Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 06:09 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Malcolm X said in his autobiography that he respected Goldwater for "speaking out his true convictions" whereas he called Johnson a "tricky fox" and criticized his relationship with "the Southern racist who led the civil rights opposition".

He also said that he would not have voted for either, but that "a dangerous wolf" was preferable to a "sly fox".

(The Autobiography of Malcom X, pg, 373-374).
I've read that bit. I don't have much respect for either Johnson or Goldwater. However, I can vote, I can live where I want, attend university wherever I want. I have the same rights as any White person in this nation. I feel like under Goldwater, I would not have been given that at all. I don't have any respect for Goldwater because he would have been a threat to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 08:24 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And the Republican Party has had some other bad stuff to, in addition to Southern Democrats
Why are racist southern DEMOCRATS branded as a Republican problem?
Quote:
Contrary to the false assertions by Democrats, the racist “Dixiecrats” did not all migrate to the Republican Party. “Dixiecrats” declared that they would rather vote for a “yellow dog” than vote for a Republican because the Republican Party was know as the party for blacks. Today, some of those “Dixiecrats” continue their political careers as Democrats, including Robert Byrd, who is well known for having been a “Keagle” in the Ku Klux Klan.
Why Martin Luther King Was Republican

Old 06-05-2013, 08:26 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
It's not "moving around" people. It's adjusting the education program to the right needs for each student.
Exactly.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:03 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What he means is if a Black kid does something wrong, he should get the same punishment as a White kid who does that same offense. The punishment should fit the crime, and should be allotted based on the crime, and how many times that kid has messed up, and it should be applied equally for everyone, Black, White, Hispanic,Asian,etc.
Yes. The problem is with citing disproportionate outcomes as evidence that this isn't happening. The problem is in the stupid assumption that all races, ethnic groups and economic classes are equally likely to cause trouble in school.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:06 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
is it a fact? or do we just have #'s for kids who actually get suspended and expelled? it's kind of like crime stats isn't it? we only have data for those who were convicted.
Actualy for crime stats we have victim surveys which corroborate the conviction rates.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:15 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Strange there aren't any 15,000 dollar a year private schools in the ghetto, astute observation.
School vouchers....... equal choice...

Teachers unions say no, public ignorance empowers teachers unions.

Keep throwing money at it, that should work.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:02 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
I just started a thread in this section explaining some initiatives that would help reduce city violence.

I have some other ideas I don't want to post that would definitely help low income neighborhoods. There's a lot of business that could thrive in those neighborhoods if they were safer and invested in. The South and West Sides of Chicago still have tons of vacant real estate. Entire new neighborhood designs could be created in some cities.

If we budget our taxes towards the right things it will only come back to help us out. There's still a lot of room for growth in our cities, and as our cities and town's demographic's change, cities could become great places for small business just like they've traditionally been good for big business. When I moved to Chicago the 1st thing I noticed was how many small businesses there were. People shopped and ate local and there was a lot of variety in a relatively small area geographically.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:34 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
Those people destroyed Philly and many of great cities starting back in the 1960's. I feel zero compassion for any kid in that school and cheer the idea that they are a product of their failed parents, Liberalism and the Democratic Party! You go boys!

Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Those people destroyed Philly and many of great cities starting back in the 1960's. I feel zero compassion for any kid in that school and cheer the idea that they are a product of their failed parents, Liberalism and the Democratic Party! You go boys!
What excuse do you have for your own ignorance?

Old 06-06-2013, 11:21 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
School vouchers....... equal choice...

Teachers unions say no, public ignorance empowers teachers unions.

Keep throwing money at it, that should work.
That's not a private school - but if said school funded by public dollars can still restrict who attends, then you still can't compare it to public schools that have to take all the left overs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies