Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
what you "believe" and what is going on are two very different things,

yes we have alot to worry about, morons in congress wanting to pass laws infringing about a right they have not right or power to do so.
No point in even discussing this subject, considering your user ID. You "love" guns? You probably sleep with them too. Next you'll be telling me you're a Bible reading Christian. I can't imagine anyone "loving" their guns. I really like my computer a lot. I've been with my car for 6 years and it's been a great vehicle. But I don't "love" them. Anyone who "loves" guns must "love" to shoot things.

Hope you don't mind that I removed the red font color when I quoted you. Reminds me too much of blood. (it is also against the TOS and reserved for moderators)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 08:50 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,744,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
No point in even discussing this subject, considering your user ID. You "love" guns? You probably sleep with them too. Next you'll be telling me you're a Bible reading Christian. I can't imagine anyone "loving" their guns. I really like my computer a lot. I've been with my car for 6 years and it's been a great vehicle. But I don't "love" them. Anyone who "loves" guns must "love" to shoot things.

Hope you don't mind that I removed the red font color when I quoted you. Reminds me too much of blood. (it is also against the TOS and reserved for moderators)

well is your name telling us you are just Nancy, and have no last name?

I love what they represent, liberty, logic, reason, science(chemistry, metallurgy, physics, algebra, trigonometry) freedom, freedom from fear, tyranny, oppression, they are powerful tools for the good, honest, law abiding liberty loving people of this nation and all of people of the earth who refuse to submit to will of a tyrant and his power.

you don't want to discuss the subject because you will lose, our talking points are based on facts, information, logic, reason and common sense..yours are most based on lies, feelings, emotions and hyperbole.

as for my use of the red color, it is meant to draw contrast

Old 06-11-2013, 08:52 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,744,646 times
Quote:
I really don't need to know much about an AK-47 for personal use or knowledge. I was merely giving examples, but I'm sure you already know that.

Do I know the difference between one assault weapon and the other? Nope, you are correct. But I bet both of them would easily do the job if you wanted to kill me.

Maybe I should post something at 4AM and, when you don't immediately answer me, call you ignorant.
It's obvious you just want to make trouble instead of having a civil discussion.
why do you assume he or anyone for that matter whats to harm you? what would we gain from doing so?

Old 06-11-2013, 10:18 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
I really don't need to know much about an AK-47 for personal use or knowledge. I was merely giving examples, but I'm sure you already know that.
Except that you are advocating legislation that would regulate or ban them. Before you do this, don't you see it as prudent to have at the very least, a working knowlege of an AK-47 and it's many variants? The differnce between a true AK-47 and the ones available to the civilian market? If you don't know these things, on what grounds can you advocate their regulation?

Quote:
Do I know the difference between one assault weapon and the other? Nope, you are correct.
Than you have no business taking part in a debate on whether or not they should be regulated.
Quote:
But I bet both of them would easily do the job if you wanted to kill me.
So would a single shot, break barrel shotgun. Your point?

Quote:
Maybe I should post something at 4AM and, when you don't immediately answer me, call you ignorant.
Ah but see, you were posting in the thread at the same time I was replying to your messages, so I had every reason to believe you were ignoring me. If this was a misunderstanding, I sincerely apologize.

Secondly, you mistake the term ignorance to be an insult. Being ignorant doesn't mean you are stupid or anything like that, it just means that you have a very limited knowlege pertaining to a certain subject. By your own admission you are ignorant when it comes to firearms. I'm ignorant on a whole range of topics, but you won't see me in threads taking one side or another on these topics either. After all, I don't want to wind up with egg on my face when I can't intelligently defend my position.

Quote:
It's obvious you just want to make trouble instead of having a civil discussion.
I'm more than happy to have a civil debate/discussion with you Nancy, but when you make a claim, you should be able to back that claim up and defend it with facts. Ideally, you should know what you are talking about, wouldn't you agree?

Quote:
Why do you attack the poster instead of the contents of his post? Whats it matter what his handle is on here if his posts are sound and based on fact? I guess it's YOU who has no desire to have a civil discourse after all. Classic diversion tactic.

Secondly, whats wrong with having such an appreciation for firearms that you describe that appreciation as a love for them? Many of you call us "gun lovers" as an insult but I embrace the term. I have a love for guns, for the mechanics, the worksmanship, the beauty, and the durability that are all a part of what makes a fine gun. I also love what they represent. They aren't just tools, but a symbol of freedom, a freedom that so few in this world are able to enjoy as freely as those in this country. I also have a love for animals, so maybe you'd like to call me a Zoophiliac?

Quote:
Hope you don't mind that I removed the red font color when I quoted you. Reminds me too much of blood.
You're credibility is starting to slip away Nancy, I'd stop while I was ahead if I were you....

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 06-11-2013 at 10:29 PM..

Old 06-11-2013, 10:26 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
yours are most based on lies, feelings, emotions and hyperbole.
Nancy started out pretty reasonable, until she waded in waters she shouldn't have by bringing up "assault weapons".... As far as lying goes, I don't think she is lying about anything, because you would have to know the truth befoire you could fabricate a lie. Clearly she doesn't. She's just another victim of the lies of others, trusting but not verifying is her only offense. She probably even has good intentions, but you know what they say, the pathway to hell is paved with good intentions.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:57 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,076,143 times
With everything else going on this story was completely dropped by the media and both gun banners and 2nd amendment supporters seem to be focused elsewhere.
I guess its only news if they tell us it is.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:59 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Please show me. This is the latest update I can find. What state is trying to take away all guns from responsible citizens? It's possible I missed something.
Discussing why the 1994 act only prohibited the manufacture or import of assault weapons, instead of the possession and sale of them, Feinstein said on CBS-TV's 60 Minutes, February 5, 1995, "If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them . . . Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here."

Political positions of Dianne Feinstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Supreme Court Overturns Chicago Handgun Ban - DailyFinance

Old 06-12-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Oh, you won't get an argument from me that warnings were ignored. It happens all the time. There were several warnings before the 9/11 attacks.

I was only saying that people get upset when the government peeks into our lives but get more upset when they don't.
I have never been upset when they didn't peek into my life. Yes, those suspected of committing crimes do get upset and nobody is arguing that law enforcement upon probable cause through the proper channels should not be able to.

Quote:
I might have my head in the sand, but I honestly do not believe that people are listening to a phone call between my sister and me or reading my emails. As I've already written, I have Googled some words like AK-47 and MQ-9 Reaper, so maybe one day I'll get a call or a visit (I doubt it) or an agency will check out my contacts and travel activity. But I wouldn't be arrested or detained IMHO. I would explain I was posting and wanted to make sure I had the correct spelling or description, etc. Now, let's say I was a terrorist or just a madwoman who wanted to destroy the world or go on a shooting rampage. Wouldn't it be better if, before I purchased weapons and made plans to attack a school or a library, someone intercepted my plan?
You should never become a suspect simply because the government doesn't approve of the terms you use in a search.

As far as having your head in the sand goes, that is mostly IMO because the government has done it's best to keep it that way.

Justice Department Fights Release of Secret Court Opinion Finding Unconstitutional Surveillance

Justice Department Fights Release of Secret Court Opinion Finding Unconstitutional Surveillance | Mother Jones

This important case—all the more relevant in the wake of this week's disclosures—was triggered after Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), a member of the Senate intelligence committee, started crying foul in 2011 about US government snooping. As a member of the intelligence committee, he had learned about domestic surveillance activity affecting American citizens that he believed was improper.

Do we know what they were doing that raised such red flags? If these things had been properly vetted through the courts would there have been a need to get them before a court and have the court rule them unconstitutional?

There absolutely must be checks and balances. Luckily there was a senator to raise a concern here but as I said, whatever they were doing should have went before the courts first.

Quote:
I am not defending the government, but simply throwing out ideas, since I do not understand why anyone needs a high powered assault rifle or a drum that can shoot 100 rounds in seconds. Believe me, I don't like government intervention, but also think sensible gun laws aren't about big government, just about common sense.
The government was not created to determine what we need. You do not need to be on here even discussing things like this. In an earlier attempt the government did take steps to curb your activities in McCain/Feingold but luckily once again we had the courts.

You can not give an inch of your rights away.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
With everything else going on this story was completely dropped by the media and both gun banners and 2nd amendment supporters seem to be focused elsewhere.
I guess its only news if they tell us it is.
It was dropped IMO because the once again we had a shooter with mental issues and for whatever reason the country is unwilling to have that discussion.

IMO if he had been some sort of "radical" with a bone to pick with the government it would still be front and center.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
The only thing I can say about the "we need bigger penalties for gun violations" crowd in CA is "since most of the violators that you're talking about end up dead what would you propose?"
The only thing you could possibly do is dig 'em up and shoot them again or place their corpse in prison which I think CARB or one of the myriad of environmental groups would throw a hissy about.

One question I do have though, does CA force doctors or funeral homes to remove the bullets from the dead killer? Wouldn't want to bury them with LEAD in them! Might hurt the 3 toed newt or spotted owl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies