Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 09:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,595,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Behind every stereotype is a grain of truth. In my opinion a community is defined by what it accepts. They can say we don't agree with thug like behavior, but if they accept it and do nothing about it, then thy own it.
Why are these so dangerous? They were not born thugs.
Sometimes a community cannot reject it though if there are no alternatives.
Go ahead and try to reject poverty and high crime rate neighborhoods and cries of discrimination, racism, profiling will fill the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 09:40 AM

73,103 posts, read 62,755,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
What I'm saying is that in general, all through the ranks, from K-12 and even beyond in some instances, education is largely a joke. If you can't even secure a HS diploma, dear God...

There is a saying called "charity 'D'" student, which in essence means you just show up today in a HS classroom and you're going to pass. That is entirely true.

The system is a joke.
I knew plenty of kids who "showed up" and still failed miserably. And this was in the suburbs. But what does my point have to do with being unteachable? I was trying to disprove someone else's point.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:44 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,524,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
HS diplomas literally are a joke today. Heck, college "diplomas" can be a total sham, in many instances. Just because some person has a diploma today does not make them an intellect. Personally I think federal aid (FAFSA - Pell grants) should not be given to many of the liberal arts fields. Math and Sciences undergrads should be heavily favored in the aid department. Personally I think this would fix a huge problem in funding in this arena.
green provides actually stats, something that has been missing from this thread, and now hs diplomas are a joke. can't win with you people (conservatives).

Old 06-05-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The schools need a lot more leeway to expel problem students. Get rid of the problem ones and let their parents deal with them. Then focus on teaching the ones that actually are willing to act like humans instead of animals and want to learn. Not a black thing, should happen in any school. Part of the reason NCLB was such a disaster.
I agree. and these kids fighting in the halls need to be criminally charged and sent to alternative learning programs, like boot camp style schools.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:56 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,246,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sometimes a community cannot reject it though if there are no alternatives.
Go ahead and try to reject poverty and high crime rate neighborhoods and cries of discrimination, racism, profiling will fill the air.
Well why don't all poor people act like thugs? Why don't all low income communities share this problem?
High crime rates? Who empowers the criminals? The silent majority. The fine upstanding citizens who refuse to cooperate with law enforcement. I don't know nothin, I didn't see nothin.. Well that is called being the silent partner. Make excuses all you want, but excuses empower and reinforce the bad behavior.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:57 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,392,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
green provides actually stats, something that has been missing from this thread, and now hs diplomas are a joke. can't win with you people (conservatives).
So it's not? Okay, I'll admit it's something tangible, something that is an absolute must, and for some it's the first in their family (sadly), but seriously, the way some people act in the inner city today when getting a HS is laughable. I've been there and lived it. It's a step - a step in the right direction, for sure. But let's be honest here, it isn't a frigging doctorate.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The bolded addition is mine. You forgot to say that those who want to learn are HELD HOSTAGE in public schools like that. School vouchers/choice CANNOT happen soon enough. Liberate the kids who WANT to learn. Let the money follow the student to the best school to which they can be admitted. Why the hell are liberals so damned adamant about absolutely TRAPPING kids with potential in dead-end public schools like the one in the OP?
I am open to a voucher system, but all public schools should be required to meet certain standards to give children an equal learning opportunity. I went to parochial schools, but the public schools in my area were very nice. I know many people who went to public school their whole lives and ended up doing very well. I still don't have a bachelors degree, just an associates and some extra college credits.

Last edited by Californian34; 06-05-2013 at 10:07 AM..

Old 06-05-2013, 09:59 AM

73,103 posts, read 62,755,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
If you've never heard of a violent hispanic city,school or neighborhood you are either deaf,living in a bubble or hispanic and trying to deflect.

Ever been to a border town? Ever been to Mexico? How about the barrios in L.A.?

You may want to do some research and re-evaluate your post.
Said person has an extreme disdain for Blacks. There are violent Hispanic neighborhoods. There is also violence between Blacks and Hispanics. In California, Blacks are being driven out of certain neighborhoods because of the violence.

Attack on family in Compton latest incident in wave of anti-black violence - Los Angeles Times

In Atlanta, Hispanic gangs started forming because some of the Hispanic residents were being victimized and harasssed.

Gangland: La Gran Familia, LGF. Dixie, Atlanta, GA. - YouTube

There are also the Latin Kings in New York.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/12/ny...anted=all&_r=0

There are also Asian gangs, such as AZN Boys, TRG, MOD, the Triads, etc.
Another gang member found guilty in slaying of Tibetans at pool hall | StarTribune.com

Gangland: TRG, Tiny Raskal Gang. Fresno, California. - YouTube

Old 06-05-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Behind every stereotype is a grain of truth. In my opinion a community is defined by what it accepts. They can say we don't agree with thug like behavior, but if they accept it and do nothing about it, then thy own it.
Why are these so dangerous? They were not born thugs.
so whites are allowed to be individuals, but blacks are "defined by what it accepts"? there are plenty of white people who lead less than wholesome lives. does the white community accept that?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,595,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I am open to a voucher system, but all public schools should be required to meet certain standards to give children an equal learning opportunity. I went to parochial schools, but the public schools in my area were very nice. I know many people I grew up with who went to public school their whole life and ended up doing very well. I still don't have a bachelors degree, just an associates and some extra college credits.
It's called NCLB and was signed into law in 2001.
How's that working out for ya ?

Oh..we can't achieve 100% passing by next year ?
Ok, apply for a waiver and move to the new program called Race To the Top.
Now we'll hold teachers accountable for failing test scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies