Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 07:14 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Any person has freedom of religion. That said, America was founded and established by Christian men. ......SNIP

You have inserted Christian in there, to push an agenda to place your religion, above all others.

America was founded by men, that held their GOD close to their hearts.
George Washington was not Christian. He believed in a higher power,(his god) but not Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 07:38 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You have inserted Christian in there, to push an agenda to place your religion, above all others.

America was founded by men, that held their GOD close to their hearts.
George Washington was not Christian. He believed in a higher power,(his god) but not Christ.

I am not an acknowledged expert on Washington but I've never seen any quote attributed to him that would back up the statement that he did not believe in Christ.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:04 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Any person has freedom of religion. That said, America was founded and established by Christian men. Our laws, as validated by founders' writings, clearly state that our government works hand in hand with God (obviously, Yahweh). Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Shintoism, or various other religions, play no role in this nation's founding. They are not on an equal setting, in terms of using faith within an institutional setting. Our laws were inspired by the Ten Commandments, for crying out loud.
Please point out where in the Constitution, our founding document, it states that our government works hand in hand with God. Thanks.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:06 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
If that's the case, then why have so many atheists and other God-haters come out against people speaking their religious viewpoints in a government institution? That doesn't gel with our historical founding who did use expressions of faith while working in a government setting. Thus, you seem to be confirming with your comments that the atheists are out of line. Thanks for admitting the truth.
There aren't so many of them. They're just loud, obnoxious, and in-your-face about their non-beliefs. Or just plain intolerant!

Old 06-09-2013, 08:41 PM

26,500 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
If it was a Muslim prayer, ending with "Allahu Akbar!" you can bet the same people would be screaming bloody murder.
This kind of behavior goes both ways.

I remember in college during a class discussion, students were upset that a tiny (like a dozen kids per grade or less) rural U.P. school shuts down for a period and families have the option to attend Catholic mass.

Later in the school year, students were happy in the name of diversity that a Dearborn big city/suburb school let Muslim students have time off for optional prayer in the middle of the school day.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:55 PM

811 posts, read 1,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The USA is not a theocracy. Our laws are not based on the ten commandments. For example, coveting is the foundation of capitalism. Every non-christian country has laws that forbid stealing and killing.
Then what about original supreme court justice stating that you can't separate human law from divine law? This isn't evidence for a Theocracy. It doesn't seem that you realize the difference between a Theocracy and a government that pays homage to religious foundation for law, while at the same time allowing religious expression in public and private.

A Theocracy would state that Christianity, or some other religion, was the state religion. It would also prohibit religious expression that does not match with the state religion. It would, furthermore, prohibit speech that is counter to the state religion. In many cases, a tax would be applied, of which would go to support the state church.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:09 PM

811 posts, read 1,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Please point out where in the Constitution, our founding document, it states that our government works hand in hand with God. Thanks.
Doesn't the Declaration of Independence state that our rights come from God? Wasn't the Declaration signed by many of the same men who signed the Constitution? Didn't the writer of the Constitution state that religion is the only solid basis of good morals, and that [public/government]education should teach the precepts of religion and the duties of man toward God? What's more, another founder on the supreme court said that you couldn't separate human law from divine law. They were inseparable.

You've really got a weak argument if you claim that God has no place in our government, especially when:

1) 238 of 250 founding fathers were Christians, many of them founders of Bible societies, track societies, Sunday School associations, hymn books and the like.

2) The same founders signed a Declaration of Independence that states that our rights from God, and of which acknowledges the Creator.

3) These same founders then go on and write a Constitution, of which incorporates the ideas that God is the basis for our foundation of law.

4) These same founders, especially those of the judicial branch, who interpret the law, state that you can't separate God's law from human law. This, after the signing of the Constitution, of which they signed.

Weak argument, bud. You have nothing of substance, and you know it, but like all the people who want to deny our Christian heritage, you figure that if you twist reality enough, that people will simply believe you. Trust me, it isn't working. You figure that most people aren't educated enough about their history, that you can tell lie after lie and not be called on it, but I won't let you get away without the truth being told.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I am not an acknowledged expert on Washington but I've never seen any quote attributed to him that would back up the statement that he did not believe in Christ.

It is well known, George Washington was a Deist, not a Christian.
Go look it up yourself.
Get an education, the right way, instead of believing what you have been told.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post

Creator, is all encompassing.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:31 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is well known, George Washington was a Deist, not a Christian.
Go look it up yourself.
Get an education, the right way, instead of believing what you have been told.
Right, you just made it up. I thought so. As I said I have read a lot on it and I've never seen any such claims. I can not look up what is not there.

I have read in many places though that Obama is a Muslim so that must make it so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies