that are killed in Chicago are Chicagoans killing Chicagoans. So, this is not an apples to apples.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:58 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
This is precisely why statistics like this are normalized with incidents per capita.

The Bronx has more accidents than all of Wyoming or Alaska. That doesn't mean the Bronx is more dangerous. It just means it has more people who can get into accidents.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:58 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The distance between the Zoo and say the former Austin High school ( Lotus and Pine) is about 14 miles. Nonetheless, the differences between these two neighborhoods is enormous.
Google

5.2 miles from 1600 n. sheffield to 1600 n. cicero so you can get from lincoln park to austin in probably just under 5 miles.

It's a straight shot down north avenue from Lincoln Park to Austin.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:08 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
More Americans Killed In Chicago Than In Afghanistan

Such a safe place the home of Obama is...
Nine out of ten radical Islamists {terra-ists} agree those grey things in the sky coming at them is hazardous to their health.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Google

5.2 miles from 1600 n. sheffield to 1600 n. cicero so you can get from lincoln park to austin in probably just under 5 miles.

It's a straight shot down north avenue from Lincoln Park to Austin.
I can make that in 5 minutes driving the bluesmobile on Lake Street.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHa_jqxnn4o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIdGxR-aU6o

Old 05-03-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Well since being killed is a final event, and you dont get to come back to life the follow year to retake your chances, then it would make total sense to compute the total "chance" of being killed by amortizing it over someones life and not pretend 1 year is a total reflection of the chance someone would be killed if they live there 60 years. correct? Knowing this doesnt equate one to doing crack.
Since the attempt is to make a risk comparison you need to match the exposure base.

Therefore, you need to compare a year in Chicago to a year in Afghanistan.

Let me put it another way,

The red car traveled 100 miles. The blue car traveled 300 miles.

Which car went faster?

Or what if I claimed that Toyota Corrollas are more dangerous than Model T's because wayyyyy more people die in Corrollas each year than in Model T's.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
This is precisely why statistics like this are normalized with incidents per capita.

The Bronx has more accidents than all of Wyoming or Alaska. That doesn't mean the Bronx is more dangerous. It just means it has more people who can get into accidents.
Yep. This is a really funny thread.

I should continue the statistical abuse by starting one about how Grizzly Bears are racist due to the fact that they maul white people at a vastly higher rate than blacks.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I can make that in 5 minutes driving the bluesmobile on Lake Street.
I'm on a mission from god.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:16 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
More Americans Killed In Chicago Than In Afghanistan

Such a safe place the home of Obama is...
I guess it's a miracle I'm still alive. Nice try but there are 3 million people in Chicago and only a hundred and so thousand Americans in Afghanistan. Plus the murders in Chicago are concentrated in only a handful of areas. Unfortunately if you live in those areas then you really better be careful. I suppose you are trying to tie Obama to everything bad in Chicago...way to keep prejudice alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies