Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 04:55 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,916,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Those Chinese are on a roll.

[an eggroll that is...!! ]
they are really wok'n the wok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 04:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Buy out shareholders and take it private.
Nice move and right after Continental Grain, already a private international commodity company, threw it's weight at Smithfield being it's second largest shareholder.

I guess I need to start looking into raising pigs now.

Private international commodity companies...you'll have no clue where your food is coming from in a few years.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:00 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,916,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Private international commodity companies...you'll have no clue where your food is coming from in a few years.
Yea, that's really scary stuff. But, I'm not convinced the food here is much better unfortunately..

At least (I think?) here I don't have to worry about our crops being fertilized with human waste.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Yea, that's really scary stuff. But, I'm not convinced the food here is much better unfortunately..

At least (I think?) here I don't have to worry about our crops being fertilized with human waste.
And they will keep the name. People will continue to think it's all US based food.
I put it right up there with "organic" from the supermarket. All those nice sounding organic brands you see in the supermarket are owned by the big Ag companies that bought them out and kept the brand name.

Ignorance is bliss.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:09 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,486,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep.

Am I the only one that remembers the 1980's when the Japanese were going to own the whole USA and were unstoppable?
BRIC has 3 billion people. Approximately 10 times that of the US. What's going to "peak" is the resources of this planet and it'll do so when those 3 billion people reach a standard of living about 1/4 of what Americans have and even then that'll leave almost nothing for the other 3.8 billion people on the planet.

Or, letter Q, that won't be happening exactly like that and what will be happening is the SOL for Americans and "BRIC" will decline as the other 3.8 billion people gain some wealth.

Anyways, it doesn't really matter because everything points to whatever % of the planet in population you are as a country will be the amount of resources you'll be able to use and the U.S. is 4.5% of the world's population and we currently use 25% of the world's resources.

If everyone on planet Earth had a somewhat equal standard of living that would equate out to a GDP per capita (ppp) of about $12,400/year (2012 dollars).

The GDP per capita (ppp) for the U.S. (2012 dollars) was $49,800.

At this point I guess I should insert "you aint seen nothin' yet!"

Last edited by BigJon3475; 05-29-2013 at 05:20 PM..

Old 05-29-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Yep.

Am I the only one that remembers the 1980's when the Japanese were going to own the whole USA and were unstoppable?
Japan wasn't buying up farmland and food companies in countries all over the globe were they ?
Not quite the same comparison.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:18 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,486,251 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that was legislation proposed by republicans and that got 60% of so of their support from R's.

it was a true bi-partisan screwing of the American unions and manufacturing.

When your fan base is hopelessly partisan, you can get away with doing anything to them, they will rationalize it.
Despite having stated an argument where if I reply to it I'm "rationalizing," I find this really quite simple in terms of what should America have done.

Globalization is going to occur no matter what happens short of world war. Do you want to fight it out over resources now or later?

Remember that a country like China has an aging population that only leaves them a window so large to do something about resources if they can't buy them or take them over corporately.

You can't exactly have an army of 80 year olds imposing their will on the rest of the planet and losing as many aging males as possible so they can lift their one child policy looks like at least one way out of their aging population conundrum.

Anyways, we're finding out very quickly what a American "liberal" world will look like and not even American "liberals" can stand it.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:19 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,938,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IIRC - I read here that in 1960 the US auto industry used 3 million people to build 9 million cars. No they use 300,000 to produce the same number. The real job losses are not just to the Chinese but to the robots and other automated production machinery.

OP - Looks like I put Smithfield products on my do not buy list.
At this point the automation is over estimated I think. It actually creates jobs, just like computers did.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-26-2013 at 11:59 AM..

Old 05-29-2013, 05:20 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,950,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
After shipping manufacturing over to China it now looks like they are buying up our food supply to send over there too.

Smithfield agrees to be bought by Chinese meat producer for almost $5B - NBC News.com

Maybe they will send a little melamine our way.
I think you mis-undersand...now China gets to sell you their infected/polluted pork products under the "Smithfield" cover brand.

China is a huge pork producer...no regulations. they will make billions selling inferior hams loaded with nitrates and presevatives for the long journey to Fat America's Holiday tables.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:21 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,517,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
After shipping manufacturing over to China it now looks like they are buying up our food supply to send over there too.

Smithfield agrees to be bought by Chinese meat producer for almost $5B - NBC News.com

Maybe they will send a little melamine our way.
Lol.
does America have a food shortage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies