Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 05:32 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You know what's funny? You actually think that the Republican party is for small government.
While others actually think it's for the little guy. When in power both parties are for the big corporations. When out, both claim to be for other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 05:43 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Today's liberals believe they have the freedom to raid the pockets of productive, working citizens, and keep them in poverty.

Fixed that for you.
Today's conservatives believe they have the right to raid the pockets of Americans and use those $$$ pursuing their delusional desire to remake the world in their image.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:46 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I do love a graphic!
Excellent!

Best illustration so far Of course, the second sign would include and a homophobe after racist.

Today's "liberals" are totalitarian oppressors and thought police in purest form.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:21 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
I don't think I know anyone who'd describe themselves as a "liberal." I think the RWNJs are a lot like the American Taliban, KKK, etc. ... in that they spend most of their waking hours worrying about conspiracies and 'end of the world' scenarios which don't exist. Most of us in the country probably describe ourselves as "moderate."

Old 06-10-2013, 07:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I describe myself as LIBERAL including my beliefs in the Individual Right to be armed to protect your personal Liberty and freedom from violent crime. I am strongly against any form of business market manipulation, patent abuse and effective monopoly by government protection and collusion. I believe in free markets that include individual people exercising their ability to use their Liberty to participate without restriction or collusion. For instance I do not believe our corporate Military Industrial Complex has the right, and should not have the Liberty, to force us into a Forever War for their own profit and our loss.

I am a LIBERAL because I believe in Individual Liberty not corporate collusion and control. This makes me a bit cross ways with the Democrats and completely opposed to the Republicans.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:53 AM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
60's liberalism:
"A theory in economics emphasizing individual freedom from restraint and usually based on free competition, the self-regulating market. Intention to detach from the government and the establishment, become independent entrepreneurs dependent only upon ourselves for our survival. We rejected the established rules of society and encouraged individuality, freedom, and liberty. We found ways to support ourselves through our own ingenuity. We wanted no ties to the government or the established system at all.
There's a word for that

Libertarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-10-2013, 07:55 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I miss the 60's. At least the liberals of that decade were actually intelligent. We raged against the "machine" .....remember?
They still rage against the machine, but only when GOP is in powrer. And GOP rages against the machine, but only when Dems are in power. Sad, but true.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:33 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
This is the original article that the chain mail edited for its agenda.

Great American Journal - Editor

Evidently neither the OP nor the people passing the chain mail around have any respect for copyright laws.

And worth noting, it is these same people who try to assert that the GOP hasn't changed in 150 years, that the Republicans still have the exact same values, same political goals, unchanging since they elected Lincoln. But liberalism has radically changed in only a third of that time.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:57 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I don't really see much now different. I see the same whatever turns you on. The difference is that they how ignore lawsw when they see them as not wanted or just by actually using political influence to have state and local governments to do things like pass marijuana laws when its against federal law. Same with illegals in the country in which case the Federal followed the states in just ignoring or even assisting those who break the law. The rule of law is broken: IMO. It changes with whatever political power comes into power. We now see government ignoring supreme court rulings on reasonable searches. All abused on whatever one believes. There are methods of change that are legal but you have to get the overwhelming support or go to the courts.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Today's liberalism is a direct descendant of the 60's liberalism both Republican and Democratic Parties and both are the same political philosophies born of the Great Depression and populist movements of the era. There hasn't been a lot of change if you know the political history of American politics. What has changed is the bat****te crazies of the Right taking full control of the Republican Party that in the post New Deal world that had a grasp on reality.

Take for example Roe v Wade, of the seven Justices who ruled in favor of abortion only three were appointees of Democratic presidents. So-called Obamacare traces its origins to a 1989 proposal put forth by the conservative Heritage Foundation.

So who has changed based upon policy... it hasn't been the liberal side of the political spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies