Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Little people like myself do just fine, we prove our value and we demand a reasonable wage for what we do. I've never once had a problem negotiating for myself, I don't need to resort to union extortion to prove I'm a valuable member of any work team.
May i ask, where do you work and what is your specialty ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 10:50 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeekerBot View Post
I'm a conservative myself, but I don't see why? of course some unions are pointless but others are needed, it made dangerous working conditions much better for their workers, the entire reason we have a "weekend" is because of unions. This anti union rhetoric is the entire reason we are losing voters, I know most union workers are conservative value wise.
Why do democrats bend over for unions?

Old 05-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
But it's still perfectly legal and ok to require a person to pay dues to that union they chose not to join right?
Closed Shops were outlawed in 1947. just saying.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:53 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wait, we went from I'm an idiot because you said something was wrong, to now, maybe it happens. Why dont we progress to the REAL truth because even NY is a forced union state.

Once again, grey states are forced union states.

If you want to work at a company where a union exists, you HAVE to join the union.. You can stand there and call everyone names, but if you're wrong, you do nothing but embarass yourself, especially consdiering this is true in mostly blue states, not red.
But how many times do you have to be told that it is against federal law to be required to become a union member as a requirement toward obtaining a job? This is a fact that you can't possibly prove as wrong.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:53 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
May i ask, where do you work and what is your specialty ?
No thanks, I'd rather not due to the amount of union thuggery running around.

I'm an engineer and I work in the United States. A fair amount of the work I do involves projects that are dominated by union labor, hence my disdain for the corruption and inefficiency of today's big labor.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:54 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
Quote:
People hire unions because they have no other choice, that's the only truth to the matter. You either hire union labor or you deal with death threats, physical violence and vandalism by the brainless union trash that knows nothing but what their union bosses tell them.
You are completely WRONG and I will give you a good example that proves it.

First of all let's establish something. Walmart, Pro or anti union? LOL It's totally a no brainer question since Walmart will fight unions to the death rather than see their workers organized. So anyway, here in Ontario Walmart builds a lot of stores. We have many non union builders here and they are out there working all of the time. Do you sppose the non union guys are building Walmart stores? Not on your life do they. They don't even get the chance to bid on the Walmart jobs. That is because Walmart knows all the good builders are union, can meet a deadline, have a high degree of SAFETY, have fully qualified tradesmen and all in all just are better all around than the non union guys.

Your claims about the union thuggery might be valid in a less civilized country like the USA but not here in Canada. We have union and non union firms pretty much right across the board here. Some owners even own one of each.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Closed Shops were outlawed in 1947. just saying.
Oh really, Then why are you and other Democrats so much against right to work legislation?

Old 05-11-2013, 10:55 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
That reply makes no sense. Many non union workers are also former military..

How does wanting people a choice equate to non patriotic? Hell, this nation was founded on the belief that people should have a choice..
You do have a choice and that is you don't have to choose a unionized workplace to find a job. There are quite numerous NON-unionized workplaces in which to choose from.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:56 AM

382 posts, read 721,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
But unions had little to nothing to do with improving working conditions or improving wages. It's revisionist history to say differently.
If you look closely at my statement, you'll notice I didn't say, "Business owners didn't improve things" I said they didn't improve things "out of the goodness of their hearts;" in other words, improvements in working conditions, shorter work shifts, etc., came about because there were compelling business interests. Sometimes those compelling business interests included the fact that unionized workers would refuse to work if their grievances weren't addressed.

Listen, both of us are probably on the same page when we see people in a union taking advantage of their position, not working hard, and collecting a huge payout. Ideally, the desire for an owner to make a profit and the desire for a worker to make a living should dovetail. But without trade unions and their allies, I can easily imagine a race to the bottom in terms of labor practices, child labor, sick leave, workers' comp., OSHA, etc., all in the name of shareholder value. I don't know about you, but I don't want US companies to look to China or Bangladesh for their models on how to run a business.

Nobody on this forum grew up in the time when manual laborers were essentially powerless, so it's easy for some of us to be dismissive of their struggle. But I'm glad unions gave them some representation, and I have to respectfully disagree with your claim.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
You are completely WRONG and I will give you a good example that proves it.

First of all let's establish something. Walmart, Pro or anti union? LOL It's totally a no brainer question since Walmart will fight unions to the death rather than see their workers organized. So anyway, here in Ontario Walmart builds a lot of stores. We have many non union builders here and they are out there working all of the time. Do you sppose the non union guys are building Walmart stores? Not on your life do they. They don't even get the chance to bid on the Walmart jobs. That is because Walmart knows all the good builders are union, can meet a deadline, have a high degree of SAFETY, have fully qualified tradesmen and all in all just are better all around than the non union guys.

Your claims about the union thuggery might be valid in a less civilized country like the USA but not here in Canada. We have union and non union firms pretty much right across the board here. Some owners even own one of each.
I refuse to believe anyone is this stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies