Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 07:06 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times

Advertisements

When a populace is ignorant enough to choose the freedom of looking cool over government enforced safety, I'm all for government forcing the helmet on their heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 07:15 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
Now that Obama has mastered the health insurance system, and wowed us with his devotion to all, should a nationwide helmet law be put in place?
After all, we'll all be chipping in to pay for this awesome healthcare for all, and people flying around on bikes unprotected is almost as dangerous as smoking in a bar isn't it?
If it was up to me I'd make it mandatory for posters here at CD to wear helmets. The libbies at least.
Understanding that military personnel are required to do that anyway, no matter the state laws for where they live?...

Old 05-16-2013, 07:17 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
When a populace is ignorant enough to choose the freedom of looking cool over government enforced safety, I'm all for government forcing the helmet on their heads.
Why? It's none of your business whether or not someone takes the recomended personal safety precautions.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:28 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The same people that tell folks to get a driver's license, have working headlights, turn signals and brakes.
With all due respect, wearing a helmet is hardly comparable. Not having those things puts others in danger. For the most part, not wearing a helmet puts only you in danger. I'm troubled by going down this road of protecting people from themselves, mostly because I can never get a satisfactory answer of where we draw the line. If it could be shown to me that bikers not wearing helmets equates to substantial externalities on the rest of us, I probably would be persuaded.

Perhaps my sensitivity on this issue stems from the push to require helmets for bicyclists. I ride a ton. 95% of the time, it's with a lid on my head. There are certain times where I go without, mostly when it's 90 plus degrees. Should I face a fine if I'm caught without a helmet on those occasions? I'm a grown man. I think I should have the right to make that decision, particularly when riding a bike, even without a helmet, is one of the safer activities I could be doing. I'm just troubled by this mindset of protecting people from themselves. As I've posed to the helmet nannies before: I sure hope you always avoid two-lane highways when a four-lane, if even further out of the way, is an option. Statistically, that's far riskier than me riding without a helmet. I have a whole list of scenarios I usually use, but they escape me at the moment. You get the picture. As Frank Drebin once said, "You take a big chance getting up in the morning, crossing the street, or sticking your face in a fan."

Old 05-16-2013, 07:36 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
I once heard a doctor say that the single safety measure that would save the most lives by far would be to require all motor vehicle drivers & passengers to wear helmets. Why is it that we never talk about helmet laws for cars & trucks?

Old 05-16-2013, 07:36 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
If we use the argument that, due to Obamacare, we all share the costs of injuries associated with riders that don't wear helmets, we shouldn't discriminate. A while back I did some research, per mile ridden, bicyclists on public streets were killed at a far greater rate than motorcyclists. So we should of course ban bicycles, too expensive for society. Same with rock climbing, way too dangerous, people are killed far too often. Of course, skiing and snowboarding both are more dangerous than motorcycling, and of course any backcountry skier or snowshoer also places the cost of their rescue on the public should they be lost or injured in the backcountry. Mountain bikes of course put people at great risk. We lose swimmers every year in our public pools, beaches and rivers, better ban swimming and boating while we're at it. Same of course with horse back riding, people are bucked off horses pretty regularly. After all, who wants to pay for people hurt while they are playing, right?

Shall I go on?

Old 05-16-2013, 07:39 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
If helmet laws are not mandatory, then I don't think it should be mandatory for first responders to treat you while you play Russian Roulette with the tarmac.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:42 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
The Umbrellagate thingie is truly hilarious.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:42 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
You are a stupid fool for not wearing a helmet but it's not any of my business if you do or not.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:48 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,634 times
What is the name of the statist bug that has crawled up so many people's butts? Why do you even care what the hell someone else does? What makes you think you even have a right to dictate these statist minded preferences?

I think all statists should be hunted down, drug out into a public square and stoned to death. How about letting us take THAT vote?

The people who think they have some right to dictate their will upon another are IGNORANT morons who obviously fail to realize that eventually others will come after their choices. No offense meant to normal morons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies