Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 12:33 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,955,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
If a civilian had done the same thing in the same circumstance, what would happen to the civilian? That's what should happen to this stupid trigger-happy cop! Nothing less!

Cops wake up wanting to go assault citizens of this country. They're losers and members of the biggest gang threat in the country. And they violate laws daily with impunity. Until they are treated the same as everyone else when they kill innocent people this situation will only continue to get worse.
Tell us, please, what you think the cop SHOULD have done in that situation? The criminal had the innocent girl in a headlock and was pointing the gun at her. He then threatened the police officer, pointing the gun at him. What action should that officer have taken? And please be sure that your recommended course of action guarantees safety of both the officer and the girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 01:16 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Considering that they are one of the most trusted people in the US according to Gallup, they should possess a bachelor's degree at the minimum. There's too many roid raging cops on the streets today who shouldn't be anywhere near a gun, much less a steel baton.
Well, yes, in my town, our PD confronted a man wielding a big knife, and shot at him 49 times, yeah, they killed the guy, his body probably resembled Swiss cheese.

In days following 9/11/01, a suspicious package was found downtown, this is when all the chem weapons scares were reverberating throughout the country. What did our PD do? They blew up the package w/ a controlled explosion. Now what if chemicals would have been inside? Yup, dumb cops for sure.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:40 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,228,038 times
He shouldn't have taken the damn shot! The girl would have been no worse off if the PIG hadn't even shown up! Of course that cop didn't give a damn about that girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Tell us, please, what you think the cop SHOULD have done in that situation? The criminal had the innocent girl in a headlock and was pointing the gun at her. He then threatened the police officer, pointing the gun at him. What action should that officer have taken? And please be sure that your recommended course of action guarantees safety of both the officer and the girl.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:58 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,080,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
So {sew} buttons on your underwear.

A person or persons with a college education might have given more thought about spraying bullets everywhere and therefore not risking the life of a hostage, duh. Mr. Armchair expert.
That's just ridiculous.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:35 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,081,126 times
What was what about the story that someone who lived in the house owed some Russian $10,000? Why did the armed robber make up that story? Wouldn't "Give me all your money and jewelry or I'll kill you?" accomplish the same thing? I know this thread is about the cop but this is the first time I've read about this story so I have questions.

“'Somebody in this house f--ked up and owes this Russian guy $10,000,' yelled Dalton Smith, who was on the run after violating parole last month... Smith kept talking about “the Russian guy,” Kourtessis recalled. The parolee claimed the house’s residents owed the Russian money, that the Russian was waiting outside and that the debt was due “by the end of the night.” His claims made no sense to anyone, but Smith’s semiautomatic gun was hard to ignore."

EXCLUSIVE: Hofstra victim's twin sister's boyfriend recounts horrifying experience of being held hostage by LI parolee Dalton Smith - NYPOST.com

Old 05-19-2013, 11:57 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,817,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
He shouldn't have taken the damn shot! The girl would have been no worse off if the PIG hadn't even shown up! Of course that cop didn't give a damn about that girl.
Another one who didn't read or couldn't comprehend the story.
The criminal pointed his gun at the officer.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:12 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,228,038 times
Another one who didn't read or couldn't comprehend the story. The girl didn't point a gun at anyone. Have you ever heard of COVER?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Another one who didn't read or couldn't comprehend the story.
The criminal pointed his gun at the officer.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:40 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,553,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
No need to have a gun in your home. Just call these highly trained professionals.

Hofstra Student Killed by Police During Break-In - ABC News
I hope that poor girl's family sues the [BLEEP] out of that "police" department.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:42 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,359,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
"Sad" does not begin to measure this tragedy.

I know nothing first hand of police training, but clearly there is a need for training for precisely this sort of scenario, would you not agree? It doesn't even make sense that an officer who can't hit a head with a single shot from a few feet away would be carrying a gun and a badge.

Don't misunderstand my comments. There is no stronger supporter of the police, generally, than I. But I don't accept that this tragedy had to happen.

Let me also make clear that this scenario does not make the case for individual gun ownership for most Americans.
If you know nothing about police training why do you continue to make these comments? In law enforcement training or any self defense training one is always trained to shoot for the largest target area and that would be center mass of the torso. A headshot is a hundred times more difficult than aiming for center mass. The issue here is he opened fire and kept firing while allowing his shots to go off the mark.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,359,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
So {sew} buttons on your underwear.

A person or persons with a college education might have given more thought about spraying bullets everywhere and therefore not risking the life of a hostage, duh. Mr. Armchair expert.
Which college courses study that subject? Marksmanship 101?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies