Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 08:07 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times

Advertisements

I can't believe almost 40 percent of Americans have smoked weed.

The high rate of drug addiction in the USA, and I include many to most pot smokers in that classification, is cause of so much crime and violence in the USA, and in our part of the world. Shameful, selfish behavior on the part of most of them.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:15 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

The high rate of drug addiction in the USA, and I include many to most pot smokers in that classification, is cause of so much crime and violence in the USA, and in our part of the world. Shameful, selfish behavior on the part of most of them.
Wow, just wow! Don't take too much offense, but you are talking straight out of your a$$.

Do you think that maybe the Multi-Billion dollar underground drug trade that employs only criminals may be responsible for so much of the crime and violence? Anyone in law enforcement will be glad to explain it to you. Users are responsible for petty theft/crime but the violent crime is because we have allowed a ginormous illegal industry to develop across the World where stakes are high and profits higher.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:15 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
The US can't be number 1 at everything or can they ?! I am sure with a little effort and participation from everyone this appalling slip can be remedied and those cheeky Cannucks beaten at their own game.... a little dedication is all that is required. USA ! USA! USA!

I agree with your comment about other "mood enhancing" drugs like booze though I don't think most people take coffee with the sole intent of getting "high". Booze is certainly far more dangerous than cannabis for people who drink to excess and causes far more deaths and social problems. Same with tobacco. I suspect tobacco would be deemed unsafe and made illegal if it came to to market as a new product these days.

I'm afraid I will still never see the appeal of any drugs soft or hard. I find it hard enough to take prescription drugs for medical conditions as it is, that alone makes me feel rather dependent and not in control. My biggest drug which gives me the most adrenalin and biggest high is travel. A true addiction if there ever was one and the withdrawal symptoms aren't pretty ! Give me a plane ticket, a healthy body and the freedom to move around and that is my craving satisfied. Until the next fix anyway.

I do agree that drugs law can often be counter -productive and are quite often also very self contradicting in many ways. I have no idea whether decriminalisation is the right way forward but it might be worth a shot as it seems to have worked in some countries.

I do wonder whether cannabis would lose some of its appeal at least to the younger generation if sick and disabled people were prescribed cannabis in pill form for severe conditions like arthritis, or MS. It is shocking in a way that we already have drugs with cocaine ( and other severely dangerous substances) in it but cannabis has been singled out as being the one to avoid. Rather bizarre.

I would use it in pill form if it did not get me stoned. I have no interest in getting high or feeling stoned which really puts me off it even though I could use it for medical reasons.

Personally as long as nobody gets hurt then I don't care what people do with their bodies. If society has to pick up the pieces then it is an issue. With weed it seems to depend on strength and the type used. I am not an expert so will leave it to those to decide what is considered acceptable and what is not. Based on facts and science rather than my own prejudices.

Still do not get the appeal though.
Of course you don't get the appeal, you've never done any sort of drug.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:20 AM

945 posts, read 968,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Coming from a former police officer such as yourself, that's huge! And to you sir, I say.... I'll bet given your stance towards cannabis, you probably had a hard time busting someone when you caught them with a baggy. I know there are cops out there who believe it should be legalized. Were I an officer, I'd have a real hard time enforcing the laws regarding cannabis.

A police officer is suppose to enforce law. The police officer only enforces local/state/federal laws that he is told to. Since we have probably 1000s of laws that are directly in conflict with the Constitution the police officer has the ability to use common sense and not stand united with the other police-state oriented employees of this nation whenever possible, however they choose not to.

Unfortunately 99.99% will literally do whatever they are told to do. They will not think about it, its ethics, impact of consequences or whether it is truly lawful. It is the means justify the ends, or 'oops' after we make a mistake and drag your through the legal system.

Police are usually lauded for their heroic duties, as it supposedly such a tough job. It actually isn't very tough at all, and the vast majority of them are never in danger more than the average citizen.

Coming from a police officer, it means nothing to me. Speaking to cop about law and principles is typically like speaking to a homeless man about how to invest my retirement and plan for the future.

Coming from the majority of doctors and scientists, showing pot is less dangerous than booze or cigarettes is 'huge' because it actually has merit.

Ask a police officer if they have a hard time busting someone with crack rocks or heroin in their pockets. They will swiftly give you a felony charge and never think they did anything wrong.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:24 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Wow, just wow! Don't take too much offense, but you are talking straight out of your a$$.

Do you think that maybe the Multi-Billion dollar underground drug trade that employs only criminals may be responsible for so much of the crime and violence? Anyone in law enforcement will be glad to explain it to you. Users are responsible for petty theft/crime but the violent crime is because we have allowed a ginormous illegal industry to develop across the World where stakes are high and profits higher.

It's funny how cannabis is the largest cash crop in the US, yet it is illegal! There is so much wrong with that.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:25 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Coming from a former police officer such as yourself, that's huge! And to you sir, I say.... I'll bet given your stance towards cannabis, you probably had a hard time busting someone when you caught them with a baggy. I know there are cops out there who believe it should be legalized. Were I an officer, I'd have a real hard time enforcing the laws regarding cannabis.
A lot of cops let the small holders walk. As long as people aren't DWI.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:26 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Karma's a biotch, dude. You might want to remember that before you go off on cancer patients.

MJ is no more harmful than liquor or cigarettes.

Cigarettes and Booze certainly kill a lot more users and produce a lot more health related issues. I can't imagine either getting commercial licenses these days if they had just come on the market with all we know now. Just as well booze is a universal thing and tobacco historically established itself before health and safety policies came to exist ....

My main issue with drugs is what the effect is on society in terms of crime and what it does to the local communities and environments of the countries who produce it. And that to a great degree is often due to criminalisation. I really have no idea what the solution is but having been to Columbia , Jamaica, Mexico etc... and seen how our mostly Western consumption of drugs affects people in third world and developing countries I really think we have to do something.

If idiots want to kill themselves injecting with heroin I could not care less. It is their body, their right to do as they choose.

However when that heroin/cocaine/whatever fuels organised crime, sex and human trafficking, environmental destruction, violence and poverty and causes so many deaths however then it becomes a selfish and rather pathetic act of wanton self destruction though and mindlessness.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:27 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Ask a police officer if they have a hard time busting someone with crack rocks or heroin in their pockets. They will swiftly give you a felony charge and never think they did anything wrong.
Apples and oranges, my friend.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

So someone gets beat up or their best friend gets beat up and they snort a line everyday because of that?

Profound logic as always. *golfclap*

Old 05-09-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Apples and oranges, my friend.

How is it apples and oranges? Merely because they have different names and composition?

They are apples to apples because they are both intoxicants, that are illegal and used by an individual to get high.

I can't wait for this brilliant response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies