Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 05:35 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times

Advertisements

"As majority leader, I intend to run the Senate with respect for the rules and for the minority rights the rules protect. The Senate was not established to be efficient. Sometimes the rules get in the way of efficiency. The Senate was established to make sure that minorities are protected. Majorities can always protect themselves, but minorities cannot. That is what the Senate is all about. For more than 200 years, the rules of the Senate have protected the American people, and rightfully so. The need to muster 60 votes in order to terminate Senate debate naturally frustrates the majority and oftentimes the minority. I am sure it will frustrate me when I assume the office of majority leader in a few weeks. But I recognize this requirement is a tool that serves the long-term interest of the Senate and the American people and our country." (Congressional Record, S.11591, 12/8/06)

But that was then.

Now he has established the Democrats as totalitarian rulers in the Senate. No Republican votes count. Obama can have all the radical judges and appointee's he wants. He can complete his "transformation of the United States."

Good luck in 2014 and 2016, Democrats. I think you are in for a surprise.

I have already told my Democrat Senator what I think, and judging by the wait time before I was able to speak to an aid, so have a lot of other people. Many minutes. It was unprecidented. I have never had to wait to speak to someone at Sherrod Brown's office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 06:43 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Harry Reid is at the root of a lot of the problems we are having with congress today. People screamed about Mitch McConnell, but he was nothing in comparison to Reid. How many House bills has he let go to the Senate floor again? It is one thing for bills to be voted down, a totally different thing for them to never even be considered.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:21 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
"As majority leader, I intend to run the Senate with respect for the rules and for the minority rights the rules protect. The Senate was not established to be efficient. Sometimes the rules get in the way of efficiency. The Senate was established to make sure that minorities are protected. Majorities can always protect themselves, but minorities cannot. That is what the Senate is all about. For more than 200 years, the rules of the Senate have protected the American people, and rightfully so. The need to muster 60 votes in order to terminate Senate debate naturally frustrates the majority and oftentimes the minority. I am sure it will frustrate me when I assume the office of majority leader in a few weeks. But I recognize this requirement is a tool that serves the long-term interest of the Senate and the American people and our country." (Congressional Record, S.11591, 12/8/06)

But that was then.

Now he has established the Democrats as totalitarian rulers in the Senate. No Republican votes count. Obama can have all the radical judges and appointee's he wants. He can complete his "transformation of the United States."

Good luck in 2014 and 2016, Democrats. I think you are in for a surprise.

I have already told my Democrat Senator what I think, and judging by the wait time before I was able to speak to an aid, so have a lot of other people. Many minutes. It was unprecidented. I have never had to wait to speak to someone at Sherrod Brown's office.

I don't care. And if you think a single voter cares about the filibuster, I think you need to be drug tested.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:29 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:

But that was then.

Now he has established the Democrats as totalitarian rulers in the Senate. No Republican votes count. Obama can have all the radical judges and appointee's he wants. He can complete his "transformation of the United States.".
Except that for the last few years, the minority has ruled in the Senate. They have abused the use of the filibuster to a ridiculous degree, one that goes way beyond simply protecting the voice of the minority. If they had respected the process, this wouldn't have been necessary. But alas, the Tea Party doesn't know the meaning of that word, so there you have it.

Incidentally, the filibuster was not part of the Constitution. It was a rule the Senate created itself. If the GOP is so upset about it being removed, if and when they return to the majority they can put it back in place. I sincerely hope you hold your breath while waiting for that to happen.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:44 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
There's no doubt dementia has set in with that doddering old fool.

He should be moved into a home somewhere so he can be properly fed and bathed.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:01 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Reminds me of Hillary screaming this............

I Am Sick And Tired - Hillary Clinton - YouTube

We have a right to debate with any administration? LOL. The "right" of elected representatives has just been made moot and if you dare question anything Obama does these same people scream you are a racist and run off. Tyrants have taken over the US. The only ones who can't see it think they will get something coming to them. They will too...........gulags. I hope I live long enough to walk with them to the camps and tell them what complete and utter fools they all are.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
I don't care. And if you think a single voter cares about the filibuster, I think you need to be drug tested.
I am a voter. I care. It is an important tool that has been in place for over 200 years. Obviously, you have never studied government.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Except that for the last few years, the minority has ruled in the Senate. They have abused the use of the filibuster to a ridiculous degree, one that goes way beyond simply protecting the voice of the minority. If they had respected the process, this wouldn't have been necessary. But alas, the Tea Party doesn't know the meaning of that word, so there you have it.

Incidentally, the filibuster was not part of the Constitution. It was a rule the Senate created itself. If the GOP is so upset about it being removed, if and when they return to the majority they can put it back in place. I sincerely hope you hold your breath while waiting for that to happen.
Of course. Blame it on the 'Tea Party!' How convenient. How predictable.

You are another clueless "knownothing."

Old 11-23-2013, 04:03 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
I am a voter. I care. It is an important tool that has been in place for over 200 years. Obviously, you have never studied government.
It's a rule created by the Senate, and which has been abused by the minority, so it was revoked by the Senate. Let's see how fast the GOP will be to reinstate it if they regain the upper chamber. My guess is we'll never see it put back in place by either party.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Reminds me of Hillary screaming this............

I Am Sick And Tired - Hillary Clinton - YouTube

We have a right to debate with any administration? LOL. The "right" of elected representatives has just been made moot and if you dare question anything Obama does these same people scream you are a racist and run off. Tyrants have taken over the US. The only ones who can't see it think they will get something coming to them. They will too...........gulags. I hope I live long enough to walk with them to the camps and tell them what complete and utter fools they all are.
Oooooh. She is frigtening! Yipes. How well I remember that. The Democrats have forgotten it (conveniently) and now seem to thing she would be a great choice for 2016. God help America ... oh, wait ... Democrats don't believe in God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies