Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 09:51 AM

15,880 posts, read 21,483,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post

Maybe I can find a college willing to offer studies on Cherokee-Irish-retired-disabled-Southern-Christian-
cracker-hippie-Democrat-Americans?
Plenty of colleges offer degrees in special education.

But yes, there are plenty of programs in Native American studies, Christian studies (even at my Jewish college - where we have several programs relating to Jewish and Middle Eastern studies) and geriatric studies is a huge up and coming major as the boomers begin to retire. UNC specifically offers a Southern studies program, which looks like it covers all of your bases.

At one of the schools I am looking at masters programs at they even have a "middle-ages Icelandic language" masters program. There is something for everyone, somewhere.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:53 AM

11,154 posts, read 10,735,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

But yes, there are plenty of programs in Native American studies, Christian studies (even at my Jewish college - where we have several programs relating to Jewish and Middle Eastern studies) and geriatric studies is a huge up and coming major as the boomers begin to retire. UNC specifically offers a Southern studies program, which looks like it covers all of your bases.

At one of the schools I am looking at masters programs at they even have a "middle-ages Icelandic language" masters program. There is something for everyone, somewhere.
Totally off-topic, but that would be an interesting course.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,606,338 times
You can even create your own major at some colleges.
Sometimes the problems come after you graduate with that custom degree and start looking for work.

Can't Pick a College Major? Create One - WSJ.com
More than 900 four-year colleges and universities allow students to develop their own programs of study with an adviser's help, up 5.1% from five years ago, based on data from the College Board, a New York-based nonprofit organization of colleges and universities.
The programs can spark students' enthusiasm for learning and sometimes equip them for complicated, cross-disciplinary jobs or emerging career fields. But parents are often wary, fearing their kids will drift too far from training for a real, paying job. Some employers look askance at do-it-yourself majors, too, saying their novelty leaves room for confusion about what, exactly, the grads can do.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:57 AM

532 posts, read 1,070,659 times
I think she's very bright and this doesn't surprise me at all. One of the things she's spoken about (in public, yet), IIFC, is the value of masturbation. She's for it. She's right, too. Takes a lot of nerve to bring up a subject like that..

But I think it's great. There's nothing wrong with that. Cal State is not a bad school, either (and neither is her UG school, Texas A & M). Good for her. Hope she gets a doctorate next and writes an interesting book of some kind.

Degrees are not necessarily for getting a job; scholarship is a "good," all on its own.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:00 AM

78,642 posts, read 60,809,315 times
Hey, whatever floats her boat. She makes millions a year and if that is her interest in studying then so be it....it's not like she is coming out of college with 100k in student loans with that major and will never be able to pay it off.

Good for her. It might have been as an example to her kids about education or a promise to finish college etc. A number of famous people have gone back to finish degrees they'd promise to complete. Shaq and several other NBA players come to mind with Shaq getting his doctoral degree.

Heckuva lot better examples for youth than spending their spare time making sex tapes and getting arrested etc.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
I think she's very bright and this doesn't surprise me at all. One of the things she's spoken about (in public, yet), IIFC, is the value of masturbation. She's for it. She's right, too. Takes a lot of nerve to bring up a subject like that..

But I think it's great. There's nothing wrong with that. Cal State is not a bad school, either (and neither her UG school, Texas A & M). Good for her. Hope she gets a doctorate next and writes some interesting book of some kind.

Degrees are not necessarily for getting a job; scholarship is a "good," all on its own.
She does seem pretty bright.

The only mistake she's made was marrying a frenchman AND NBA player (all rolled into one) and expecting him to keep his dick in his pants even as hot as she is.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:06 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,594,166 times
Default Eva Longoria graduates with a Master's Degree in Chicano Studies

Higher education and advanced degrees are good things.

Way to go, Eva.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:09 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,311,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Brings a whole new meaning of ''If you've got the money, honey, I've got the time.''

Old 05-23-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Higher education and advanced degrees are good things.

Way to go, Eva.
I said the same thing....but I CAVEATED by pointing out her financial means with that degree.

If some family is sending their kid off to college to get that major and they are incurring sizeable student loans....it's about as responsible as teaching the kid that you can drive after drinking if you stick to the speed limit. Maybe have them experiment with heroin while they are at it too.

Financial suicide at age 22 with a non-dischargeable debt is very real.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,606,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I said the same thing....but I CAVEATED by pointing out her financial means with that degree.

If some family is sending their kid off to college to get that major and they are incurring sizeable student loans....it's about as responsible as teaching the kid that you can drive after drinking if you stick to the speed limit. Maybe have them experiment with heroin while they are at it too.

Financial suicide at age 22 with a non-dischargeable debt is very real.
Just a week or two ago there was an article on this.
Because of their high debt these young adults can't qualify for either mortgages or new car loans even with good paying first jobs.

I have a 20-something year old niece with $80K in student loan debt.
IMHO that's worse then CC debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.