Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 03:34 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You would get bonus points from me. My BF carries. There is a pistol bedside my bed every night we are together.
awesome!

Old 05-30-2013, 03:40 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Before my step-dad married my mum he had to make a few adjustments:

No facial hair
No smoking cigars
No guns

...The way things turned out, it was a good thing for the family's well-being that he didn't have a gun (or does he?, I dunno, I did see an NRA magazine in his suitcase not long before I left) in the house, since he can be a violent and deranged man whenever he is drunk

Now, I work the night shift, and recently there has been a string of robberies around the neighborhoods I live in. While my own neighborhood is in a safe area, I commute through these neighborhoods by bike (not enough money for a car, ever since cash for clunkers). I've been considering getting a weapon (and my state only allows conceal carry)

Are women like my mum an anomaly, or should I keep quiet on this issue so as not to limit my dating options?
Really an anomaly? Your mom had common sense!

Old 05-30-2013, 03:43 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
My first response is no. But then thinking about it. If my husband carried a gun, I'd make an exception for him.
This^

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
by itself it isnt an issue...certainly not a dealbreaker for a man i was otherwise into.
also This^

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I don't do cigars, I was just using it to make a point that women have certain deal breakers, and I was wondering if a firearm is one of them
Not a dealbreaker for me-just not an incentive, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaligirl View Post
There is no blanket answer to your question that is going to point you to either carrying or not. Each person you date will have a different opinion about guns.
That^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I won't date a gun fanatic. If he has them for hunting, police officer, or in the service it makes sense.
But if has 300 of them, I ask why?
and That^

I'm generally weapon-averse,
the more easy to discharge/use & the more lethal, the more it intimidates & unnerves me.
On the other hand, I don't spend much time thinking about the subject,
plus it's hard to predict how I'd feel until I meet someone in particular with whom the issue arises...
It may depend on how "mentally together"-or a "loose cannon" (pun intended)-the guy seems, in my estimation.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Only if it's for his job or he's ex-military.

Don't get me wrong. I am not out to take away a legally obtained firearm. I just don't want to be around civilians who may or may not have had the proper training, may or may not know what they are doing, and may or may not behave the way someone who has been trained and does know what he is doing would, should they ever feel compelled to use it.
This...I am overall weapon-averse, myself, and the only reason I am cool with it is because I know my BF has been extensively trained in marksmanship as a member of the armed forces. He's not the average yokel with a gun, playing cowboy on the weekends, and it's not fun and games to him, it was a tool with which to arm himself when he was serving in Iraq.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:45 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
If he waited that long to tell me, I'd dump him. I feel that's the kind of thing to disclose to people early on.
I agree with that, absolutely. It should be disclosed early. My BF let me know in our early phone conversations, before we even met, that he collected guns, and carried. No one should keep something like that from a potential partner.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:48 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Really an anomaly? Your mom had common sense!
But his father has a gun and is a completely different and a much better man, in fact, he is the same man that my step-father was the first two years of their marriage. I suspect that he turned out to be a worse person because he couldn't be himself and let alcohol get the best of him.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:50 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Not happening.

I love it when people use the "I know someone who was robbed" excuse. What exactly do you think a gun would do for them in that situation? "Excuse me, Mr Robber? Can you give me a moment to whip out my pistol so we'll be equally matched?" Give me a break.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:52 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
I've always felt that if I had to hide something from a girl, she is not for me. I find the topic a bit humerous and I'll explain why. I grew up around guns, we were taught how to use them. My mother has carried a pistol on her since the day I was born and still does to this day. Seeing how woman are often the targets of physically stronger predators, I think it's awesome that I'm meeting more and more woman who carry firearms. I do not have a CHL (concealed handgun license), but have dated a couple of girls that did.

My advice, I wouldn't go out of the way to bring it up on the first date, but I wouldn't go out of the way to hide it.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:58 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times
If your beau is a cop or a drug dealer then I would have to say that any man who carries a gun out of some civil liberties issue and the fact that he can, has some issues. Most likely these issues stem from a stupid desire to be more man than man. You should convince him to exert his manliness in healthier ways.

I am not saying this as an anti-gun nut. I own a gun and have shot several guns but I would not walk around with it like I am Dirty Harry.

Sorry if I missed an important point. I didn't read all the posts.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:09 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I love it when people use the "I know someone who was robbed" excuse. What exactly do you think a gun would do for them in that situation? "Excuse me, Mr Robber? Can you give me a moment to whip out my pistol so we'll be equally matched?" Give me a break.
Exactly. And for every story of someone using their firearm to successfully fend off a bad guy there are literally hundreds of stories of that gun killing being used (either accidentally or intentionally) to kill its owner or a member of the owner's family. Of course, everyone thinks that only happens to other people and could never happen to them because they're safer than everyone else, but the numbers just don't back that up. Unless you live in a war zone of some kind, you are exponentially more likely to be killed by yourself or a loved one than you are by an intruder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies