Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 05:58 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,216,697 times

Advertisements

Sounds to me that people should be angry at Phili school boards not the state. Phili has mismanaged their system so badly that worse case scenario is now upon them. Yet another reason to avoid these big cities.
Good Ole Ed former Gov of Pa made a deal with the devil and got PA into the gambling business. All those massive profits were supposed to go towards lowering property taxes and paying for things like schools.
My taxes went up, but I'll say Elk Lake school district is doing just fine. We don't have a football team tho.
LOL The kids somehow survive without it.
Do the school districts in Phili have football teams and sports programs that benefit a very small percentage of the students? Shut those programs down and save some money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,929,815 times
How Wall Street took $331 million from Philly and its schools | Philadelphia City Paper | 01/17/2012

Budget deficit: $304 Million

Through "Interest Rate Swaps" Wall Street firms including Wells Fargo, Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch, Citigroup and Goldman Sachs have cost Philadelphia taxpayers $331 Million.

"The School District has paid out $63 million to Wall Street banks just to cancel five agreements, and the city has paid an estimated $52.4 million-plus".

Too powerful to fail Banks have also profited from taxpayers of cities such as Denver and Birmingham by "gambling with public money".

Hey look, even more money that could've been used for our youth and schools. I agree that there is waste in all bureaucracies but people sound nieve acting like the School District is the only perpetrator of this. Between money manipulation and wasteful endeavors like building prisons, it is a crime that Education is not a priority in our profit first and fast society.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:35 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,250,177 times
if education is a priority then somebody should be asking the school district that and why its wasting money. you can't blame harrisburg for budget shortfalls if you are not even going to balance a budget and face reality. Not to mention the corrupt teacher union. I don't care that the city paper says. It's just another commie rag like the Philadelphia daily news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
How Wall Street took $331 million from Philly and its schools | Philadelphia City Paper | 01/17/2012

Budget deficit: $304 Million

Through "Interest Rate Swaps" Wall Street firms including Wells Fargo, Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch, Citigroup and Goldman Sachs have cost Philadelphia taxpayers $331 Million.

"The School District has paid out $63 million to Wall Street banks just to cancel five agreements, and the city has paid an estimated $52.4 million-plus".

Too powerful to fail Banks have also profited from taxpayers of cities such as Denver and Birmingham by "gambling with public money".

Hey look, even more money that could've been used for our youth and schools. I agree that there is waste in all bureaucracies but people sound nieve acting like the School District is the only perpetrator of this. Between money manipulation and wasteful endeavors like building prisons, it is a crime that Education is not a priority in our profit first and fast society.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:45 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,929,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
if education is a priority then somebody should be asking the school district that and why its wasting money. you can't blame harrisburg for budget shortfalls if you are not even going to balance a budget and face reality. Not to mention the corrupt teacher union. I don't care that the city paper says. It's just another commie rag like the Philadelphia daily news.
You didn't comprehend one thing I just said about how it's completely hypocritical to complain about waste in The School District yet ignore wasteful endeavors like building Billions of dollars worth of Prisons, spending $17 Billion each year fighting a plant that has never harmed a human, spending Trillions in the Middle East blowing up things and rebuilding them, having tax-payer money be manipulated by monopilistic "Too big to Fail" Banks and even the Federal Reserve printing Trillions in US Dollars via quantitive easing that not only creates money out of thin air but funnels it directly to the 1%.

There is money and there is waste all over, but education is simply not a priority and people like you prove it everyday.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:08 AM

Yeah I did comprehend what you said. I just don't agree with that part. I've been hearing that line for many a year about how we incarcerate so many people and build more prisons. but don't spend "enough" on education. PA could spend a trillion dollars on Philadelphia alone and people like you would still be crying poor mouth.

Everybody was affected by the "too big to fail banks", what makes the school district any different? Corbett and nobody else got them into this mess. it was brewing for years out of control because of waste, greed and corruption.

If we did not build more prisons and close the old ones, people would be screaming about over crowded and the deplorable conditions in those facilities. but that is another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
You didn't comprehend one thing I just said about how it's completely hypocritical to complain about waste in The School District yet ignore wasteful endeavors like building Billions of dollars worth of Prisons, spending $17 Billion each year fighting a plant that has never harmed a human, spending Trillions in the Middle East blowing up things and rebuilding them, having tax-payer money be manipulated by monopilistic "Too big to Fail" Banks and even the Federal Reserve printing Trillions in US Dollars via quantitive easing that not only creates money out of thin air but funnels it directly to the 1%.

There is money and there is waste all over, but education is simply not a priority and people like you prove it everyday.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:18 AM

13,413 posts, read 9,947,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
and the other quesion is, why did they need to take out that 300 million dollar loan in the first place?
I think the state really needs to come in, fire everybody and just take over operations completely or split the PSD up into smaller manageable districts.
Yes that's the question. And you all can debate the politics of it till the cows com home. I just want - at the moment - for my kid to be able to stay in her very good school.

That's my first priority. Once that's accomplished, we can try and vote in a different system. But that will take years, and my daughter needs to go to back to school in a couple of months. That's the immediate reality for parents.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:23 AM

I really do not see anything changing for the good in the near future. The status quo is too entrenched and not interested in fixing the core of the problem(s). They are more interested in putting more patches on a broken tire that should have been tossed out years ago. We need party change in Philadelphia first and foremost for the greater good of the city as well as the schools. Secondly, encourage school vouchers. They have worked else where but the unions and public schools don't want the average person to know that. Or break the entire PSD up into different districts altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yes that's the question. And you all can debate the politics of it till the cows com home. I just want - at the moment - for my kid to be able to stay in her very good school.

That's my first priority. Once that's accomplished, we can try and vote in a different system. But that will take years, and my daughter needs to go to back to school in a couple of months. That's the immediate reality for parents.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 AM

78,352 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post

You cannot vote in a different system when there is only one choice on the ballot.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:38 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,216,697 times
Basic Analytical Troubleshooting teaches us to ask some basic questions to look for root cause.
What changed?
What's different?
When did it begin?
Are all Pa schools facing the same problem?
In short no not all Pa schools are facing this issue.
Phili choked. They didn't react soon enough or appropriately enough.
Now some how it has become Tom Corbett's fault. I am no great fan of our Gov, but lets face it good ole Ed and Bob Casey Senior ran us into the red.
We have gas revenues that should be taxed as Wyoming does. I blame Corbett for this failing.
Phili schools? I would say the people who live there voted for the people who did it.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:48 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,849,411 times
I find it unusual that people (mostly liberals) think that school closures = kids don't go to school anymore... or that kids going to this particular non-achieving school is going to make them more successful for no reason at all... excuse me, but I am not that stupid...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies