Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 04:59 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,522,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Mrs. Obama seems to think otherwise since "so many" aspire to be sports figures or rappers and don't care about school.
so everything Mrs. Obama is God's truth to you. great. also, as another poster pointed out, she never said anything about black culture specifically. when she speaks about the celebrity worship, she's speaking of all races of young people. I guess one kid's rapper is another kid's useless reality star.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 05:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Didn't take long for this thread to spiral into calling each other racists

FWIW Mrs. Obama was talking to the wrong audience. Instead of bemoaning problems, she should have congratulated that group for not falling into the stereotype and pursing the college degree they were about to get.

That speech of hers would be better served in one of the Chicago high schools.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
He asked you to "enlighten" them. Lol...no matter how many times you say it, if doesn't matter. If Black people are not disproportionately worse off, some if these people would be even more miserable then they already are. What would they do with their time?
you're right. I tried.

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
stop it! there are some pretty dumb non black doctors. don't give us this bell curve crap in 2013.
Chill. I didn't say black doctors are dumb. I said it is hard, for anyone, to become a doctor. You need a 120+ IQ and a heck of a work ethic. It's not something anyone could do if they thought it was "cool," as was claimed by the other poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
so everything Mrs. Obama is God's truth to you. great. also, as another poster pointed out, she never said anything about black culture specifically. when she speaks about the celebrity worship, she's speaking of all races of young people. I guess one kid's rapper is another kid's useless reality star.
She was at a historically Black college talking to Black graduates.

3,436 posts, read 2,950,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Yes but what do you expect at this point, they're also play a significant role in this as well. We move in, they move out and the cycle continues.

Too many people live good of blacks and the spending and mental habits they portray. We know this, people make a living selling black products, rich men live well advertising ignorant black youth the world isn't perfect people.

She said the truth and I'm glad she did. I wish rap would go away personally it's destructive and foolish.
I never disagreed with what she said. In fact I agree wholeheartedly, but I am not about to agree with the idiots who judge every black person they see based on the actions of a few.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I never disagreed with what she said. In fact I agree wholeheartedly, but I am not about to agree with the idiots who judge every black person they see based on the actions of a few.
She said "too many". Enough that it's being addressed by the First Lady.
It's more than "a few".

Old 05-17-2013, 05:05 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,301,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Of course it is real scientifically. The American concept of race may not be wholly scientific though for example the one drop rule application.
You need to be more educated. All human beings trace their lineage to Africa all of us. So genetically we are all Africans.

Also there is this:

Africans are more genetically diverse than the inhabitants of the rest of the world combined, according to a sweeping study that carried researchers into remote regions to sample the bloodlines of more than 100 distinct populations.

The first anatomically modern humans originated in Africa about 200,000 years ago, and all humans today are their direct descendants. The study points to an area along the Namibia-South Africa border, the homeland of the San people, as the starting point for a southwest-to-northeast migratory route that carried people through Africa and across the Red Sea into Eurasia.

Although the study's main focus was on Africa, Tishkoff and her colleagues studied DNA markers from around the planet, identifying 14 "ancestral clusters" for all of humanity. Nine of those clusters are in Africa. "You're seeing more diversity in one continent than across the globe," Tishkoff said.

Race is a social construct a fantasy that was invented by European slavers in America, nothing more. It is a perversion because if you look at actual human history, no one classified themselves based on skin color.

Tribes and nations didn't think because we and this other tribe or nation have the same skin color we are one race, this idea never existed in human history until the slave trade.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:06 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Too many black teens see only three career options, said Lee, sports, rap music or the corner. “Our vision is so narrow,” he said. “Black children have to see more options.”

-Spike Lee

Spike Lee: We need options other than sports, rap and the corner | Get Schooled

Old 05-17-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
She was at a historically Black college talking to Black graduates.
and she was telling college graduates something they didn't need to be told. your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies