Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 04:50 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

In the UK...

Newport shopkeeper told to remove ‘obey our laws’ T-shirt

Mr Taylor said: “I had a visit from two CSOs (community support officers) because it has been reported by someone who felt it was offensive.

“It’s not meant to be offensive.

I didn’t produce it to be offensive. It’s what I believe.

“At the end of the day if you don’t like the way a country is run and don’t like our beliefs then go somewhere else, don’t go killing people.

Our version of the UK's CSO is the Community Relations Service (CRS) which is under Holder's group.

Please note this comment at the bottom of the article...

Newport city councillor, Majid Rahman said: “I believe in freedom of speech and defend his rights to say what he wants, but once it starts offending people then it’s a police matter and it’s up to them whether they think it’s broken any laws.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 05:01 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
In the UK...

Newport shopkeeper told to remove ‘obey our laws’ T-shirt

Mr Taylor said: “I had a visit from two CSOs (community support officers) because it has been reported by someone who felt it was offensive.

“It’s not meant to be offensive.

I didn’t produce it to be offensive. It’s what I believe.

“At the end of the day if you don’t like the way a country is run and don’t like our beliefs then go somewhere else, don’t go killing people.

Our version of the UK's CSO is the Community Relations Service (CRS) which is under Holder's group.

Please note this comment at the bottom of the article...

Newport city councillor, Majid Rahman said: “I believe in freedom of speech and defend his rights to say what he wants, but once it starts offending people then it’s a police matter and it’s up to them whether they think it’s broken any laws.”
That's the problem with this issue of "offense". It's been made p.c. and it's up to us to make sure someone, somewhere, is not offended. That's ridiculous. Offense cannot be defined for everyone else by the one claiming offense. That's a very real inhibition and restriction on freedom of expression (and a very convenient tool to be used and misused).

Old 06-01-2013, 05:11 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
That's the problem with this issue of "offense". It's been made p.c. and it's up to us to make sure someone, somewhere, is not offended. That's ridiculous. Offense cannot be defined for everyone else by the one claiming offense. That's a very real inhibition and restriction on freedom of expression (and a very convenient tool to be used and misused).
^^^^^^^This! Some people are so offended by anything that I wonder how they even get out of bed without being offended! It's ridiculous! Poor effiminate offended people.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:59 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
I hope the sales of that shirt go through the roof.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:09 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
I would buy one.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:12 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,979 times
Frankly, all of Europe is administrating its own social collapse. How dare anyone suggest that immigrants adhere to the laws of their new country and to respect the basic beliefs that permeate the culture?

Can't have that. Instead, it's alright for immigrants to disrespect laws and give the middle finger to cultural norms in their new "home" land. Much better than for anyone to embrace their new surroundings. Nah, that's just way too offensive and means you're just forcing your crappy beliefs on me.

The man is right - if you don't like how the country of your choosing is run, then choose some other place.

Glad I don't have to live there. This is absolutely an example of political correctness having gone too far. What's next? Can't serve bangers and mash because it represents shoving British values down foreigners' throats?

Old 06-01-2013, 06:17 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
American Civil Liberties are unparalleled. USA! USA! Makes some politicians' desire to Europeanize the US all the more unfathomable and intolerable. Europe sucks.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:23 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
American Civil Liberties are unparalleled. USA! USA! Makes some politicians' desire to Europeanize the US all the more unfathomable and intolerable. Europe sucks.
Well, yeah, Europe does NOT suck - it's a big place with lots of different cultures and laws. That would be like saying the US sucks because of Kentucky.

What does suck, however, are some of the political compromises some EU countries have made and are making. Alas, some of the political compromises we make in the US suck as well, certainly from a European perspective - guns, healthcare, etc.

This just happens to be one of those things that many this side of the pond see as crazy and over the top. Just like Brits see some of the things we do over here as crazy.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:24 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Things are heating up in the UK:

BBC News - Fifty-eight arrested during Westminster protests

Old 06-01-2013, 06:34 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
What if your face is offensive to me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies