Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 09:19 AM

89,295 posts, read 45,022,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
it is terrible that kids who actually want to learn are terrorized by kids who should quite obviously be in some sort of disciplinary program. you can see the lack of parental concern in many aspects of the video; the parents who don't show up for conferences or the tattoos all over the children at the school. but do not mistake this for a black problem. this is a problem for those who are already there. my kids do not have this problem like millions of other black kids. the people in this story are poor and powerless [AND TRAPPED IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL!], that is the difference.
The bolded addition is mine. You forgot to say that those who want to learn are HELD HOSTAGE in public schools like that. School vouchers/choice CANNOT happen soon enough. Liberate the kids who WANT to learn. Let the money follow the student to the best school to which they can be admitted. Why the hell are liberals so damned adamant about absolutely TRAPPING kids with potential in dead-end public schools like the one in the OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 09:20 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,394,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I never said a HS diploma was enough. I was responding to someone who said Blacks were "unteachable", so I had to prove said persons wrong. And what does the rest of what you have said have to do with the things I was responding to?
What I'm saying is that in general, all through the ranks, from K-12 and even beyond in some instances, education is largely a joke. If you can't even secure a HS diploma, dear God...

There is a saying called "charity 'D'" student, which in essence means you just show up today in a HS classroom and you're going to pass. That is entirely true.

The system is a joke.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,619,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
What I'm saying is that in general, all through the ranks, from K-12 and even beyond in some instances, education is largely a joke. If you can't even secure a HS diploma, dear God...

There is a saying called "charity 'D'" student, which in essence means you just show up today in a HS classroom and you're going to pass. That is entirely true.

The system is a joke.
And if they fail the school board can rubber stamp promotion based on "potential".

Old 06-05-2013, 09:30 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,525,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archon445 View Post
Well I'm sorry but facts don't lie.

Black graduation rates are 20% lower than hispanic graduation rates yet hispanics are significantly poorer. So it's not poverty.

Besides. There's always exceptions to rules.

Not every asian gets good grades either.
do you have a source for that 20%? also, this would be a good time to point out to you, since most people already know, that what you refer to as Hispanic can be a person of any race.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
And yet, as I watched the video, I found many Black kids who wanted to learn, who were teachable, who just needed to get away from a rough environment.
Exactly! Those kids should NOT be TRAPPED in that environment! It's a travesty! Mandated by liberals/Democrats. Can't have anyone breaking free and excelling now, can we?

Old 06-05-2013, 09:34 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,252,098 times
Behind every stereotype is a grain of truth. In my opinion a community is defined by what it accepts. They can say we don't agree with thug like behavior, but if they accept it and do nothing about it, then thy own it.
Why are these so dangerous? They were not born thugs.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:35 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,102,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archon445 View Post
I don't hear about violent hispanic cities, schools or neighborhoods. Only black.

I'm as real as it gets.
If you've never heard of a violent hispanic city,school or neighborhood you are either deaf,living in a bubble or hispanic and trying to deflect.

Ever been to a border town? Ever been to Mexico? How about the barrios in L.A.?

You may want to do some research and re-evaluate your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
He didn't close them because they were failing or because they were dangerous or because they were black, he closed them to save money. And in doing so he endangered the health and safety of many kids, who now will have to cross gang territorial boundaries to get to school. Way to go, libs!
You are SPOT ON in that assessment.

Chicago Kids Say They're Assigned To Gangs According To Where They Live : NPR

86,052 posts, read 84,619,694 times
I'm all for vouchers. Let the money follow the kid and let the parents choose the school.
That will change the schools and give the kids a real chance at education.

Leave the rest in public school system since the government doesn't think they are a problem.
Let public school turn into one big "Alternative education system" while the others get educated.

What we have now and the path we are going down is not working.
In the span of NCLB the US has fallen from #18 in Math to #31 in Math in global standing.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:38 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,525,514 times
Quote:
Actually, according to this: Graduation Rates, by State and Race - NYTimes.com

Black high school graduation rates are around 61.5 percent and Hispanic high school graduation rates are around 63.5 percent, so I believe that you are wrong.

While the graduation rates could be alot better for bother groups, what this shows, is that at least 61% of Black students were teachable, and show that it isn't most.
Interactive: State High School Graduation Rates by Race, Ethnicity - NationalJournal.com

I found this interactive map if the poster you are replying to is actually interested in facts. he's not. in some states the African American rate is higher than the Hispanic rate. where he got the 20% disparity from is anyone's guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies