Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 12:19 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,478,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Because everyone else who has broached the subject was called a racist or a bigot!

So now you agree that the black culture is screwed up?

All it took was an obama to say it for you to agree.
Scary aint it? These people are dangerous!!!!! If the Obama's told them to go "arrest" Conservatives, these people would gladly oblige.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 12:21 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,568,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Yet, the trend continues.
Saying that hip hop and ghetto culture define African American culture is the equivalent of stating that trailer park trash and meth labs define White American culture

Old 05-17-2013, 12:29 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,482,438 times
I like how she never said black culture, yet you guys are saying she is. Plus it is amazing that you guys can twist anything to fit the message you want to present. But then again, it is Friday and this is P&OC.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:33 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,842,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Is it racist when Bill Cosby says it?
That's what I was wondering. Didn't he say the same thing? She just can't catch a break.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
That's what I was wondering. Didn't he say the same thing? She just can't catch a break.
And Cosby had many critics among the Blacks after those speeches.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:54 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,231,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Well, I don't think conservatives really believe she was being racist. I think this post was sarcasm to prove a point. And that point is that, there basically is a very common attitude among black people which doesn't value education. And that is what many people have come to define as "ghetto culture" or some might call it "black culture". Which is generally related to rap music or hip-hop music, which is basically "the music" and culture of many urban areas of the country. And while white people, Hispanics, and Asians can be involved in "ghetto culture" as well, it is overwhelmingly adhered to by blacks.

The point of the post is that, when anyone speaks of ghetto culture in regards to blacks, and how it is an issue. Most black people seem to be in absolute denial that there is even such a thing as ghetto black culture, or at least downplay its significance. They want to argue that ghetto culture in regards to blacks, is no more of a problem than "trailer trash" or "meth" culture is a problem for whites. And while I do recognize that trailer trash and meth culture(white ghetto culture) is a growing problem. It is simply no where near the same level as ghetto culture. Because the vast majority of white people, especially older white people, absolutely shun and condemn this kind of behavior by white people.

Black politicians many times will embrace "their roots", and speak effectively some words from the ebonic culture that they came from. Many times as an attempt to "get through" to black kids, to convince them that an education is important, and that they can accomplish anything if they work hard.

The point is, I think Bill Cosby is right. I think Michelle Obama is right. There is a very large problem in the black community in regards to the common cultural expectations of blacks and education. Especially in a glorification of "ballers" and "rappers".

I don't know what the percentages are. I don't know if its a "many" or a "most". I don't know if its a problem of only 1 in 8(if I recall, its the number of black men that will go to prison). I would assume it would be a problem of a lot more than the percentage of people who end up in prison. So I do believe it is a very large problem.

Regardless, I'm not obsessed with the problem itself. I would be much more interested in the cause of the problem, and then the solution to the problem. And the solution to the problem most necessarily has to mean a very strong recognition and condemnation of the culture by the black community. I think people who pretend there isn't a problem are really the people who are to blame for the continuing problem. Because pretending a problem doesn't exist, is not a solution.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Saying that hip hop and ghetto culture define African American culture is the equivalent of stating that trailer park trash and meth labs define White American culture
Well then.."hip hop and ghetto define TOO MANY Blacks."

Old 05-17-2013, 01:06 PM

14,488 posts, read 11,311,810 times
"I was gonna be a lawyer...but then I got high"

Old 05-17-2013, 01:07 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,024,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Well, I don't think conservatives really believe she was being racist. I think this post was sarcasm to prove a point. And that point is that, there basically is a very common attitude among black people which doesn't value education. And that is what many people have come to define as "ghetto culture" or some might call it "black culture". Which is generally related to rap music or hip-hop music, which is basically "the music" and culture of many urban areas of the country. And while white people, Hispanics, and Asians can be involved in "ghetto culture" as well, it is overwhelmingly adhered to by blacks.

The point of the post is that, when anyone speaks of ghetto culture in regards to blacks, and how it is an issue. Most black people seem to be in absolute denial that there is even such a thing as ghetto black culture, or at least downplay its significance. They want to argue that ghetto culture in regards to blacks, is no more of a problem than "trailer trash" or "meth" culture is a problem for whites. And while I do recognize that trailer trash and meth culture(white ghetto culture) is a growing problem. It is simply no where near the same level as ghetto culture. Because the vast majority of white people, especially older white people, absolutely shun and condemn this kind of behavior by white people.

Black politicians many times will embrace "their roots", and speak effectively some words from the ebonic culture that they came from. Many times as an attempt to "get through" to black kids, to convince them that an education is important, and that they can accomplish anything if they work hard.

The point is, I think Bill Cosby is right. I think Michelle Obama is right. There is a very large problem in the black community in regards to the common cultural expectations of blacks and education. Especially in a glorification of "ballers" and "rappers".

I don't know what the percentages are. I don't know if its a "many" or a "most". I don't know if its a problem of only 1 in 8(if I recall, its the number of black men that will go to prison). I would assume it would be a problem of a lot more than the percentage of people who end up in prison. So I do believe it is a very large problem.

Regardless, I'm not obsessed with the problem itself. I would be much more interested in the cause of the problem, and then the solution to the problem. And the solution to the problem most necessarily has to mean a very strong recognition and condemnation of the culture by the black community. I think people who pretend there isn't a problem are really the people who are to blame for the continuing problem. Because pretending a problem doesn't exist, is not a solution.

Read Clarence Page's autobiography; he discusses how hard he and his first wife worked to get their educations and search for good jobs. They thought that they'd done everything right and would be accepted. Eventually his wife committed suicide in despair. Excellent post.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:09 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,085,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Not so much.

Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies