Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 12:37 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Nobody has ever died from lack of insurance, ever. If I drop my car insurance my car won't crash. If I drop my renters insurance my valuables won't be stolen. I would just have to pay out of pocket. Insurance is simply a financial instrument that transfers risk for a fee.
And what if that fee is too great for you to pay, but if you had insurance that injury or life threatening medical issue would have been covered? That is how someone can die from lack of insurance.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:43 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Nobody has ever died from lack of insurance, ever. If I drop my car insurance my car won't crash. If I drop my renters insurance my valuables won't be stolen. I would just have to pay out of pocket. Insurance is simply a financial instrument that transfers risk for a fee.
I think Obamacare is structured wrong and will basically only enrich insurance companies, but uninsured people do die.

Over 26,000 annual deaths for uninsured: report | Reuters

I definitely think we need some kind of health care reform. I have friends who cannot get insurance because of pre-existing conditions - not at any price. And health care is very expensive and without insurance most can't afford care. Not to mention those with insurance who have problems actually getting their insurance companies to pay. Just one incident that led to the death of a child occurred in California a few years ago when Cigna refused to pay for the child's liver (or maybe kidney) transplant. The parents had to fight to get them to agree to pay for what was a covered expense in their policy. Cigna finally agreed but it was too late by then and the child died.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:44 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,795,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Go back to the way the 'system' was in 2009? What system?

The system that allows free-loaders to fill up the emergency rooms in order to get MRI scans for headaches? To get all sorts of diagnostic tests for 'free': free for them, but not for property owners like me who pay a special property tax to fund the county hospital? Is that the 'system' people want to go back to? Who is against Obamacare? Those who are facing paying for their own blasted health care.
You'll still be paying for them; only now it'll be included in your MANDATED HEALTHCARE PREMIUMS!

Insurance premiums have already skyrocketed 20-100% and AHCA isn't even fully impemented yet.

Now we're going to be swamped with corporations dropping a significant portion of their full time employees down to 29 hours a week to skirt paying for their insurance. The fines are far less than the premiums. The result will be a flood of freeloaders who were once insured (or subsidized) as full time employees. How is that so much better?

Yes, go back to the free-market system where competition dictates price. Tort reform and portable insurance would have done more to lower insurance rates and healthcare costs. However, this isn't in the best interest of the legal industries who are the biggest abusers of the healthcare system, because of frivolous lawsuits and greed.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:47 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,425,615 times
Just because they accept someone with a pre-existing condition does not necessarily mean they have health care in a sense. My insurance company accepts but they base your monthly insurance payments on tiers, the higher on the tiered schedule you are the more you pay per month. Then even though you are paying because now they must cover you, they won't pay the bills for the first year.

If you are counting on the government, someone else is paying for you. Nothing new here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.