Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 05:22 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I think it is wrong to call poor people names, and pretend that our society didn't create both conditions.

Trailer parks, and ghettos both exist based on the choices of US policy. The focus on the people in those places seeks to demonize them and thus justify the conditions that our society has created for them.

It is wrong.
Your right. It can't be because of individual bad choices. It can't be because Susie hooked up with the 3rd string quarterback got pregnant at 15 and has 5 kids by the time she is 22 by 4 different fathers. Condoms are for idiots right.
It can't be the lure of fast money selling drugs.
It can't be pure laziness.
It can't be the ignorant mentality that a trailer was good enough for my family good enough for me.
It can't be the mentality that it's all whitey's fault.
It can't be some people are just too stupid, too ignorant and too lazy to even try to better themselves.
No it has to be society's fault.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:23 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Where would you rather live if you were poor?

I myself would prefer the ghetto, then I wouldn't have to look at all those cars and appliances stacked up in the front yard! ROFL!

Don't white people know how to properly dispose of junk?

Missouri Trailer Trash

Page 1
Where I live you aren't going to find cars or appliances in front yards becsue they cashed them in.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:24 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Probably because they're stoned on meth and drunk most of the time.

Yeah, right. ROFL, see pic in the link.

http://www.missouritrailertrash.com/yard01.jpg
The real answer is that blacks are far more violent than whites.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:26 AM

207 posts, read 432,499 times
I do think Iamme has a valid point. Ridiculing and reducing people to titles such as trailer trash or ghetto trash is distasteful. Not everyone who lives in a trailer park or poor inner city neighborhood is there because they are lazy or incompetent. Furthermore, I live in Missouri, and there is far less trash in yards or on the streets in a poor area here than there is in any ghetto. Those photos you are linking, despite being less than glamorous are probably OWNED by someone who is not on government assistance and just wants to live a quiet life not hurting anyone. Been to Baltimore, SE DC, Detroit, Southside Chicago, etc? There is tons of trash in the streets and abandoned cars, houses in total disrepair. A ghetto is far more dangerous than a trailer park. Crime rates in a poor trailer park are pretty low generally, but ghettos almost always have ludicrously high violent crime rates.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:26 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
I lived in Florida for a while, so I would choose "neither".

Old 06-02-2013, 05:30 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Both would be awful places to live. I taught children in both of these environments. Poverty may look different in the two places, but both are destructive to young lives. Children in the ghetto are taught to despise all forms of authority and that they are victims of a society that is out to get them so they better take what they want. Children in the trailer park are taught this is the best way to live, that they need to be nice to authority figures so that they can get whatever goodies there are out there, and the best ways to work the system. Both groups are difficult to teach, and their culture is deeply ingrained within them before they step foot into a school. Neither wants to do their work, but the trailer park kids tend to be more polite about it. It's a question of passive aggression versus out right aggression. Both have parents who seem to care great deal more about themselves than the welfare of their children. Both have a give me attitude but a different approach on how to get it.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:33 AM

From a theoretical standpoint, trailerparks are a very responsible way to live. They are not permanent, and they have a very small footprint. Once a tacky, bourgeois McMansion compound is built, that area is wrecked forever. A trailer park can be cleared out in a very short time if necessary. When I retire I would live in a trailer, no problem. I dont care about the connotation. I would just want it to be amongst the trees and mountains rather than people with barking pitbulls, open pipe motorcycles, and people auditioning for COPS with their drunken domestic disputes

Old 06-02-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Both would be awful places to live. I taught children in both of these environments. Poverty may look different in the two places, but both are destructive to young lives. Children in the ghetto are taught to despise all forms of authority and that they are victims of a society that is out to get them so they better take what they want. Children in the trailer park are taught this is the best way to live, that they need to be nice to authority figures so that they can get whatever goodies there are out there, and the best ways to work the system. Both groups are difficult to teach, and their culture is deeply ingrained within them before they step foot into a school. Neither wants to do their work, but the trailer park kids tend to be more polite about it. It's a question of passive aggression versus out right aggression. Both have parents who seem to care great deal more about themselves than the welfare of their children. Both have a give me attitude but a different approach on how to get it.
My Wife went to pick some kids up playing hooky in a trailerpark in PA. She said it was funny because she could hear the kids scampering from room to room when she looked in each window. More funny was she could hear them ask each other "did she leave yet" through the walls

Old 06-02-2013, 05:38 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
I'm not white?
Oh, I must be the bro without the fro then.
What color is your neck?
What a shocker, a liberal black obama supporter. Whoda thunk?

Old 06-02-2013, 05:46 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
Quote:
Where would you rather live if you were poor?

I myself would prefer the ghetto, then I wouldn't have to look at all those cars and appliances stacked up in the front yard! ROFL!

Don't white people know how to properly dispose of junk?
Stacked up junk is very common in my urban ghetto here as well. Very trashy people indeed. Plus the added benefit of not being able to walk around in my inner city projects at night as well, is always a benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies