Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 01:59 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
5. Always make sure your gun stays out of the hands of persons not trained and qualified to use it.
That's a good one. It actually covers one of a gun owner's responsibilities to society in general. Good answer IMO. Thanks

Old 05-08-2013, 01:59 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
for those of you who need an example of an irresponsible gun owner, I offer the following:

Fla. boy, 3, fatally shoots self with uncle's gun | US National Headlines | Comcast

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a 3-year-old Florida boy has died after shooting himself with a gun he found in his uncle's backpack.

The shooting happened Tuesday night in a bedroom Jadarrius Speights shared with his uncle at an apartment complex in Tampa. Authorities say the uncle, 29-year-old Jeffrey D. Walker, has been charged with culpable negligence.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:02 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I agree and adhere to the golden rule. But......what responsibilities do gun owners have to the general society? It seems no one has a clue or just doesn't want to address the fact that owning and carrying around a loaded weapon carries great responsibilities of the owner towards society in general.

I was afraid that the answers from gun owners would be to avoid claiming any responsibility to society and claim the only responsibility is to the physical function of their weapon.
Please somebody from the gun advocates prove me wrong.
Gun owners have the same responsibilities towards society in general, as non-gun owners. Perhaps that's the confusion.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:03 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Hey mohawkx , Some of these guys take offense at anything other than totally agreeing with them. They are great examples of what will actually bring more gun control.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
As I thought. You lied about the basic premise you used to accuse gun owners of being irresponsible.

Yet gun owners here have treated you far better than you tried to treat them.

Go play on a freeway.
I have lied about nothing. I have not accused all gun owners of being irresponsible. I have accused some gun owners of being irresponsible with a very cavalier attitude towards gun ownership. I've met them in person. Every now and then we get a rabid gun rights activist who comes to our local 2nd amendment committee meeting to demand that we petition the state legislature to rescind all gun laws on the books in Arizona. They will accept nothing less than unlimited, unrestricted gun ownership for all citizens with no restrictions on who,what or where.
Meanwhile we managed to get our agenda passed and signed by Gov. Brewer allowing concealed carry in Az. without a permit. We got passed a provision allowing firearms in establishments that sell liquor.
So don't tell me to go play on the freeway, little corn, keep it civil.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:21 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
I agree and adhere to the golden rule. But......what responsibilities do gun owners have to the general society? It seems no one has a clue or just doesn't want to address the fact that owning and carrying around a loaded weapon carries great responsibilities of the owner towards society in general.

I was afraid that the answers from gun owners would be to avoid claiming any responsibility to society and claim the only responsibility is to the physical function of their weapon.

Please! Somebody from the gun advocates prove me wrong.

The "responsibilities to society" would largely be covered by the four rules. Specifically with regards to safe handling such that a round isn't fired into someone else's house or appartment within a neighborhood. I'd also say that responsible gun ownership includes proper education of any children in the residence (or other adults for that matter) into the damage firearms can do when used improperly and to ensure that they are not used or handled without proper adult supervision.

Really, it's no difference than with a car. You teach your kids that cars are dangerous and not to play in traffic, and ensure that they know that they are not to take your keys without permission and go joyriding.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Gun owners have the same responsibilities towards society in general, as non-gun owners. Perhaps that's the confusion.
Respectfully, I would disagree with that statement. I have many firearms and have been a collector for 35 years. I also have a CCW permit that was issued by the Arizona State Police, commonly known as DPS.
Gun owners have a greater responsibility to society than the rest of the citizenry,IMO. Why would a person applying for a permit to carry concealed in public have to go through 16 hours of classroom work and 8 hours of range time? These are things no ordinary citizen must go through.
It is becoming more apparent as this thread goes on that gun rights advocates don't feel any special obligation or responsibility to the general society for carrying around a loaded weapon. All I'm getting is deflection, personal attacks and "Same as any other citizen."

Old 05-08-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The "responsibilities to society" would largely be covered by the four rules. Specifically with regards to safe handling such that a round isn't fired into someone else's house or appartment within a neighborhood. I'd also say that responsible gun ownership includes proper education of any children in the residence (or other adults for that matter) into the damage firearms can do when used improperly and to ensure that they are not used or handled without proper adult supervision.

Really, it's no difference than with a car. You teach your kids that cars are dangerous and not to play in traffic, and ensure that they know that they are not to take your keys without permission and go joyriding.

I agree training and education is a very important responsibility for any gun owner. This is what I'm talking about.
Also, with a car, licensing is a requirement so that society knows a driver has been trained in the proper handling, safety rules, rules of the road and consequences of improper use. Insurance is also a required mandate.

Wouldn't the same criteria apply to gun ownership?

Last edited by mohawkx; 05-08-2013 at 02:36 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 02:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
What responsibilities do you consider the gun owner's collectively have to society as a whole?
Isn;t this common sense? When you say someone is a responsible driver do you need an explanation?

Old 05-08-2013, 02:43 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times
Quote:
Thanks for posting in my thread, Litte-Acorn. Simple question. What responsibilities do you consider the gun owner's collectively have to society as a whole? Gun rights advocates always talk about responsible gun ownership. Well, what's you definition of responsible gun ownership as applied to society? I can't be more clear or direct than that. No deflection necessary, sir.

NONE. They owe society NOTHING more than anyone else. Owning a firearm, having the ability to defend yourself is a GOD given right. If YOU and others want to demand some kind of responsibility to society, make your demands directly to GOD.

It is ILLEGAL to use firearms in an ILLEGAL manner, including killing another human unless in self defense or the defense of another human life. Nothing more should be asked, and the law already favors this position.

You should have no say whatsoever in whether another person's firearm is locked in a safe, has a trigger lock or is even properly cleaned. It is NONE of you business.

I sincerely hate statists, and you appear to be one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies