Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 12:10 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
That would be the more short-sighted view of politics. One would expect nothing different on the internet, but it also clearly exists in Washington.

The more intelligent, ideal view of politics is that the objective is for all sides to have a fair discussion about what is best from a multitude of perspectives for collective long-term interests, and to then formulate policies that provide the best balance for those interests to be met.

We all have to live together in a local geographic area, no matter how different we are, and therefore we all sink or swim similarly if we are unable to discuss issues on their merits and make rational compromises.

This would be why moderate views that understand some nuance of degree along a continuum are generally more beneficial to the health of a nation than polarizing extremism, whether conservative or liberal.

Again, I don't expect this in a freak show of a place like this forum, where I come primarily for low-level entertainment. But I do wish that it occurred more in real life, where it actually matters.
So true. Funny, I sometimes think that folks like "the mask", "jt800" are just farcical characters invented by some political operative, but then I see the same stuff coming out of politicians mouths the next day! I wish the model you put forward was how it really happened, but we have devolved into a "my way or the highway" sort of political culture lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 12:15 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,120,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
"Why are political discussions stupid"?

Because Americans are too immature to have a civil discussion about American politics. We can thank asshats like Chris Mathews and Rush Limbaugh for this.
Actually, you can thank corporate "news" media in general; MSBNC, CNN, ABC, FOX, CBS--all the same fearmongering, warmongering, divide-and-conquer nonsense. AM radio is just an offshoot of TV news.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:19 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The reason is because liberals are involved in the discussion.

Good luck achieving anything approaching productivity or common sense when lefties are talking.
Your highly rigid belief toward how you think liberals and lefties act doesn't help matters, either.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:24 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Actually, you can thank corporate "news" media in general; MSBNC, CNN, ABC, FOX, CBS--all the same fearmongering, warmongering, divide-and-conquer nonsense. AM radio is just an offshoot of TV news.
That's pretty much where I was going with that.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Nail on the head. I know people that watch that crap 5 and 6 hours a day. Their whole lives are consumed with politics.

What the hell kinda life is that? Idiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
"Why are political discussions stupid"?

Because Americans are too immature to have a civil discussion about American politics. We can thank asshats like Chris Mathews and Rush Limbaugh for this.
Yep. I will never understand how anyone can listen to someone they agree with for 3 or 4 straight hours a day. You'd have to be a real loser to do that to begin with.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:56 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Besides, it's dreadfully boring as a topic.
In your opinion.

I consider politics to be a sport - only college football is better.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:57 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

I consider politics to be a sport - only college football is better.
That's the problem, it's not a damn sport. There should not be a goal of winning or losing, as it should be a compromising proposition.

We all have to share the same air we breath in this country, and I'll never understand why we've turned our political system into sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies