U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2013, 10:44 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
19,868 posts, read 22,727,547 times
Reputation: 7167

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and so far we have been lucky Ken..


but the obozo liar in charge in the whitehouse is about to send us into another depression....


hmmm
Get back to us when you ever have a record or actually being RIGHT about something.


Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2013, 08:34 AM
 
Location: San Diego
5,319 posts, read 7,838,290 times
Reputation: 3376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I don't recall Carter or Obama being the president in 2008.
Sorry ... but George W. Bush holds the record as the worst president in recent history!

The numbers on the below website speak for themselves!

19% approval?

Presidential Approval Rating Highs and Lows
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 08:44 AM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
19,868 posts, read 22,727,547 times
Reputation: 7167
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Sorry ... but George W. Bush holds the record as the worst president in recent history!

The numbers on the below website speak for themselves!

19% approval?

Presidential Approval Rating Highs and Lows
Yup.
And in fact Obama's LOWEST approval rating is the best "low point" approval rating of ANY President in the last half century (ie since JFK) - so clearly Fleet doesn't speak for the American People (as if we didn't already know that).

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 09:05 AM
 
Location: San Diego
5,319 posts, read 7,838,290 times
Reputation: 3376
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
it was the spike in gas prices that caused the collapse of the economy. and the gas price spike was caused by manipulation in the oil commodities markets.
Here is a detailed history of gas prices in 2008:

2008 U.S. Gas Price Year in Review : TreeHugger

To state that the economy collapsed because of the spike in gas prices during the summer of 2008, you then have to explain how gas prices reached similar levels to the 2008 high in recent years, and yet our economy continued to grow.

Our economy collapsed in 2008 when the housing market collapsed, which was followed by massive layoffs, massive foreclosures, banks and mortgage companies going out of business.

The Roots of the 2008 Economic Collapse | Hoover Institution

Quote:
One point that almost all informed observers agree on is that the financial crisis started in the housing market and that the crash in housing prices caused a more-general banking and financial crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Fort Myers Fl
2,305 posts, read 2,692,333 times
Reputation: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Let us be real here and understand what is good for Wall Street is not always good for the working man. Yes, I am glad my 401K is up. I cannot find any reason to believe anything done in Washington is the reason for it. Would someone tell me what specific Obama policies has led to the stock market rise.
I can tell you what Obama did to get the market to rise. He let Bernanke keep doing what he is doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Minnesota
5,147 posts, read 6,319,329 times
Reputation: 1561
15,000 doesnt mean that much when the dollars are funny money. The Fed is doing what the Weimar govenrment did in the 1920s. It is making our external debt worth less and less in comparable worth terms. Chinese industry made our trade deficit permanent. Now the Fed is daring them to start raising the price of what they sell. So far, the Chinese is treating dollars like beer in a no limit chug session. Meanwhile, the rich are watching their nomimal wealth go up, but in dollars that are worth a fraction of what they were worth when that wealth was stol....oops, I meant to say accumulated. Almost slipped and said what I believed. Must be more careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 09:18 AM
 
2,122 posts, read 1,563,834 times
Reputation: 1117
Here's the way I see it:

I've done what I can to understand how this economy works and in relation to the global economy as a whole, and try to include as many factors as I can.

I'm no financial science or econ major, but I get it - for the most part. However, it's becomming increasingly clear that not only is this entire game rigged, but the basic, principled laws of mathematics do not apply in our system, for a number of reasons.

So, I quit. I will continue to plan for armageddon, but continue to live day-to-day life as is our best days are ahead. It's frustrating as hell that our financial futures are put into the hands of bankers who create the most outlandish algorithms to create wealth, which seemingly comes from nowhere, but the days of fixing or changing the system were left behind in the 30's, with the new federal reserve system.

My dinner wil taste just as good tonight as it did last night, but if something happens, I've planned ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Status: ""a mind that understands science"" (set 9 days ago)
 
18,820 posts, read 12,127,603 times
Reputation: 10250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Get back to us when you ever have a record or actually being RIGHT about something.


Ken
Well Ken-

Gotta hand it to you. I sold out of this rally at Dow 10,500 and was wrong about the "legs" this market has shown. I put my money into more ag investments, which have done pretty well, but I really thought that the market would run out of steam before this. You, as a bull, were right.

No man can predict the future. But when you are wrong, say so.

Along those lines, no one knows how much further this market can go. I, for one, am just not very comfortable with the rise of the market, when it is not supported by similar rises in the GDP and when we have the Fed pumping money into the economy. Who knows- it could go on much further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 09:33 AM
 
996 posts, read 1,386,775 times
Reputation: 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Here is a detailed history of gas prices in 2008:

2008 U.S. Gas Price Year in Review : TreeHugger

To state that the economy collapsed because of the spike in gas prices during the summer of 2008, you then have to explain how gas prices reached similar levels to the 2008 high in recent years, and yet our economy continued to grow.

Our economy collapsed in 2008 when the housing market collapsed, which was followed by massive layoffs, massive foreclosures, banks and mortgage companies going out of business.

The Roots of the 2008 Economic Collapse | Hoover Institution
Because it wasn't gas prices. It was oil prices that triggered the shockwave that collapsed the markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 10:50 AM
 
Location: San Diego
5,319 posts, read 7,838,290 times
Reputation: 3376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
Because it wasn't gas prices. It was oil prices that triggered the shockwave that collapsed the markets.
High oil prices during the Summer of 2008 contributed to the panic, but it was the housing market bubble bursting, and the failure of Bear Sterns followed by Lehman Brothers followed by more and more bank failures which caused the stock market to collapse in the Fall of 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:51 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top