Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 06:21 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,885,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL..the US is included in that "buying up farmland worldwide" my friend.
Farms are being sold to "investors". Slowly your resources are being privatized.
Not out of necessity to sustain the population, they aren't. To add, if publicly or privately, we are buying farmland, domestic or internationally, who cares?

I live in corn/soy bean country, and there isn't a damn bit of this farmland going public. There are fewer farms, but it is consolidation, cooperatives, and private purchases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 06:22 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,018,361 times
Quote:
Farms are being sold to "investors". Slowly your resources are being privatized.
Won't be land, it will be water... And it might be ruined soil...... Dupont has broad leaf killers out what make anything but lawn grass dead. If you should use that grass for soil making compost and that ends up in a veggie garden you won't grow veggies..... Both horses and cattle chit it out, and if you compost that you will ruin garden soil too. As far as I know this has been used only in England so far.... but with poly tics being what it is I wouldn't be surprised to see a weapon made of soil before very long.

That's worse than Milorganite.. which is maybe ok on just flowers.. Just maybe.....

As a nation we are ending up with a chemical stew in water and that water ends up on soil.

This BS is getting totally out of hand. It's no wonder to me there cancer rates are what they are, and or that girlieboys exist in record numbers, while the male birth rate lowers as it is.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:26 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,946,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
China's peaked, and I wish Americans would stop being so damn afraid of the Chinese. They have 1.3 billion people, most of which live in total despair and poverty. The amount of social unrest in their future, is sure to stifle the economy, seal their fate as a second rate nation - in perpetuity.
Too; word is that China's working age pop is starting to go DOWN in real numbers. That's what happens when there's been a "1 kid per family" law for over 30 years now.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:27 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,567,698 times
Tell Bernanke: you can't print food.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:31 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,951,260 times
Quote:
These topics address corporate investments and off shoring, but they fail to address govt (municipal corps) investment and shares in these same multinationals. Basically, govt is pointing fingers at multinationals w/o mentioning they are the biggest profiters through shares, tax and regulations.

It is ironic to hear them complain about "tax evasion" when as the biggest shareholder in these multinationals their proxy voting through corporate governance is the very reason these multinationals do this. It does keep people from seeing their role in it and push the simple "myth" about taxation however.
Double Irish With A Dutch Sandwich Definition | Investopedia

Old 05-29-2013, 06:42 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,536,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Too; word is that China's working age pop is starting to go DOWN in real numbers. That's what happens when there's been a "1 kid per family" law for over 30 years now.
As if China is the only game in town. You have SW Asia, C. Eurasia, MENA and sub-Saharan Africa to "steal" "your" resources...

This is where I point out that Americans are some arrogant locust who think the world's resources belong to them.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:09 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,658,913 times
Agriculture products are commodities, as is farmland. It's possible to put regulations on the exchange of those commodities (many countries do, especially with land), but in the US, if you have cash, you can buy up quite a bit of land, even if you happen to be a foreign corporation. That's how our system works, and most people seem reasonably satisfied with it. We'll see if that changes over time.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:42 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,605,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Eating dog is ok by me so long as it is all dog and not toxic waste added. I cook lobster and crab about the same way they cook dog. I boil water and drop in the shellfish. Doesn't bother me a bit.

The Chinese envrio. is filthy. Their engineering sucks. They were not ready to run what was left of themselves after what the Japs did to them in WW-2.

Going full blown red commie did them no favors and still isn't. You should see how those rice burners eat monkey! But you were nice to me this one time so i will be mice back and not tell you how that is done.

I will tell you that from what i have experienced in like there is nothing revolting to me anymore, well any more than a pipe dreaming liberal who has given up any and all real thinking.
Oh Gawd. I do not want to know. Why can't they just kill things humanely before boiling, skinning, etc. Just shoot it in the head or something? I realize our own mass production of meat probably isn't any more humane but I saw pictures of the boiling dogs and I thought I was going to faint it was so awful.

I realize I'm a bleeding heart liberal and all that - but I do not know one woman - conservative or liberal that would condone such a practice. None.

I am not eating any meat from Smithfield; I'll have to see what other companies they own and try to get the word out.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:29 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,759,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The Han have been in business for over 6,000 years. They know what they are doing. They are building a Capitalist empire under cover of a nominally "Communist" government.

A Chinaman wrote "the Art of War" and most Chinese leaders have read it. We have apparently ignored it as some kind of "not invented here" trinket.

we do all that it says not to do in the "art of war" like fight far away unnecessary wars were good at that one..

Old 05-29-2013, 09:37 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,951,260 times
This documentary is interesting regarding multinationals and off shoring. It does completely omit the govts as largest shareholder of publicly traded corps. It also promotes the tax myth. However, it still has some interesting information in it.

Video: How 1% asset-holes

The Tax Free Tour (VPRO, Marije Meerman) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies