Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 10:50 AM

73,102 posts, read 62,746,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The TRG killed a whole family in my hometown when I was growing up. A guy from my school was involved.

This is an interesting thread. Instead of becoming a racist cess pool, people should think what its like to live in some of these neighborhoods and to go to some of these schools.

The school featured in the video is only one of hundreds of "tough" high schools in this country.
There are rough areas all over. Alot of people don't trying to understand what it's like for the persons living in those neighborhoods. There is no empathy. And the lacking of empathy is all over, rich, poor, Black,White, Hispanic,male, female, etc.

I watched and I thought about some of the students who were in there, trying to get an education, and having to basically survive. The students who want to learn, they either need for that school to became safer, or those kids need a better place to go to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 10:50 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,775,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
...these schools don't take on the characteristics of poor schools in the inner city, because middle class and upper middle class parents would never allow this. however, often in these schools discipline is applied unevenly. minority and lower income students are more likely to be suspended or expelled.
And you would prefer that these schools use some kind of quota system to even up suspensions and expulsions by race and class?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,145,101 times
The big issue to me is that we let these neighborhoods become so bad in the 1st place.

The Drug War coupled with unemployment devastated some neighborhoods in this country and instead of providing the community with help, they lock everyone up and treat the productive citizens like criminals.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:56 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,524,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why? That isn't even true now. There's no way the school in the OP gives its students a learning opportunity that's equal to that of a lower-spending private school, or even that of a lower-spending public school in a less violent environment.

If students want to escape the dead-end violence, let them earn their way out by being admitted to better schools regardless of whether they're public or private. Let the money follow the student. Those who AREN'T interested in learning make the choice to wallow in their prison-like school environments such as that in the OP.
As do I, but they sure as hell aren't the ones who went to schools like the one in the OP.
I said they should not that they are.

2,860 posts, read 3,391,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
you can't get a doctorate without a hs diploma or equivalent.
I did not know that.

15,292 posts, read 7,775,659 times
Quote:
The big issue to me is that we let these neighborhoods become so bad in the 1st place.

The Drug War coupled with unemployment devastated some neighborhoods in this country and instead of providing the community with help, they lock everyone up and treat the productive citizens like criminals.
Letting the convicts from those neighborhoods out of jail early would lead to better communities and schools?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,145,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There are rough areas all over. Alot of people don't trying to understand what it's like for the persons living in those neighborhoods. There is no empathy. And the lacking of empathy is all over, rich, poor, Black,White, Hispanic,male, female, etc.

I watched and I thought about some of the students who were in there, trying to get an education, and having to basically survive. The students who want to learn, they either need for that school to became safer, or those kids need a better place to go to school.
My high school wasn't nearly that bad, but we definitely had our share of violence. I was lucky enough to be a bigger guy and a star football player so I avoided most of the trouble. Other kids though were constantly picked on, beat up, teased.

At my school, especially as a black male, it was "not cool" to be in the AP classes or to make good grades. Fights happened almost every other day in junior high and I even remember teachers getting attacked. By the time we were in high school, the Monday morning topics discussed at school wer "who was beefing with who" or "who shot at who" over the weekend.

The problem is pretty complex and deep IMO as far as solving but it IS a solvable problem. The problem IMO is that not enough people care about the problem to fix it.

People like to make fun of a certain sect of society but don't understand what its like to be in that environment. You have to break conformity to make it out. They also don't know what its lik

Old 06-05-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
And you would prefer that these schools use some kind of quota system to even up suspensions and expulsions by race and class?
no, I prefer that punishment is applied equally to rich and poor, white and black. it is not.

Last edited by Californian34; 06-05-2013 at 11:09 AM..

Old 06-05-2013, 11:00 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,206,203 times
If people want to get rid of the gang problem you need to cut gangs supply of youth.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:

^^^^^^yep. that's been a running theme in this thread. somehow even the kids who are trying to get an education are creating their own misery because they are there and are the same color as the bad kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies